Warning about Lowe's and appliances!!!

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
I posted in another thread that we bought a new clothes dryer at Lowe's yesterday. They arranged to deliver it today, for which we paid $65.00. They showed up a couple of hours ago and the guy comes in to check the location and says, "Did they tell you that we aren't allowed to disconnect the old dryer or hook up the new dryer?" Well, NO, THEY DIDN'T TELL US THAT AT ALL! :furious: The delivery guy says they're not allowed to touch gas lines. If I disconnect the old one, they can take it out, and they can bring in the new one, but that's it.

I managed to get the old dryer disconnected but the flexible line needs to be replaced and I'm just not messing with that. I'm pretty handy but gas and electric are two things I let the professionals handle. So we were all excited that we'd be able to start catching up on the laundry backlog tonite but no such luck.

I just went over to Lowe's to give them hell. On my way there, I stopped at Home Depot just out of curiousity to see what their policy is. Sure enough, they deliver AND hook up the dryers. They were surprised to hear that Lowe's doesn't. Next I went to Lowe's. I spoke to the store manager and he said they don't hook them up and we should have been told that when we bought it. In fact, he said nobody hooks them up. I told him Home Depot does and he didn't believe me at first until I told him I had just walked out of there with all the information. Finally, he said, "So what would you like me to do? Do you want to return it because we can't hook it up?" I thought about going that route but figured it would be more trouble than it was worth. So instead I asked him to refund the $65 delivery fee. He agreed to do that. So at least now, when I pay my plumber to come over and put in a new gas line, I won't feel like I wasted quite as much money.

Sorry for rambling. I've still got steam coming out of my ears. :furious:

Lowes came to deliver a stove and were supposed to take out the old one. We'd done it during a haul away special since it was a bohemoth! They came and said they could take it away but they were not allowed to disconnect the old one. Okay, it is a plug, but against the wall because this was a double decker beast of a range. So I call the store and they say the same thing, if we can get it out they will come back and take it away but that it too big and dangerous for the burley deliver men to attempt to move. Okay, so they leave the new stuff and my husband comes home at lunch. In a suit he pulls the thing out single handedly and I call Lowes back. To their credit they did return right away but couldn't imagine how it got pulled out fromt he counters around it. I said my dh took it out....alone...in a suit.

But because of the trouble the delivery was to be reimbursed by a rebate and they just took the money off the top so I neverr even had to file for the reimbursement.

By the way, gas lines are actually pretty easy to do. Just turn the lever before the joint you need to work on. Connect the new piece and turn it on. With a bowl of soapy water and a paintbrush you can paint the joint and if it bubbles it is leaking. Turn it off an try again. No bubbles equals no leak.

I am not surprised by this. We always buy our appliances from Sears. They deliver, install, and take away. I have been very happy with the service I have gotten from them.

I second the Sears thing! We've always had good luck buying from them.

I'm not surprised at their policy. There have been a few deaths in Florida recently involving people installing dryers. I'm sure they were electric dryers but I'm sure the policy applies to any kind.

I think they found out that the wiring was incorrect or something. I'm sure it is for insurance or liability reasons.

Sorry they didn't telll you when you arranged for delivery.

That is ridiculous and they should return your delivery charge. Of course you would expect them to install it not just drop it off.

When we recently bought a new washer from Lowe's, we paid our repairman to pick it up and install it. He does it for $50 just as a way to pick up extra business. DH was glad to support a "little guy" making a living.

Home Depot also frequently has rebates on their delivery fee which I think runs $50.

BTW... since you mentioned dryers, Home Depot will not hook up electric dryers that need to be hard wired.

floridafam said:
I'm not surprised at their policy. There have been a few deaths in Florida recently involving people installing dryers. I'm sure they were electric dryers but I'm sure the policy applies to any kind.

I think they found out that the wiring was incorrect or something. I'm sure it is for insurance or liability reasons.

Sorry they didn't telll you when you arranged for delivery.

Sorery, but I don't buy this. If you are going to CHARGE an delivery and installation fee then you need to INSTALL not just look at it. :rotfl2:

I nearly bought a stove at Home Depot a few weeks ago. They were only going to drop it off since it was on cleareance. Now the same stove at full price got installation... and the price for the "Service" was EXACTLY the same for both models. I left it.

We had a problem with Lowe's as well .

Ordered a table & chairs set and a Grill for our deck ( New one had the old one rebuilt) .Told them it was 1 story up stairs .Salesman no problem they can walk it right up.

Deliverman comes and it starts we can do the chairs ( 1 at a time but the table and grill you have to get up we will put them at the base.

I started to close the gate and he said what are you doing I said I was refusing delivery and would just drive out and get a refund ( he already new I wrote his name down). Then it was well let me check with my partner and of course I get the we aren't suppose to take them up steps . I said no problem I don't want you to do something your not suppose to but my reciept says it's up 1 set of steps .

Well they did it and it took them an entire 15 mins. to do so.

I didn't see where he said the $65.00 included installation. The OP stated it was a delivery fee.

Sorry you don't buy it but I was just stating what has happened down here.

In the cases I spoke of, I believe the houses were wired incorrectly. They probably just don't want to take a chance.

Anyway, it seems that they refunded the delivery fee so it all worked out.

I would of figured they would not take out the old one and install the new one. Just like when you get your carpets cleaned, placed around here will not move any thing around the room for you. You have to have it completely cleaned our or stand there and move the furniture so they can clean the floor..I know my husband works for menards and I believe they charge a delivery fee which does not cover installation..

floridafam said:
I didn't see where he said the $65.00 included installation. The OP stated it was a delivery fee.
The customer service person and the store manager both freely admitted that we should have been told at time of purchase that delivery didn't include installation. That was a mistake on the salesman's part. It would also be a good idea for the store to post a sign in the department alerting customers to this fact (since obviously the sales people don't always bother to mention it).

This is the first time we have ever encountered an appliance delivery fee not including set up.

Actually, it's my understanding that no appliance delivery person can unhook a gas dryer/stove. We had a gas dryer that died in April and we had to hire a plumber to come out and unhook it-we were converting to electric so we didn't need him to hook the new one up. The special outlet was already there for the electric one, so the appliance dealer we bought the elec. dryer from hooked it up for us since the gas one was already detached..... they are not licensed to touch the gas lines (or insured for that matter)

My DH owns a corian/solid surface countertop company. People get mad that he won't unhook/rehook the sink/plumbing, but he's not a plumber and not licensed or insured to do so.

Plumbing and electrical work should be left to those licensed to do it IMO.... we are fixing numerous mistakes by the previous owners of our house because they tried to do lots of electrical/plumbing work themselves and much of it is not up to code :confused3 :guilty:

Sorry you had a bad experience... hope your new dryer works awesome! :)

I wouldn't have expected the delivery fee to include setup either. If you buy a big TV from Best Buy or Circuit City, they don't hook up all the cables for you, so I guess I would think the same for an appliance.

I've never known of anyone but a plumber to install a new gas dryer. I would have assumed that the $65 was delivery only.

Sorry they did not seem to feel the need to communicate that to you.

I wouldn't recommend Home Depot either after the way I've been treated these last couple of weeks. I've been yelled at by an assistant manager and lied to by employees - all over a patio set. I e-mailed and wrote a letter to the store manager last week Sunday - no response. So yes, Home Depot may install your dryer for you, but if any problem arises, I doubt it would be resolved to your satisfaction.

At least Lowes was reasonable and refunded you the delivery charge. Home Depot wouldn't have gone that far.

I ordered kitchen cupboards from Home Depot a couple of years ago, paid $50 for delivery and lo and behold when they delivered them, they weren't even allowed to bring them in the house. They offloaded them in the driveway and I was responsible to get them in the house. I wasn't happy since my husband was working a double and I had 5 small children at the time and was expecting the 6th!!! Lesson learned, always ask what is included in any fees they charge!!!!

debster812 said:
I've never known of anyone but a plumber to install a new gas dryer. I would have assumed that the $65 was delivery only.

Sorry they did not seem to feel the need to communicate that to you.

I imagine that local codes vary across the country.

Hmm when I worked in retail several years ago, our delivery included set up. I would have expected it as well, so I don't blame you for being mad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter