Was he within his rights as a resort guest?

My family will be visiting the world this summer, staying at a moderate. We've already made our ADR for one evening at the Poly. Should we be bumped simply because we're not staying there ? I don't think so. We have had the foresight to make accommodations for the evening's meal.

IMNSHO, the manager should have taken the guest aside and tried to find him a reservation somewhere on the monorail loop. Barring that, "I'm sorry sir. We are full, please don't have me call security."

It's not a question of whether Disney is well within its rights to open booking 180 days out. Of course they are within their rights to do so. They are also within their rights to open booking the day of. They own the restaurants!

Rather, it's a question of what Disney is going to see as best for Disney. If they get enough complaints from guests paying big bucks to stay at deluxe resorts that such guests are having to haul the kids to McDonald's or order in pizza because the restaurants are packed with people staying at motels off-site, Disney may well make a change.

One thing you can always count on -- Disney will do what is best for Disney. So, you just have to figure out what is best for Disney and you can easily figure what the next game move will be.

This will be the first year we've EVER made ADR's. We'd always been able to just walk right up and get a table wherever, whenever. Then again we usually just ate lunch at the better restaurants, grabbed something at the resort's food court for dinner and only travelled there in January or February.

But last year we were there for a belated honeymoon in September, and tried to have lunch at our usual place. Sorry, we're booked. I stood there for a minute and asked how long is the wait then. She smiled politely and said no, we're booked for the day. I was shocked! Call me stupid, but I had no idea that was even possible. I knew nothing about ADR's at that point because it was never an issue. We just sorta wandered around in a daze and ended up eating CS over in EPCOT. This time, we're prepared. I made sure to try and get an ADR for the restaurants we want to eat at.

I have no idea how successful I'll be though, since we'll be there from the 1st to the 7th of Feb and just decided to go right after Christmas, but I'm trying. Hopefully something will open up by then.

I agree with the others that say there is never an excuse for that type of behavior. I am quite sure that guy was at the end of his rope being at WDW over Christmas without a plan or ADR's :scared1: however tantrums are unacceptable.

That said, I also understand the idea of being able to eat at the resort you are staying at. I think resort guests should be able to put their name on a list and be willing to wait however long it takes. Plenty of times people with ADR's don't show, and the resort guests on the list could be fit in.

Even people that research their trip probably don't realize that you need to make reservations 6 months in advance during the busy season to eat anywhere. They probably think they can get in somewhere - maybe not CRT or Chef Mickey's but Kona?. Paying for the DDP and not being able to get into any TS meals is going to drive people nutzo. WDW should continue to stress the need for ADR's during every conversation with their guests.

In my opinion, the 180 day thing has actually created more no shows at restaurants. People that know the system and can't decide where to eat 6 months out make multiple ADR's for the same night/time.

How embarrassing for his family. I do believe the manager did the right thing, tho'. It's much better to keep the peace in a situation such as this.

My mother is rather hard-headed and refuses to listen to any advice. She took my brother and his family to WDW last summer. They made no ADRs. My brother couldn't believe they couldn't eat at LeCellier or CRT, to name a couple. My mother didn't relay the info about ADRs to my brother. I felt bad for his daughter, 10, as she wasn't able to experience the character meals. They really had no clue what to do when they were there. My brother hadn't been to WDW in over 20 years....can we say culture shock! Things have changed more than just a little.

I don't like having big surprises on vacations. I try to research and plan as much as I can, no matter where we go. You can hold down the disappointments to a minimum that way.

Lets say they hold back six tables a night for hotel guests without ADRs. By six pm, they've had five hotel guests walk up to Kona, and the sixth table was taken by someone staying in a suite at the Grand Floridian (if we are going to play the "I paid big bucks I should get to do what I want" card - this guy is going to get a table). Poly guest #7 shows up, all hotel guest walkup tables have been taken, the restaurant is now running 40 minutes behind on seating ADRs and probably won't catch up, and guest #7 throws a fit. Do they seat him?

Well let me be clear, I definately dont condone that type of behavior and feel like the guy should have just been out of luck. All I am saying is that they could 'hold' a certain number of tables for their own resort guests for that day, if those tables havent been reserved by a certain time, say 2pm for a dinner serving (unlikely), then they become available on a first come, first serve. I know I was lucky to 'stumble' across the dis, but not everyone is so fortunate. Like another poster said, its pretty reasonable to expect if you cant get in anywhere else then your hotel is always a 'last resort option' for pretty much any vacation anywhere else. So I can really see how people get there and are not prepared for the way things work and some 'small' accomodation for this eventuality could be made.

While I agree 100% that no one should cause a scene because they are turned away at a WDW restaurant, even if it's at the Resort where they are staying at. However I do think this story is a good example why the Resort restaurants should hold at the most 2 or 3 tables for guests staying at the Resort, up to a specific time. So either the guests of staying there would either take them before the time limit and if the time limit has passed, it will go to anyone else who wants to walk-in.

My best friend is just back from Christmas week at the World. Despite gentle nudging to make ADRs (and any other type of gameplan) on my part, she went down unprepared.

You know how it is - people don't want advice from "Disney People" because they think we're a crazed cult, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, she stayed at the Poly, and took one of my suggestions and decided to eat at Kona Cafe. Her family was turned away as they were not taking walk-ins at that time. Her husband flipped out and demanded to see the manager. He insisted that since he was paying big money to stay at the Poly, he should have priority over all these other people (you know, the ones with ADRs).

So, management gave him a table. What do you think of that?

[sarcasm]He sounds like a real winner and really understands the Disney spirit of fun! I think that your friend needs a new husband! [/sarcasm]

Well let me be clear, I definately dont condone that type of behavior and feel like the guy should have just been out of luck. All I am saying is that they could 'hold' a certain number of tables for their own resort guests for that day, if those tables havent been reserved by a certain time, say 2pm for a dinner serving (unlikely), then they become available on a first come, first serve. I know I was lucky to 'stumble' across the dis, but not everyone is so fortunate. Like another poster said, its pretty reasonable to expect if you cant get in anywhere else then your hotel is always a 'last resort option' for pretty much any vacation anywhere else. So I can really see how people get there and are not prepared for the way things work and some 'small' accomodation for this eventuality could be made.

Ummm, they also have CS at the Poly, or better yet room service!!!

Here's an interesting perspective I'd like to share with you all...

As a recent guest at the Contemporary Resort who was unable to make breakfast reservations at Chef Mickey's, I was told by the host/hostess at Chef Mickey's that they try to take care of there own guests at their resort by seating them as walkups as long as they arrive within the first 30-45 minutes of when the restaurant opens. So the day we wanted to eat their for breakfast, we arrived around 7:30am and were seated within 10 mins.

Now I don't know if the Poly and GF do the same thing when it comes to Ohana's, and Kona, etc. but it sounds like at least some Disney Resorts are trying to take care of their own guests.

:confused3 Funny that you should bring this up. My family and I had ADR for breakfast at Chef Mickeys the day we were flying out. We had to wait an additional 30 to 45 minutes that morning past our reservation time. When we asked why the delay, we were told that CR guests were complaining that they should have some priority because they were staying there. They said sorry, but management has instructed us to do this. The staff we talked to were not happy about it either because it definately impacted the reservations for the day for their other guests.

My best friend is just back from Christmas week at the World. Despite gentle nudging to make ADRs (and any other type of gameplan) on my part, she went down unprepared.

You know how it is - people don't want advice from "Disney People" because they think we're a crazed cult, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, she stayed at the Poly, and took one of my suggestions and decided to eat at Kona Cafe. Her family was turned away as they were not taking walk-ins at that time. Her husband flipped out and demanded to see the manager. He insisted that since he was paying big money to stay at the Poly, he should have priority over all these other people (you know, the ones with ADRs).

So, management gave him a table. What do you think of that?

While management really had no choice, the husband was rude and ignorant and no one has the "right" to behave like that.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I wish the manager stuck to his guns too! You don't mention if they have kids, but imagine what lesson that would teach your kids? As for paying alot-thats all relative-the family that saves for 2 or 3 years to go to WDW to stay at All Star has no more right to behave like spoiled brats than someone who can afford the Poly -and I bet the trip means more to them. If my husband behaved like that I would walk away from him.
Sadly this sense of entitlement is becoming more common-I see it in our ER waiting room. People think they should go next, they don't care if some little old lady is bleeding from the head or a child has a temp of 105. Sad

Yes, this behavior is rather unexpected. Too bad the manager wasn't quick on his feet.... "Yes, sir. Although we are absolutely 100% booked I can see your point. I will have an extra table moved into the dining room." Then show him to the table... two steps from the entrance to the restrooms." ;)

Hope the rest of his trip wasn't so stressful, especially to his poor family!

It is possible that the restaurants DO hold some tables....

by the time this guy showed up they could have been all gone....

If you show up when a restaurant 1st opens for dinner....
you will probably get a seat.....like the earlier example of chef mickeys.
Kerri

Sounds like the party was rude but they have a point. Not everyone books a Disney vacation 6-12 months in advance. Disney is happy letting guests make hotel reservations days in advance. Disney is happy selling guests a dining plan days before their vacation. There isn't any reason why a guest shouldn't expect availablity at least in a casual restaurant in their own hotel. I'm not talking about CRT, Le Cellier... Kona is a nice but casual restaurant in a hotel. It's the kind of restaurant that one might expect wouldn't reserve 100% of their tables.

This is what I was thinking. Yes I made all of our ADRS but there are some who don't and I would not be happy if we had to starve at a resort where we were paying $400 a night :rotfl: this does NOT mean I would throw a temper tantrum BUT I think there should be allowances for resort guest. The dining establishments are put there for resort guests enjoyment before and after going to the parks. Without the resort guest staying at said resort there would be no dining:confused3
I also think character dining and signature dining should be ADR only.
It wasn't like he was trying to eat at V&A :rotfl: I think resorts should make allowances for resort guest in the regular casual places... a first come first serve set of tables for resort guest would be highly appreciated.
In no other place on earth would this be an issue:rotfl: I can't imagine staying at any other resort and being told I couldn't eat at their casual dining area because I didn't have ADR's :rotfl:
The guy was wrong for pitching a fit when the host was following policy. I do think the policy needs to change though.

I don't think it's "the Disney way"...if you lived in a town with a very upscale restaurant, would you expect to be able to get in over out-of-towners with reservations jsut because you live there? JMO

Go to Myrtle Beach (more specifically Broadway at the Beach). The wait to get into restaurants can be very long during the summer. Flash a drivers license with a local address and you will get in much quicker. ;)

Every time i book a Disney vacation I'm asked if I want help making ADRs. This should be a big tip off.

…and every time I make a reservation over the phone with Delta I am asked if I want to make a car rental or hotel reservation. People are bombarded with add-ons and upselling these days you learn to ignore that stuff.

First let me say I think this guy definitely acted like a jerk and definitely handled the situation wrong!!

I also believe the resort should do what they can to accommodate their own guests. This does not mean their guests are outright entitled to anything, but a little extra should be done to attempt to take care of them. Extra Magic Hours were created to take care of Disney Resort guests, why cant each resort take that further and do something to take care of their own guests. Even concierge guests at all resorts get a special allocation of tables throughout all of Disney World - not just the resort they are staying at. I think it would be very appropriate to give resort guests an allocation of tables at the restaurants in their own resort.

I for one cannot plan where I am going to eat for an entire vacation 180 days out. Heck, I don’t actually come up with the idea of going on the vacation more than 60 days out. I have to use the concierge to secure a reservation for breakfast at Cinderella’s Royal Table.

I would not be happy if we had to starve at a resort where we were paying $400 a night

Again...

They had the option, as a resort guest staying at the Poly, of enjoying a meal from Kona as room service, or eating cs from Captain Cooks. No reason at all to "go hungry".

I certainly would not even expect to get into one of the casual restaurants here in our rural area of PA on a Holiday, as a walk-up without reservations. Had this guy simply called ahead earlier that morning, there is a possibility he might have still been able to get an ADR for Kona, but he waited until dinner time and then just walked up with nothing more than a sense of entitlement. That is an unrealistic expectation most anywhere. :rotfl2:

I have read in several places that not knowing you need ADRS for the resort dining is not an excuse. I disagree.
Our family travels a lot .... and not at Disney. I can't imagine EVEN the thought for a second going through my head,"Oh I have to call Denny's or waffle house 6 months in advance to make ADRS" :rotfl: :rotfl: boy would that give some people a good laugh!!!!

If your new to the Disney way and don't know that any place with a chair is ADR only, you are in for a big shock. Not everyone visits the internet so they go in expecting to be able to eat at the "dennys" without making ADRS 6 months in advance :rotfl:

Disney is the only place I have had to make ADR's for breakfast 6 months in advance :rotfl: heck even with my ADRS I am not sure if my family will want to eat breakfast that morning :rotfl:

While making ADRS my mother made a funny comment to me, "Heck I don't even know if I will be ALIVE in 6 months let alone want bacon and eggs that morning" :rotfl:

I understand character meals should be ADR and signature places but the "Denny's" type places should make allowances for resort guest.

I agree with the OP, if it was my DH, I would have walked out on him. That being said, I have very little sympathy for him, since the original poster said he was well informed about the busy season and the need for ADR's. This type of behavior should not have been rewarded by the management and they should have been turned away....no matter what resort he was staying at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter