Water bill nightmare.

Birdie dog

DIS Veteran
I have gotten much more responsible about budgeting, saving and paying down debt. I was really proud of myself, and now I have this to show for it...

I pay all of my bills with my SW CC to get the points. Then, when I get my CC bill, I pay it in full. It's a system that works for me. Well, this month's bill was higher than I was expecting so I went online to check my statement carefully. My water bill which is around $60 per month was billed at $255. I called my water company who not only said that my bill was correct but that this months bill is $385(!) We are a family of two. We take daily showers, probably wash 6 loads of clothes per week. We have no irrigation system, no pool, no leaks. As a matter of fact, when I finally spoke to a supervisor today she said that the reader showed that we didn't have a leak, "because our usage is normal, and then you use a large amount of water- sometimes for over 24 hours). I argued that it simply isn't possible. Not only do we have no way to use that kind of water, we'd have a lake in our yard if we did! ( We had a pool at our old house and our water bill was cheaper when we filled then pool than this month's bill is). She then got out my "usage sheet" to tell me specific dates and times that water usage was abnormally high. A couple dates definitely stood out because the days she listed there was no one home ( I work 12 hours in the ER and my husband basically works 9-5 and she's giving me dates I know I was at work and he was in the office). So, we're looking at over $600 in water that I didn't use and there appears to be no recourse. Even if I can prove there was no one in the house to turn the water on, we're still responsible for the bills.

I'd love some advice on this because I am just sick that so much money is flying out the window for nothing.

I have gotten much more responsible about budgeting, saving and paying down debt. I was really proud of myself, and now I have this to show for it...

I pay all of my bills with my SW CC to get the points. Then, when I get my CC bill, I pay it in full. It's a system that works for me. Well, this month's bill was higher than I was expecting so I went online to check my statement carefully. My water bill which is around $60 per month was billed at $255. I called my water company who not only said that my bill was correct but that this months bill is $385(!) We are a family of two. We take daily showers, probably wash 6 loads of clothes per week. We have no irrigation system, no pool, no leaks. As a matter of fact, when I finally spoke to a supervisor today she said that the reader showed that we didn't have a leak, "because our usage is normal, and then you use a large amount of water- sometimes for over 24 hours). I argued that it simply isn't possible. Not only do we have no way to use that kind of water, we'd have a lake in our yard if we did! ( We had a pool at our old house and our water bill was cheaper when we filled then pool than this month's bill is). She then got out my "usage sheet" to tell me specific dates and times that water usage was abnormally high. A couple dates definitely stood out because the days she listed there was no one home ( I work 12 hours in the ER and my husband basically works 9-5 and she's giving me dates I know I was at work and he was in the office). So, we're looking at over $600 in water that I didn't use and there appears to be no recourse. Even if I can prove there was no one in the house to turn the water on, we're still responsible for the bills.

I'd love some advice on this because I am just sick that so much money is flying out the window for nothing.
Is your water meter digital? If so it could have a defective sensor. It’s also possible someone has hacked it (sounds crazy but according to Google it happens).
Utilities are generally regulated by the state. I would contact them if the water company can’t resolve the issue.
Take a meter reading in the morning before you leave for work and then shut off the water supply. If your meter reading is higher when you come home at night something is definitely wrong with the meter.

I've no idea how your water company operates regarding oversight but first I would pull up your bill for the prior 2 years and see if the historical data is comparative or not. Should there be a sudden jump somewhere in this year that's not related to a rate hike I see two distinct possibilities: the water meter needs recalibration or there is a leak. I've no idea who is responsible for either action but I'm sure your bill or the company's website will tell you.

HTH

We have a new "computer reader" that shows use hourly. That's why I know that some of the dates we were using a lot of water, we weren't home. The water company is sending someone to check the reader, but I'm not getting any other offers of assistance.

Is your water meter digital? If so it could have a defective sensor. It’s also possible someone has hacked it (sounds crazy but according to Google it happens).
Utilities are generally regulated by the state. I would contact them if the water company can’t resolve the issue.
Take a meter reading in the morning before you leave for work and then shut off the water supply. If your meter reading is higher when you come home at night something is definitely wrong with the meter.
Our Bill in March was $57, April $60, May $85 ( we did some planting so I'm not contesting that bill at all) June $255, and July $385. There has been zero change in our household dynamics and our "average bill" is $60 a month.

Another thing to consider if they are able to pinpoint down the exact days is it possible a toilet was leaking or a faucet dripping or left on?

Proving you weren't home means nothing with respects to these kinds of things because usage isn't connected to someone physically being there or not. I could leave my a/c blasting all day long causing a higher electricity usage--I can't very well say "well no one was home". I can have a faucet accidently left on causing higher usage but I can't very well say "no one was home"

Sometimes it's a leak in the water lines and that can be your responsibility depending on how your lines are handled.

It can for sure be a meter issue but it can for sure not be a meter issue too.

Another thing to consider if they are able to pinpoint down the exact days is it possible a toilet was leaking or a faucet dripping or left on?

Proving you weren't home means nothing with respects to these kinds of things because usage isn't connected to someone physically being there or not. I could leave my a/c blasting all day long causing a higher electricity usage--I can't very well say "well no one was home". I can have a faucet accidently left on causing higher usage but I can't very well say "no one was home"

Sometimes it's a leak in the water lines and that can be your responsibility depending on how your lines are handled.

It can for sure be a meter issue but it can for sure not be a meter issue too.

I was told by the supervisor today that the usage does *not* appear to be a leak. Basically they're saying that some days my water usage is normal, and then suddenly I'm using copious amounts of water. They are pinpointing days and even times ( with the new meter) that this is happening and that's why it's important in my perspective. I was told that I had a "surge" of water usage on a Friday from 2-5, more than 20 gallons a minute being used. I work every Friday from 7-7 and my husband gets home at 5, There's *no one* at my house to turn my water on at 2.

I should add that we live in an elevated house so I am sure there are no leaks, no water under our house ( we park under it and use it as garage space) no water in the house upstairs, floors, ceilings etc. Considering that my water bill is 6 X what it normally is, I'd think if I had a leak that large, I'd see it somewhere.

We have a new "computer reader" that shows use hourly. That's why I know that some of the dates we were using a lot of water, we weren't home. The water company is sending someone to check the reader, but I'm not getting any other offers of assistance.
If it’s not the meter you should consider calling a plumber. If you’ve got a leak in your water main or under your house you need to know.

If you find a leak you could call the water co and find out if there is any one time type credit they can apply to your account to help mitigate the cost. I had that happen in a building I manage and the water company cut the cost of the leak in half when I told them what had been the cause of it and that I had fixed it. But, you have to know what the problem is first obviously.

When the person comes from the water company next week I'll talk to him, and if needed I'll get a plumber. I just can't imagine there's a leak because nothing is wet anywhere.

I was told by the supervisor today that the usage does *not* appear to be a leak. Basically they're saying that some days my water usage is normal, and then suddenly I'm using copious amounts of water. They are pinpointing days and even times ( with the new meter) that this is happening and that's why it's important in my perspective. I was told that I had a "surge" of water usage on a Friday from 2-5, more than 20 gallons a minute being used. I work every Friday from 7-7 and my husband gets home at 5, There's *no one* at my house to turn my water on at 2.

I should add that we live in an elevated house so I am sure there are no leaks, no water under our house ( we park under it and use it as garage space) no water in the house upstairs, floors, ceilings etc. Considering that my water bill is 6 X what it normally is, I'd think if I had a leak that large, I'd see it somewhere.
If you think someone is stealing your water you’ll need to set up cameras. Aside from shutting off your water every day forever that’s the only way you’ll find out if that’s happening. If you catch them on the cameras you’ll have something to take to the police.

ETA: 20 gallons a minute?! Smokes, just saw that. Edited as appropriate based on that- That’s indeed crazy!

We had this happen years ago. Our bills were max $40 even in the summer when it was 110 degrees. Suddenly I was getting bills for $230-$300. Also had new meters. My DH kept saying the same as you, there couldn’t be a leak because nothing is wet. The people on the phone were no help but I insisted someone come out anyway. Guess what? Leak in the water main that went through our front yard. They ended up fixing it and reversed the charges.

Something to remember is that the guys who come out aren’t the people you’re talking to on the phone. The people on the phone are just reading your bill. The ones who come out do this everyday and will help you find the problem. That it’s huge amounts during certain times makes me think a faulty meter. Or someone is stealing your water but you would think if that was happening a neighbor might mention it. That’s a LOT of water over a long period of time. Someone would have to notice strangers hanging out in your driveway using your water.

Apologies for my long post :)

Firstly I hope things work out for you!

Like I said it could be an issue with the meter. I was just saying I wouldn't rule out other things.

Just to give some information on leakage----
Here's what my city defines is the owner's responsibility:
The property owner is responsible for maintaining:
  • The water service line from the meter to the property owner’s building.
  • The plumbing inside the residence or commercial building.
  • The property owner retains a local plumber to repair their water leak.
Water Leak Maintained by the City
The City is responsible for maintaining
  • The water line leading to the meter on private property.
  • The water meter.
Yours might be different though. Just using mine as a reference point.
---------------------------------------
It is interesting to say the least that the most usages is from 2-5; wonder if there are pressure issues arising from somewhere else maybe causing a surge of water *if* you had a leak. I would find that odd that a faulty meter would cause a specific false reading for exact times from 2-5 especially as you say it reflects hourly usages but technology can surprise us lol and I admit I wouldn't know enough about the meters to know if that's a very plausible issue.

This isn't directly related to your issue but I thought I would share it because you were discussing physical evidence of a leak. My mom's house is from the '60s and there are very mature trees around. She would have sewer back ups often enough in the basement (thankfully unfinished) and she would get a call out and most often it was tree roots in the clay pipes. Well she would get most of the tree roots out but not too long after she had that done we had a ton of rain and she had another backup. It was frustrating to say the least. Well she ended up breaking down and had a more in-depth camera scope done (it cost a lot more than a more shallow look). Turns out there were cracks in the clay pipe from tree roots right by the street but the kicker was when we would get a ton of rain it overloaded the cracks, with steady but low rain the water could leak out from the cracks into the soil with no issues. So hers ended up being a leak that you wouldn't be able to see. She got it fixed with a new sewer pipe which should help for at least a while. Like I said not directly related to your situation though.

Omg ... crazy op. I can certainly appreciate your frustration. I hope it’s some crazy meter glitch and you can’t get some money back.
I’d get some hidden cameras near your watercolor sources and watch for a week or more.
If it Is someone stealing.. I’d file a police report, and press charges.

Best of luck! I hope you ll update us.

Watch your meter and write down the numbers, you can see water usage there. If you have a leak after the meter , the meter will run ( go up). Ask the water company to test the meter. They will take out the old one, and test it and install a new one. They should credit you if its broken. If you have a leak it will be apparent on the meter itself, it will constantly run. You dont need a plumber to figure this part out. If you dont have a leak, and the meter tests ok, someone may be opening up the outside spigot, but i dought that. It would have to be consistently over the period billed and shut off and not leave evidance of water use behind. Good luck and make them test the meter.

On my end the piping is the responsibility of the property owner up to the connection point which is normally located in the middle of the street. As well the maintenance of the water meter whether it was installed by the city or not is the property owner's. Most repair or replacement work has to be signed off by a master plumber when it comes to water supply and sewage lines here.

Unfortunately, there is no national standard when it comes to who is responsible for what so you have to read your rules and regulations.

GL with this.

Do you have a neighbor with a pool that is filling it when they know you are working all day?

I hope you figure it out. Seems like the meter to me. Super frustrating I'm sure!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter