• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Watch Disney Cruise ship hammered by Sandy

I think we could be sisters cause I was doing about the same thing at home Monday night with the Hurricane and have done it on the ship. Asking my husband to reassure me and hold me and make everything better, that's what they are there for.
Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards

We landed at the airport @ 12:30am and got home @ 3:00am on October 28 just hours before the hurricane hit us here!! So spent the day frantically preparing for round 2 with Sandy once again pleading with my husband for reassurance! The eye came right up through where we live, but we were spared! Very fortunate and blessed! I must say it was not quite as scary on land as it was at sea!

We were going to do this trip in Nov but decided it was too much with Thanksgiving! Next time I'm sure we will go late Nov or right after Christmas!

Thank you for being so helpful and kind! I was feeling a bit sensitive and bruised by the words I kept reading today on the board about whining and expectations of traveling in hurricane season....

I wish that the hurricane info from TA would be more accurate for first timers!

I think we could be sisters cause I was doing about the same thing at home Monday night with the Hurricane and have done it on the ship. Asking my husband to reassure me and hold me and make everything better, that's what they are there for.

I hope and pray that you and your family were safe last night!! That was once nasty hurricane! The footage around our area and the surrounding states is truly heartbreaking!

Probably to let people know that it's not safe for work? Trying to help? Like Robo does every day he's on the Dis.

Thank you - I'll remember not to do a frame by frame blow up of the video at work.

Or just not be on the DIS at work because I'm working - whichever.

Yeesh.... :rolleyes:

hkcbear said:
We landed at the airport @ 12:30am and got home @ 3:00am on October 28 just hours before the hurricane hit us here!! So spent the day frantically preparing for round 2 with Sandy once again pleading with my husband for reassurance! The eye came right up through where we live, but we were spared! Very fortunate and blessed! I must say it was not quite as scary on land as it was at sea!

We were going to do this trip in Nov but decided it was too much with Thanksgiving! Next time I'm sure we will go late Nov or right after Christmas!

Thank you for being so helpful and kind! I was feeling a bit sensitive and bruised by the words I kept reading today on the board about whining and expectations of traveling in hurricane season....

I wish that the hurricane info from TA would be more accurate for first timers!

Sorry to hear you got twice land and sea eck.

This year we are sailing the 1st week of Dec. I hope its not to cold. We normally sail the 2nd week of Nov cause the kids have 2 days off that week for the elections and end of quarter (same week as Jersey week). Otherwise we like going the week before Thanksgiving cause the trip is cheaper and they are decorating for Christmas so beautiful.

Glad you, your family and your house is ok. We are all ok as well thankfully but it rained all day today and was cold, we now have flooding from the Potomac.

WDWsnooper said:
Who was the Captain on duty? I didn't see any mention of who was Capt. for this trip.

Tom on the Fantasy

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

No they could not have used our Port of Tampa; the big ships do not fit under our Sunshine Skyway Bridge :(

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I am going to start by saying I have empathy for those who were on the Fantasy. Our family sailed through similar seas a few years back on the wonder. I believe the problem lies in the timing of when you encounter the bad weather. DCL will sail around the storm during the cruise except for departure and debarkation days. If the weather is too severe they will delay for the safety of the passangers. In our cruise, we sailed through very rough seas the first night of the cruise. Did we enjoy that first night, heck no, but you need to realize that DCL has a schedule and more importantly profits to be made.

DCL has sailed in bad seas before and they will sail through rough seas again. You have to trust that the captain understands what he is doing at all times. Clearly in the case of the Fantasy, he felt he could get back to PC safely, which he accomplished. It's a shame that people feel they should be compensated for enduring a night of turbulent seas knowing they booked their cruise during hurricane season. I am sorry that your cruise ended the way it did, IMHO DCL did not do anything that they should be held liable for. They were generous in giving out the 25% discount, which was generous on their part. I would have loved that offer after enduring a night of inconvenience on our cruise, but I never even considered making a fuss due to knowing the risk I took in booking the cruise during prime,hurricane season.

I am going to start by saying I have empathy for those who were on the Fantasy. Our family sailed through similar seas a few years back on the wonder. I believe the problem lies in the timing of when you encounter the bad weather. DCL will sail around the storm during the cruise except for departure and debarkation days. If the weather is too severe they will delay for the safety of the passangers. In our cruise, we sailed through very rough seas the first night of the cruise. Did we enjoy that first night, heck no, but you need to realize that DCL has a schedule and more importantly profits to be made.

DCL has sailed in bad seas before and they will sail through rough seas again. You have to trust that the captain understands what he is doing at all times. Clearly in the case of the Fantasy, he felt he could get back to PC safely, which he accomplished. It's a shame that people feel they should be compensated for enduring a night of turbulent seas knowing they booked their cruise during hurricane season. I am sorry that your cruise ended the way it did, IMHO DCL did not do anything that they should be held liable for. They were generous in giving out the 25% discount, which was generous on their part. I would have loved that offer after enduring a night of inconvenience on our cruise, but I never even considered making a fuss due to knowing the risk I took in booking the cruise during prime,hurricane season.
To turn the tables, how could DCL sail into those turbulent waters knowing that most people on the boat are pleasure cruisers that don't have 30 years of sailing experience under their belts? Are their interests to be ignored? What about those children who are now traumatized by what they went through? No consideration for them either?

He didn't make it safely back, there were people who were injured physically and mentally and damage was done to the ship. That is a fact.

From a safety perspective for the crew, they were also put in danger. I doubt OSHA would allow you to be in an environment where things are flying around like missiles and heavy objects are being turned over.

Maybe DCL just shouldn't sail during hurricane season?

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Hurricane season runs from June through the end of November (we had an end-of-hurricane party the year that Orlando got the 3 storms!), so I doubt they'll just dock the ships for that period, lol.

To throw my two cents out there, we were on the Fantasy. It was scary, yes, and I thought there could have been more information given during the disembarkation, but we wouldn't hesitate to sail again. We had minimal things happen in our stateroom, but to be fair, we were midship, on deck 2. I imagine those on the higher decks, or aft/forward, felt it a LOT more. (And since we were on a daily dose of bonine, we didn't even get sick)

HOLY COW!!! Hope everyone is okay....weird this was posted as we just booked our cruise and then Sandy hit and it made me wonder what happens to cruise ships that are at sea during a hurricane??? SCARY!!!

I missed the full on frontal nudity...but otherwise really scary...

lugnut33 said:
To turn the tables, how could DCL sail into those turbulent waters knowing that most people on the boat are pleasure cruisers that don't have 30 years of sailing experience under their belts? Are their interests to be ignored? What about those children who are now traumatized by what they went through? No consideration for them either?

He didn't make it safely back, there were people who were injured physically and mentally and damage was done to the ship. That is a fact.

From a safety perspective for the crew, they were also put in danger. I doubt OSHA would allow you to be in an environment where things are flying around like missiles and heavy objects are being turned over.

Or maybe those "pleasure cruisers" should not book a cruise in hurricane season. Hurricanes will always be a hazard to the cruise industy. All cruiselines make difficult decisions that some will agree with and others will disagree. You have to trust they are making the best decision based on safety and operating a for profit business. As to the employees, for those who make a living at sea, you realize there is an inherent risk involved.

Or maybe those "pleasure cruisers" should not book a cruise in hurricane season. Hurricanes will always be a hazard to the cruise industy. All cruiselines make difficult decisions that some will agree with and others will disagree. You have to trust they are making the best decision based on safety and operating a for profit business. As to the employees, for those who make a living at sea, you realize there is an inherent risk involved.

OK then, it would be better for DCL to not sail during hurricane season. However, if they are going to, then DCL is responsible for the safety and comfort of the passengers.

If people were just satisfied with saying this is an inherent risk in the work place, then why do machines come with safety guards? Why do companies take the time to make sure their employees are safe? Why does the government not allow businesses to dump toxic waste into waterways? Why not just chalk it all up to inherent risk and let the chips fall where they will?

I would not hesitate to book during this time of year again. Yes, the one night was pretty bad. But I had complete faith in the captain

I would not hesitate to book during this time of year again. Yes, the one night was pretty bad. But I had complete faith in the captain

This. :thumbsup2

We had a few moments that night where we got a little nervous and I admit that I was frightened, but before and after the ship pitched we were both fine (husband and me).

We are already re-booked and will likely continue to do so.

Not trying to be argumentative, but really? It's amazing how many people are second guessing a well trained and surpremely experienced captain. Uncomfortable ride? Probably. Dangerous? Doubt it..unless you decided to leave your cabin and walk around. Besides...if I had doors crashing like that, and I had been told to stay in my cabin I would have taken that time to put everything away....there wouldn't be anything in my cabin to fly around. Things would have been stowed.
It amazes me to see how many people think that was a horrible decision on the captain's part.

And where would you stow stuff when the furniture was sliding around and the cabinet doors were opening on their own with everything that was 'stowed' in them flying around the cabin. I was there and this in not an opinion, I watched a roughly 35 lb ottoman(storage unit) slide all over my cabin. If you were not there you should not comment on what did or did not happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter