• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt said...

C

Captain Crook

"We should always strive to exceed the guests expectations"...Is this philosophy possible today? Should today's Disney be using this standard as a guideline or is it just not practical/possible in today's business setting?
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

I think every company - not just Disney - must strive to exceed their guest's/ clients expectation. How else will companies differentiate themselves? If companies decide to only do what is necessary to make a profit - eventually they will fail. Business history is littered with once great companies that did not try to exceed expectations.

Do you think GM builds tries to exceed expectation? No - but Honda and toyota do - and they succeed.

I think Disney still tries to exceed expecations - I ceratinly know that the parks continue to exceed my expectations - even in difficult times.

Unfortunately, Disney has raised the bar so high that it's difficuult to meet those expectations (I'm thinking of the last few animated films).

It's ok for Disney to fail to exceed expectations from time to time. It's not ok to stop trying. I know alot of people will disagree with me, but I don't think Disney has stopped trying.

Disney should be using the standards set by Walt, but alas they no longer care to exceed guests expectations but try to get by on the good will they have built over the years!!! If they wanted to exceed our expectations they wouldnt build parks that are half day at best but still charge full price. They wouldnt just contuine to release sequels of alot of their old films but would try to create more masterpieces. If they abided by Walts theory i dont believe their stock would be as low as it is as people will pay more and buy more when they believe they are getting true value for the money they spend. They havent focused on what they do best but feel that bigger is better. It hasnt worked for aol/time warner and with disney's recent moves it also hasnt worked as they keep getting bigger but are losing touch with what was their core, and a peferect example is Pixar creating great animated movies and disneys animated films of late pale in comparsion in quality and box office.

I think Disney is trying and does exceed almost alll NORMAL guests expectations. As I said in a previous post I was just there and over heard many 1st timers about how wonderful the World was it was great to hear! My expectations are very high BUT I do not expect an E ticket ride every six months. People seem to forget that when MK first opened it did not have 5 of the major rides it does now. Walt also said he never wanted to open a finished park - he wanted it to grow.

And it is just an opinion that AK is not a full park - for me and many others it is a full day.

I also hope that Disney does NOT meet cetain folks expectations. For example - Bob O from reading his posts would like super coasters (nothing wrong with that and I am not trying to pick on Bob) but I do not think Disney should meet his expectations that is not thier market. Leave that to IOA. If they did AK would have never been built.

Everytime I visit they meet my expectaions - I think you really need to visit other parks like SeaWorld - which charges $50 to really appreciate how good of a job Disney does. Also really take notice the difference in staff between IOA and Disney and you will notice.

These boards make it hard to see the magic when there is so much discussion on how it is made. It is like watching a magician after reading a book on how all of his tricks are done. This sets people up for disapointment no matter how good the tricks are. Or if you knew the show whas planned for 3 hours but he decided on a two hour show. Again very hard to meet expectations.

Expectations are very subjective. And in this fast paced information age it will be even harder for Disney to meet them for certain folks.

Dave O.

What is a NORMAL disney guest???? And im not surprised first timers would be overjoyed. They are possibly comparing it too parks they have been too closer to their home which more than likely is six flags. So in comparsion of course disney will seem very magical, which it still is but not as much as it could be or has been. But from having been to wdw numerous times since 1982 i feel the parks have slipped a notch as compared to when i first went, be it from the hours of operation to how clean the park is and other maintence issues. I dont see disney trying to wow their guests as much as they did in the past IMHO. The parks are now looked upon as more of a cash cow than they used to be when the company was smaller and the parks were a bigger part of the company. Now the parks are used to siphon money to pay for alot of the bonehead decsions the company has made.

While I still think WDW is a wonderful place, I have to think the management isn't really paying enough attention to Walt's ideals.

There are a few other threads along this line and everyone, me included, has a variety of opinions on whether or not WDW is up to par and why or why not.

If there's one thing that bothers me, if even just a little bit, it's that WDW doesn't seem to acknowledge repeat guests. I'm not saying we should expect tons of special consideration. Even a simple "welcome back" at check-in would at least show their paying attention.

I don't gamble, but know a number of people who spend a lot of time (and money) at Atlantic City, Las Vegas, and Foxwoods. It seems these places know how many times you've been there, how much you've won or lost, and what you like to eat and drink. They also understand it's in their best interest to encourage good customers to come back often.

It's just hard to believe WDW can't tell if you've ever been there before (as a resort guest). I will say there was one exception to that, though. Although I'm sure he didn't remember my name, Steve, one of the former bartenders at the Banana Cabana, at least recognized me on our return after over a year and said "welcome back." I'm not even a big drinker, but love the atmosphere there. Those two words made me feel good, though amazed that of thousands of people he sees during the course of a year, he remembered one that is probably rather ordinary.

So, in my opinion, it isn't a new thrill ride that attractes me to WDW, but little things that makes it different from any other place. I think that's what Walt had in mind, and what seems to slipping away a bit.

It's just hard to believe WDW can't tell if you've ever been there before (as a resort guest).
Don't kid yourself. They know. We get mailings now that can only be explained by our many trips to WDW. If you've had the same phone number for awhile, I'll bet you're in the database...

I would hope so, Dave. I'd like to get a better record of my many vacations there since I haven't kept all that information (and here I'm complaining about them?). I asked at the desk at the CBR Customs House last time and the CM said they didn't have those records.

Does anyone know where to inquire about such stuff?

They are not going to be able to go back in time for you very much. But it won't be long before the CM at the shops or the resorts can see a screen on their computers all about you when you give your card/name showing past visit stuff as well as preferences they've managed to collect. There's a lot of potential for "Magic" when a CM knows who you are.

Well I've said it before, but I'll say it again...I love the level of conversation that goes on here. You guys are great! Your discussions are so very well thought out!

My take? Well, yes things have slipped from time to time. But then that old magic comes back and I forget...until the next slippage.

I have high expectations of Disney (probably more so than the average Joe any way...but who is the average Joe?). I am greatly disappointed with the masses of IIs that have come pouring out of the animation department. (with the exception of Fantasia 2000). I know they are big money makers, but while giving a little blood to make some cash is fine, you don't want to bleed yourself dry (which I feel Disney is doing now.)

As far as Disney marketing goes...I feel they greatly under utilize what information they MUST have on me. God knows I have spent enough time and money at WDW and TDS. They have the resources. They know where I've stayed and what I've bought. Isn't it time that they stopped the mass crap mailings and started focusing on the spenders? As was pointed out in an earlier post, the gambling centers KNOW who their clients are and make sure they are "well kept"...it keeps them coming back for more. Shouldn't Disney be doing something SIMILAR? It sure would impress the heck out of me.

Captain

Is this a trick question? YES and YES.

In a recent article there was a premise that the average theme park goer's was no longer easily impressed. The inference being it has become harder and more risky to try to get a return from hardware based attractions. I assume the logic is the proliferation of themed places, simulators, 3D movies, video games, etc. has raised the bar on what it takes to WOW someone. At least faster than the cost effective technology that is available to do it has advanced.

If this were the case, while the goal would still be the same, maybe the means might need to be adapted. However, it sure doesn't seem like the lastest wave of major attractions(the Spiderman, RnR, MIB, Soarin, TDS rides) have suffered from fan indifference. They still seem to be impressing the average visitor.

You are so right about a great deal of the magic coming from interaction with cast members. We have had some wonderful experiences. One was very similar to yours. We have taken many of the backstage tours and on serveral occasions had the same quide. On our last tour we walked up to the desk to sign in and she looked up and said Oh' Hi Donna. Glad to see you back. That can really make your day. We have had cast members bring merchandise we could not find in the park to our hotel from the outlet store. We were given Walk-Around-The- World polo shirts because we had so many bricks. Other experiences too many to mention. The parks can be beautiful and the rides fantastic but it takes those magical people to make it work. Hate to see Disney vend out so many services to people not schooled in Disney Tradition and think Disney needs to instill this in castmembers right up the corporate ladder.

Disney cares about money. Not satisfaction. I'm usually satisfied, but do they care? Not really.

I never let schooling get in the way of my education.
-Mark Twain

How is it possible that I didn't chime in on this thread before??? :confused:
Walt said...
"We should always strive to exceed the guests expectations"...Is this philosophy possible today? Should today's Disney be using this standard as a guideline or is it just not practical/possible in today's business setting?
Of course it is!! It's what makes Disney - Disney!! Otherwise it's just another company out for the almighty buck!

Isn't that what we've been saying all along? I can't believe you haven't heard the message. It's one of the fundamental reasons we're all such Disney nuts. Now if we can only get Ei$ner to understand the concept!!

In any business if you worry about how MUCH you can give a customer for their dollar instead of how LITTLE, you're bound to succeed. It's not brain surgery.

Walt's ideals are the main cusps for any type of customer relations. Treat people with respect and don't try to swindle them and you're bottom line will follow.

Right now Disney NEEDS someone in charge who's only focus is to try to keep their finger on the pulse of their customers. Let someone else worry about the numbers and making them work. A content company shouldn't be run on spreadsheets.

I was just there and over heard many 1st timers about how wonderful the World was it was great to hear!
What were they wowed by? DinoRama or Cindy's castle? Tower of Terror or Aladin's magic Carpets?

I know an E Ticket isn't required every six months....but just as Six Flags improve themselves usually every season, so should Disney. New rides and other improvements shouldn't take half of a decade to be realized.

And it is just an opinion that AK is not a full park - for me and many others it is a full day
No...it's you're opinion that AK is a full day park. The attendance numbers show people do not feel that DAK is worthy of their vacation dollars. If the majority of people felt DAK is a full day park, why are they staying away in droves?

I also hope that Disney does NOT meet cetain folks expectations. For example - Bob O from reading his posts would like super coasters (nothing wrong with that and I am not trying to pick on Bob) but I do not think Disney should meet his expectations that is not thier market. Leave that to IOA. If they did AK would have never been built.
If Disney left everything other than themed carny rides to everyone else, you would never have seen DAK. Animal Kingdom was built to cater to the guests who would leave WDW to go to parks such as Sea World & Bush Gardens. Why shouldn't WDW be something for everyone? My mom doesn't ride rides such as Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, et al. but she still goes and loves the place. If you don't like a ride, don't go on it. But suggesting Disney shouldn't build anything but family rides does a dis-service to people who look for those on their vacations.

P.S. If Disney never built anything outside of "their market" you would NEVER have had Disneyland or Walt Disney World.

I don't think the upper level management at WDW is striving to exceed guests' expectations...but thankfully there are many in the company, I think mainly in the areas where guest interaction occurs, that still do strive for that. Its what keeps me going back right now.

You must be lucky. It depends on who you talk to.

I never let schooling interfere with my education.
-Mark Twain

Everytime I visit they meet my expectaions - I think you really need to visit other parks like SeaWorld - which charges $50 to really appreciate how good of a job Disney does

Maybe it's just me but the line between the WDW and a park such as SeaWorld seems to be getting blurrier and smaller over time. I think I know why this is true for me too.

I have VERY high expectations of Disney. This is all Disney's fault too because of what they've done in the past. They've constantly raised the bar higher and it's no fair suddenly trying to lower it. This is what I see at any rate.

Now SeaWorld, a park somewhere between WDW and Six Flags, keeps improving itself year after year. They keep raising their own bar higher and it's a joy to behold IMO. I expect to find out if Universal is doing the same thing next year.

I guess my main point is that I just don't want these upstart parks bypassing Disney someday. It seems inevitable though unless something changes the current Disney attitude.

I am surprised that Disney does not have some type of program for repeat hotel guests. My DH stays at Hilton and Starwood on business and enjoys the perks. Both offer many benefits for their loyal guests. It seems that Disney could use a similar kind of program for on-site guests. The client feels important and the company gets a lifelong client. There are still companies that work very hard to exceed the client expectations, that is the # 1 goal of DH's firm. I am not sure that Disney has done this too well lately.

Of course disney should have thrill coasters and its to their detriment that they dont!!! Disney should provide experiences that their guests want and a sizeable majority IMHO would enjoy a thrill coaster and once opened it would have long lines and would keep the long lines due to its popularity, unlike rides that some people wish were here(motion/horizons) which had little lines beacuse they werent popular.
And disney right now IMHO with current management cares little about "wowing" the guest but is happy to get buy on their repuation/good will. They are unwilling to provide the extra to make things more magical and are unwilling to spen the money to update their parks and even give us a complete park when opened, they perfer to give us cheap carny rides and half day parks that they promise will some day grow up into a full days park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter