Was an Italian Disney park ever considered?

klachman56

Earning My Ears
I am in posession of a coffee mug that is making me wonder if Disney ever considered building a park in Italy. I have had this mug for quite a few years. It was a gift from someone, but I regret that I do not remember who gave it to me or when.
The mug has an inkstamp on the bottom stating that it is a Disney Store exclusive, but does not have any type of date. The mug has a simple design that is on both sides, at 90-degree angles to the handle. The design is a standing Mickey Mouse in his traditional attire with his arms outstretched and a big smile on his face. He is flanked by the numbers for the year 1928, with the 19 on the left and the 28 on the right. Mickey and the numbers are all raised, not flat of the surface of the mug. Above Mickey's head, in black all-capital letters and also raised, is the word "DISNEY'. Below Mickey's feet, in black all-capital letters and NOT raised but flat against the mug, is the word "FIRENZE'.
My understanding is that FIRENZE is the native Italian name for Florence, the famous Italian city. This leads me to wonder if Disney, when contemplating building a European park, had for a time seriously considered building it in or near Florence. Does anyone know if this might be the case? I would love to hear what anyone may know about this! Thank you!

Even if Disney had considered building in Florence, which I do not recall hearing about, they would not have released items with that location until it was announced.

It is much more likely that the mug came from the Disney Store in Florence, Italy, which closed in 2021 along with other European Disney Stores.

Instead of a geodesic sphere for their version of Epcot it would just be a giant Riceball. Spaceship Hearth. The history of Italian cooking.

If this is the mug you mean, yes, it's from the Florence Disney Store and has nothing to do with any planned Italian parks.

ae00cc44-54d0-4138-9c96-79c4e7ca10ec.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter