Warning about 3rd party tour guides

From what I've read it's basically someone who helps you get your LL and ILLs, order your lunch, and drive you park to park...while leading you around and giving some factoids. 😂

It sounds to me like what WDW is cracking down on is the commercial use of the AP. That is against AP rules. Someone who enters the park on an AP and is paid for guiding/leading/advising while in the park is using it for commercial gain. Planners who simply help in advance aren't impacted. If the "tour guide" were to require the customer to also purchase him a 1-day ticket to enter the park, it probably wouldn't be an issue, either.

I vaguely recall a similar crackdown on babysitting services several years ago, which is why businesses like Kids Nite Out require a ticket to be purchased for "mother's helper" service in the parks.

I’m a third party tour guide. I can’t speak as to how other folks operate, but I never gamed the system and I have always been extremely honest and straightforward with travelers. Basically, I would just walk them around the park, give them directions, help them navigate G+, help with their kids and snack trips and such. For some people, having local help during a theme park visit is a huge relief. I never promised anything I couldn’t provide, I never used or encouraged DAS… I was simply a local helping hand.

Many of my colleagues did the same thing. As far as using my AP for commercial purposes, well… hundreds of vloggers, photographers and social media influencers do that daily. So long as it wasn’t flagrant and I wasn’t soliciting or conducting financial dealings in the park, I didn’t think it would get much attention.

Until now, Disney or any of the other parks haven’t really had any issue with us unless we directly broke park rules such as DAS, skipping lines, etc. But again, I never did that. I was simply helping folks around the park as a personal concierge.

I’m very curious as to why Disney has suddenly, and without giving any reason, started cracking down and banning folks like us. I did nothing but bring more money to the company and help guests enjoy their experience a bit more. And I never claimed to be affiliated with Disney. At the very least, it would be nice to be given a reason
I'm curious, did you ever run into anyone who did specialized tours? I don't need someone to explain Genie+ or get me snacks, but I'd love to hear more about working backstage, the ghosts/folklore around attractions, or in depth Disney history. I wish Disney would bring back the physics of roller coasters (which it only offered to school groups) or even the sum of all thrills (just thrill rides and thrill ride info).

Just another reason why AP holders are getting a bad name. Disney is finding that Ap holders are re-sellers, thieves (the stroller theft ring), and now tour guides. I think Disney is going to crack down on social media next. Interesting to see where this goes.

Coincidentally, I had family visiting WDW from out of town last weekend. They had hired one of these tour guides. They told us their tour guide got trespassed before their trip started. My family said they actually enjoyed the service more because the tour guide still made all of their plans, but from outside of the park. They got the convenience of the service and got a portion of the fee refunded.
I did this for our neighbor last weekend for free. I guided them through what to book and when and I got confused myself (no experience parking hopping or staying offsite, booking 2 IlL$ and the Moana VQ time, rules kept changing but we do go once a year). The system is so confusing for first timers.

Right now it feels like Disney picking and choosing what they want to go after. I noticed one of the VIP non Disney tour pages discontinued their services effective immediately. I sincerely hope Disney is offering a path to revoking the trespass for those that really meant no harm and didn’t realize they were breaking a rule.

If you think about it there are hundreds to thousands of non Disney affiliated companies that make money off of Disney. Many of these with use of an AP… baby sitters, the tour guides, photographers, most of ear for each other, certain 3rd party apps whose mention is forbidden… are they going after everyone now?

Disney seems to actively encourage you tubers… do they not make money off Disney for a commercial purpose???

I don’t know what these services promise or how they market themselves, but I feel like there is a fairly large need in the market that isn’t addressed by Disney, so if these groups fill that need, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal.

I think there are many people who would like to hire someone to be their guide for the day. To push the stroller, carry the bags, show them where/how to order food, get them a seat, guide them around the parks, help entertain kids in lines, help book Genie selections, etc. Like a Mary Poppins type of role.

Right now, it’s the VIP tour or nothing. But I think a Mary Poppins service would be a gold mine for Disney. No ride access or backstage access or anything, so the cost could be somewhat reasonable, but just someone to accompany your group and help you comfortably navigate the parks.

Obviously if these services mentioned in the article are circumventing rules or somehow gaming the system, I get why Disney would shut them down.
What isn't addressed by Disney is the price, lol. Disney charges up to $900/hour with a 7 hour minimum during busy season.

With all of the complications of navigating a Disney park vacation these days, I totally get why a family might want to hire a "phone sherpa" so that they could all actually enjoy their vacation.

Right now it feels like Disney picking and choosing what they want to go after. I noticed one of the VIP non Disney tour pages discontinued their services effective immediately. I sincerely hope Disney is offering a path to revoking the trespass for those that really meant no harm and didn’t realize they were breaking a rule.

If you think about it there are hundreds to thousands of non Disney affiliated companies that make money off of Disney. Many of these with use of an AP… baby sitters, the tour guides, photographers, most of ear for each other, certain 3rd party apps whose mention is forbidden… are they going after everyone now?
Yes, they are picking and choosing who they want to go after. It is their business, they can do that. They can prioritize which rule-breakers they want to go after.

Disney seems to actively encourage you tubers… do they not make money off Disney for a commercial purpose???
I don't follow any vlogers. But my understanding is that they make their money from their viewers or ad revenue for their sites, and not directly from Disney guests. Not to mention it is free publicity for Disney, whereas private tour guide provide no benefit to Disney.

Apparently what has really raised Disney’s ire is the fact that some of these tour guides have been encouraging abuse of DAS; “tell them you have irritable bowel syndrome” is in the article linked below, as an example, but these unethical guides have probably gotten a really good feel for which DAS “scripts” tend to be successful, having their clients trying for DAS day in, day out. The bogus IBS claims are probably largely why DAS is no longer offered for bathroom issues, but these people probably have plenty of other tricks up their sleeve, and you can understand why Disney would want to cut down on this abuse by banning the third-party tour guides. Yet another example of selfish and unscrupulous people spoiling things for the rule-following majority.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/increase-disability-access-service-abuse-disney-world-crackdown/

Apparently what has really raised Disney’s ire is the fact that some of these tour guides have been encouraging abuse of DAS; “tell them you have irritable bowel syndrome” is in the article linked below, as an example, but these unethical guides have probably gotten a really good feel for which DAS “scripts” tend to be successful, having their clients trying for DAS day in, day out. The bogus IBS claims are probably largely why DAS is no longer offered for bathroom issues, but these people probably have plenty of other tricks up their sleeve, and you can understand why Disney would want to cut down on this abuse by banning the third-party tour guides. Yet another example of selfish and unscrupulous people spoiling things for the rule-following majority.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/increase-disability-access-service-abuse-disney-world-crackdown/
And that includes the guests who are willing to lie and should be handled as such.

"If Disney determines that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased annual passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded."

Listen I watched a “guide” sip on her Starbucks and then proceed to let all the people she was going to herd around jump in front of everyone who was waiting for 60 mins for rope drop. And then tell everyone behind them that she can do what she did.
I’m so glad they are cracking down on this- I almost lost my AP myself after a “guide” let 15 people in front of her about 15 minutes before rope drop when my daughter and I were 2nd and third in line. Of course I said something, Disney did nothing about it. So glad they are stepping up now.

I’m so glad they are cracking down on this- I almost lost my AP myself after a “guide” let 15 people in front of her about 15 minutes before rope drop when my daughter and I were 2nd and third in line. Of course I said something, Disney did nothing about it. So glad they are stepping up now.
cast member told me this trip they are told not to confront people on stuff like that or they are on their own. if other cast members come to their sideline but the management will not side wit h the cast member. is it true who knows but that day the cast member was inches form this and just stood and did nothing.

Honestly I'm happy that Disney is cracking down on this. If left to run amok it could become a huge problem. Sadly with how Disney operates, there will always been those trying to make money off of Disney; from the guides to the shoppers, but they need do what they can to control it when possible. I think addressing the Vloggers needs to happen too, bit of control of how many are allowed in and they really need to be vetted as well. Disney has an image to protect, and I think we can think of one, if not more, that shouldn't be around.

Honestly I'm happy that Disney is cracking down on this. If left to run amok it could become a huge problem. Sadly with how Disney operates, there will always been those trying to make money off of Disney; from the guides to the shoppers, but they need do what they can to control it when possible. I think addressing the Vloggers needs to happen too, bit of control of how many are allowed in and they really need to be vetted as well. Disney has an image to protect, and I think we can think of one, if not more, that shouldn't be around.
Am I the only one who in all my years of visiting has never noticed a “vlogger” “vlogging”? I’m not the most observant person, but if these people make videos in the parks and post them on YouTube I doubt Disney would feel any need to crack down on them, if they are not inconveniencing anyone. On the other hand, I really wish that there was a “no devices” rule on all dark rides. There is nothing more annoying than some gormless idiot holding up their brightly lit phone on a ride like POTC, ruining the experience for everyone else.

Am I the only one who in all my years of visiting has never noticed a “vlogger” “vlogging”? I’m not the most observant person, but if these people make videos in the parks and post them on YouTube I doubt Disney would feel any need to crack down on them, if they are not inconveniencing anyone. On the other hand, I really wish that there was a “no devices” rule on all dark rides. There is nothing more annoying than some gormless idiot holding up their brightly lit phone on a ride like POTC, ruining the experience for everyone else.
I actually saw one. I was in Oga's (at WDW) standing at the bar, and the guy next to me (came up after me) started vlogging about the bar, drinks, etc. He had a little stand for one of his phones and everything. Even turned to me at one point and started asking me questions, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter