Watching resale: prices climbing!!

Just received yet another mail with sales listings. This one had OKW(e) with 260 points asking $120 pp. even though the contract has some 2016 and all 2017 points that is still way to much imho.

I know it’s only asking, still I don’t understand. :sad2:

About $5500 cheaper then buying direct. Although 3 months ago it probably would have been less then $90 a point

I just put in for a contract for wilderness lodge at 110 for 25 points. It has I think 30 years on the contract. And that is another thing a lot of the buyers need to look at is how much time is left on the contract.
I also had a friend who was looking at buying resale, but when she did the math resale didn't add up. You are getting hopefully 20 dollars plus off of each point, but if you are financing it, chances are in the end you will be paying the same if you had bought it straight through Disney.

I just put in for a contract for wilderness lodge at 110 for 25 points. It has I think 30 years on the contract. And that is another thing a lot of the buyers need to look at is how much time is left on the contract.
I also had a friend who was looking at buying resale, but when she did the math resale didn't add up. You are getting hopefully 20 dollars plus off of each point, but if you are financing it, chances are in the end you will be paying the same if you had bought it straight through Disney.
I paid $100 for 50 OKW extended which has 40 years left. At the time I thought I overpaid since prior to that they were going for $80-$90.
But with the extended dat eI thought it was worth it. Now I'm glad I did as Ive seen OKW at $110-$120

DVC prices will come down when the economy crashes. If it doesn't they won't come down much. If the economy crashes, its a great time to buy - but only if you have the security to pull off a luxury purchase in a recession.

I paid $100 for 50 OKW extended which has 40 years left. At the time I thought I overpaid since prior to that they were going for $80-$90.
But with the extended dat eI thought it was worth it. Now I'm glad I did as Ive seen OKW at $110-$120
Yeah, boardwalk used to be available for under 100 too. I was thinking that 110 is still fair for the small amount available.

The thing is, it really doesn't matter if we think the prices are inflated, ridiculous, or whatever. Many people make a decision to purchase DVC prior to knowing the price per point. Then the choice is between paying resale prices (whatever they happen to be) or paying direct prices. I'm not so sure how many people are even aware of the pricing trends, and I think the majority make the decision with a "moment in time" perspective.

I first purchased BWV resale in 2012 for $62 per point. Earlier this year when we needed more points, I added on at $96 per point because that was a good deal in the current market. If I was forever stuck comparing to what was in the past, it would be hard to pull the trigger and we would have shorter stays in smaller rooms.

The prices are out of control. I'm beginning to feel like we missed the bus. It's beginning to make way more sense just to go direct.

The prices are out of control. I'm beginning to feel like we missed the bus. It's beginning to make way more sense just to go direct.
OKW still has some fair prices out there, the end date is what you would need to watch out for.

I am wondering even with the increase in resale prices -- has anyone calculated if at these current prices there still a savings - compared to direct or compared to a discounted Disney room? If there is still a savings we will still see them selling even though we may feel theses are inflated prices.

Yes they might be higher than what we have paid in the past for resale but for someone new coming in they may see that there is still a significant enough savings buying AKL at $120 per point resale vs a direct AKL vs a direct newer resort or vs direct hotel room from Disney.

I would imaging there is some sort of breaking point where buying resale no longer makes sense and no longer provides the savings worth the effort and time of going through resale, but what is that price per point where this occurs?

I am not in the resale market as we speak (having just bought resale in 2015), but the thought of an addon is always looming in my mind.

I am wondering even with the increase in resale prices -- has anyone calculated if at these current prices there still a savings - compared to direct or compared to a discounted Disney room? If there is still a savings we will still see them selling even though we may feel theses are inflated prices.

Yes they might be higher than what we have paid in the past for resale but for someone new coming in they may see that there is still a significant enough savings buying AKL at $120 per point resale vs a direct AKL vs a direct newer resort or vs direct hotel room from Disney.

I would imaging there is some sort of breaking point where buying resale no longer makes sense and no longer provides the savings worth the effort and time of going through resale, but what is that price per point where this occurs?

I am not in the resale market as we speak (having just bought resale in 2015), but the thought of an addon is always looming in my mind.

I would think if you already own direct and or don't care about the direct perks saving anything is a savings unless your buying a small contract. I'm just throwing these numbers out there but if you bought a 200 point OKW extended for $120 a point without closing costs your saving $5,000 over the $145 per from Disney. Now if your buying 50 points and currently are not getting perks and the cost is say $125 vs $145 you're probably better off buying direct because you'll save more then the $1000 you'd save buying resale with discounts on tickets, food etc....

I end up going with Timesharebrokersales.com i did read that some in the past have had some bad experiences, but from what I read it didn't scare me. I know they dont accept(even though they legally should) that if you want to use another closing company as they are tied together with the one they recommend/want to use. The added cost of their closing company was just part of my calculations if it was worth it or not.

So far I haven't had any problems - I was however charged the 2018 annual dues now, because it was listed in the contract, but as we have enough time to close I didn't have to pay it now anyway.
Hey Cyber, you seem to know a lot so tell me, how did timesharebrokersales.com work out in the end? When I googled their address it appeared as if it may be a postal station only, not an actual office; then again, I also saw BBB A+ accreditation so I am unsure what to think of them. Maybe if you could share what your experience was like doing business with them?

We just made an offer on an OKW 100 pt contract, $65.00 PP, and it was accepted. My guess is that Disney will take it so not getting our hopes us yet.

We just made an offer on an OKW 100 pt contract, $65.00 PP, and it was accepted. My guess is that Disney will take it so not getting our hopes us yet.
Yea I’d say there’s a pretty good chance it gets taken, But if it doesn’t that’s a really really good deal.

Hey Cyber, you seem to know a lot so tell me, how did timesharebrokersales.com work out in the end? When I googled their address it appeared as if it may be a postal station only, not an actual office; then again, I also saw BBB A+ accreditation so I am unsure what to think of them. Maybe if you could share what your experience was like doing business with them?

I will say so far so good. The only delay so far had been the sellers they took a bit longer to return their documents than I liked. I might also be one of those buyers which is a pain as I keep calling for updates :-)
For whatever reason they don’t mail documents to Disney they snail mail them :-( so that’s also a factor that slows things down.
My hope is that Disney will have my new account setup next week.

I’ve also been promised a closing credit in my contract if I returned the contract and closing documents within 1 day and 5 days. I ofc did so I’ll get a few money back when the funds are disbursed.

I will say so far so good. The only delay so far had been the sellers they took a bit longer to return their documents than I liked. I might also be one of those buyers which is a pain as I keep calling for updates :-)
For whatever reason they don’t mail documents to Disney they snail mail them :-( so that’s also a factor that slows things down.
My hope is that Disney will have my new account setup next week.

I’ve also been promised a closing credit in my contract if I returned the contract and closing documents within 1 day and 5 days. I ofc did so I’ll get a few money back when the funds are disbursed.
Thanks Cyber, keep us all posted. Good broker companies are getting harder for me to find....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter