• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Washington DC area - any one airport better/easier than the others?

mom2mikel

DIS Veteran
We are going to Fairfax, VA. It looks like we can fly into BWI (Baltimore), DCA (Reagan) or IAD (Dulles). Is any airport better or worse than the others? Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Can't comment about ease of getting around each airport, but Dulles is extremely close to Fairfax. BWI is quite a hike............using DCA means you would have to use either a car or Metro to get to Fairfax.

If the price is "close enough" to the others, I suggest using Dulles.

Can't comment about ease of getting around each airport, but Dulles is extremely close to Fairfax. BWI is quite a hike............using DCA means you would have to use either a car or Metro to get to Fairfax.

If the price is "close enough" to the others, I suggest using Dulles.

I agree. Dulles is closer to Fairfax, but Reagan has access to the Metro/Subway system. BWI -- too far from Fairfax. However, if you're renting a car, then you should crunch the numbers for all 3. I fly out of Dulles exclusively, but have flown out of the other 2 also in the past.

I agree - don't even consider BWI. Too long a trek to Fairfax. Prices are usually more expensive to fly into National than Dulles. Dulles would be my first choice, especially if you are renting a car.

Dulles would be my first choice, especially if you are renting a car.

Not sure I agree, for two reasons:

(1) Once you land at Dulles, it's a long journey to the main terminal (either by train, foot or "mobile lounge," depending on the concourse).

(2) Once you've made it to the main terminal and collected your bags, a shuttle bus ride is required to reach the rental car lots.​

In contrast, National is a compact airport; the gates, terminal, and rental cars are close together. (Although that's not quite true for carriers in terminal A - Air Canada, AirTran, Frontier, JetBlue, and Spirit.)

I also note that depending on where in Fairfax one is going, National may be much closer. Fairfax County covers more than 400 square miles - and the closest parts of Fairfax are only about 4 miles from National.

(1) Once you land at Dulles, it's a long journey to the main terminal (either by train, foot or "mobile lounge," depending on the concourse).

(2) Once you've made it to the main terminal and collected your bags, a shuttle bus ride is required to reach the rental car lots.​

In contrast, National is a compact airport; the gates, terminal, and rental cars are close together. (Although that's not quite true for carriers in terminal A - Air Canada, AirTran, Frontier, JetBlue, and Spirit.)

I also note that depending on where in Fairfax one is going, National may be much closer. Fairfax County covers more than 400 square miles - and the closest parts of Fairfax are only about 4 miles from National.

One thing to consider is it also depends on the time. Weekday vs weekend. I would rather be traveling from Dulles TO Fairfax in the afternoon on a work day then traveling out of DC during rush hour. Those factors need to be considered. We travel in and out of Dulles about 6 times a year and we often get a rental car. It takes my DH about 15 minutes to catch a shuttle, choose a car and get back to the terminal to pick me up renting from National Rental Car. Yes, all of the rentals are offsite at Dulles and you will have to take a shuttle to the rental sites.

When I lived near Fairfax, I always preferred to go out of Dulles, but not by much. I would go out of either, just seemed like I always found a cheaper flight out of Dulles.

I tend to think there are less traffic delays out of Dulles, because you can avoid I-395 which is frequently bad.

But in this area, a bad traffic jam can pop up anywhere, anytime.

I would avoid BWI to go to Fairfax. It's too far and potentially lots of traffic.
Personally, I prefer Dulles. Granted, I've only flown out of Dulles because it's always been more convenient for me. To decide between Dulles and National, it really depends on where in Fairfax you're going and what time/day you're flying in.

I assume OP is going to Fairfax the city, not Fairfax County.

Still think Dulles is the best choice. I fly from there regularly, and after you arrive at your gate, it takes maybe 10 minutes to get to the main terminal via the train, a bit longer if you are riding the old people mover. I do agree that National is nice and compact; just not that it would be my choice for this trip.

When going to Fairfax, I always go to and from Reagan because of the Metro.

Thanks everyone :) We are flying in the Friday of Columbus Day weekend -- hoping to arrive between 6-8pm (do you think rush hour will be a factor at that time?). We are flying home the following Monday -- likely an evening flight. And we are renting a car (most likely Alamo).

So far it looks like Dulles is our best option -- based on your comments and flight options.

Ditto on Dulles!

I prefer Dulles because it is a much larger airport, with long runways. I hate landings and National's runways a a bit short for my taste. We still do fly out of National from time to time, but I prefer Dulles.

Also, with renting a car, Dulles to Fairfax is a much more direct route than National to Dulles.

In answer to the traffic question, this is DC, traffic is always an issue. It's hard to say whether traffic will be better or worse. Morning traffic is usually better before a holiday because many people do not work. However afternoon traffic can be iffy since most workers in DC will have that Monday off and may be heading out of town.

Thanks everyone :) We are flying in the Friday of Columbus Day weekend -- hoping to arrive between 6-8pm (do you think rush hour will be a factor at that time?). We are flying home the following Monday -- likely an evening flight. And we are renting a car (most likely Alamo).

So far it looks like Dulles is our best option -- based on your comments and flight options.

I live in Fairfax, so hopefully I can help out a little.

Traffic around here is nuts. After work on a Friday on a holiday....has the potential to be quite bad. Driving from Reagan/National would be the worst, since you'd be following the crowds out of DC and towards the "suburbs". Heading down from BWI or East from Dulles would probably be about the same, and you'd be going against traffic for the most part. (However, anything can happen around here). You could possibly hit traffic issues on Monday too.

But all that aside, Dulles is much closer than BWI, and should be your best bet in that regards as well. I'd definitely vote for Dulles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter