Walt Disney World vs Disneyland for noobs

tgbanks3

Mouseketeer
A little about me: 40 year old, married man with 4 kids ages 15, 13, 7, and 5. First trip to Walt Disney World was when I was 7 or 8. I remember my dad telling me about the flying trains (monorails) that would take us to the park. Went back to back years and loved it. But for various reasons, did not go back until I graduated high school. Made the first trip with my new family about 8 years ago. It was a short trip and wasn’t the best experience as we did no planning beforehand. Fast forward to 2 years ago and we finally took a well-planned, week-long trip. And it was amazing. And we’ve been back 3 times since then. I had never been to Disneyland and had always wanted to go to the park that started it all. And we were finally able to make that happen last week. For any of you others that are wondering whether or not to make the trip, wonder no more. Do it. It was awesome. And for anyone that may not have much knowledge of the park on the West Coast, I thought I’d give a brief synopsis of my thoughts upon returning.

Disneyland:

Same attractions:

Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters – Pretty similar but give the edge to DL given that you can take the guns out of holster

Haunted Mansion – Toss up but nostalgia pushes WDW over the edge. There were some differences but not enough IMO to really push one over the other unless you’re a big fan of the Hatbox Ghost or southern plantation homes

It’s a small world – Again, not much different other than some Disney IP in DL and it’s longer. But the façade clearly pushes DL into the winner’s circle. It’s beautiful.

Jungle Cruise – Rode it at night. It’s a push. Can’t think of anything that would push one over the other.

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh – WDW wins solely due to the “bouncing” when you reach Tigger.

Pirates of the Caribbean – DL is the clear winner here. More drops. Restaurant view. Beginning scene in the Louisiana bayou. It almost makes me turn my nose down at WDW’s Pirates.

Space Mountain – Even without any overlay, DL is clearly superior. Much smoother. My 7 year old said it was his favorite ride and I’ve been hesitant to let him ride the WDW version because it’s so rough.

Splash Mountain – WDW is the clear winner here. I got much wetter on the DL version (not necessarily a good thing), but the ride seemed much shorter with nowhere near the storyline as the WDW version.

Star Tours – Toss up. Not much more to say.

Castle – Probably not fair to compare. DL’s version is quaint, but WDW’s version is the centerpiece, as it should be.

Similar attractions:

Indiana Jones Adventure – I know I will be in the minority here, but I much prefer Dinosaur at WDW. I never really got into the story with Indy like I did with Dinosaur. It seemed like it relied too much on loud noises and sudden swerves. Just wasn’t a big fan.

Original attractions:

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride – Not as good as I remembered. Blasphemy, I know. I remembered it being a much better ride, but that was probably because I was 8 years old at the time.

Snow White’s Scary Adventure – Good but not great. I would blame it on dark ride fatigue but it was the very first attraction we rode.

Storybook Land Canal Boats – Sorry Pete, but this attraction disappointed me like no other. Maybe it was the 30 min wait. Or maybe it was the hot sun beating down. I had really been looking forward to this attraction, but that was most likely a one-time thing.

Pinocchio’s Daring Journey – See Snow White but as the 2nd attraction of the day.

Matterhorn Bobsleds – This is the attraction you get 9 months after a drunken encounter between Expedition Everest and WDW’s version of Space Mountain. Rough, rough, rough, but the yetis were cool.

Did not ride:

Alice in Wonderland – Ran out of time. It is the one ride I regret not being able to ride.

Astro Orbiter – Did not ride, but love the WDW version and it looks to be much better given that it is at the top of a tower vs on the ground.

Autopia – Not thrilled with the WDW version so didn’t even worry about trying this one.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – Down for refurb

Disneyland Railroad – Another victim of time. Really wanted to try it though.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage – I didn’t ride it but the rest of the family did. They didn’t have much to say other than how long of a ride it was.

Peter Pan’s Flight – Yet another victim of time. But also a victim of not wanting to wait in that standby line.

And others.

Disney’s California Adventure:

Same attractions:

The Little Mermaid – Ride itself seemed similar but the WDW queue blows DL out of the water, no pun intended.

Soarin’ Around the World – See The Little Mermaid

Toy Story Midway Mania – It’s a push.

Similar attractions:

Grizzly River Run – This attraction is so much better than Kali River Rapids. Wetter, longer, and with more thrills.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout – I was the only one in my group to feel this way, but I still prefer Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. I’m a TZ fan so the theming is top notch. It’s my favorite attraction at WDW. However, GotG was a great attraction and the actual lifts/drops seemed better than the ToT version.

Incredicoaster – May not be fair to compare this to Rock ‘n Roller Coaster, but they both go upside down so I’m gonna be a rebel and do it. Incredicoaster is…well, incredible. Probably my favorite attraction at DL/DCA. And my older kids felt the same way. We rode it multiple times.

Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree – I haven’t been to WDW since Toy Story Land opened but this was a very fun ride. Can’t wait to try out the alien version at HS.

Radiator Springs Racers – The crown jewel of the West Coast resort. And worth every bit of praise. I should be putting this into the original attractions category because it’s not even fair comparing it to Test Track.

Original attractions:

Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train – By far the biggest waste of time during our whole trip. It was at least a 30 minute wait for a terrible, awful, boring attraction. If it’s a walk on and you have small children, it may be worth a try. But otherwise you’d be better off staring directly into the sun for 30 minutes.

Flik’s Flyers – Not much to say. It was a time waster waiting on a FP ride.

Jumpin Jellyfish – See Flik’s Flyers

Pixar Pal-A-Round – Rode both the swinging and non-swinging version. And to be honest, the swinging version was probably the most intense ride there. Recommend them both.

Lagniappe:

Food
– Didn’t eat much at DL/DCA. Had a hand dipped corn dog which was really good. Loved being able to get a Dole Whip float at the pool at the DL hotel. Dinner buffet at Goofy’s Kitchen was really good with some unique offerings on top of basic American comfort food. Had breakfast at Storyteller’s Café and we drank our weight in the cereal milk. So good. Would also recommend breakfast at Flo’s V8 Café. I had the chicken tamale breakfast and it was delicious. Overall no bad meals/food, but with there are just so many more options at WDW, and we missed our late night pasta at the cafeteria at AoA.

Shows
– We. Did. Not. Watch. A. Single. Show. Yes, that includes the night time shows. Again, time, time, time. Plus, it gives us a reason to go back ;-)

Travel
– Being within walking distance of the parks from the hotel was nice. But by day 3, it was also exhausting. And the monorail was broken down more than it was running so that didn’t help matters any.

Pooh-size friendly
– I’ve had no issues with any attractions at WDW, though I haven’t tried 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. DL/DCA is no exception. Other than Matterhorn being a very tight squeeze, none of the other attractions were much of an issue.

Fast Pass
– I’m a planner. I love planning my FP+ 3 months in advance. However, I have been converted. Disneyland’s version is much better, in my opinion. The only caveat to this is to be in the park early as you cannot make reservations until your ticket has been scanned. If you’re a late starter, you won’t like this version. But we were able to ride every FP attraction using a FP, which is impossible at WDW.

Overall:

While Radiator Springs Racers, Incredicoaster, GotG, and PotC make a good argument to choose DL over WDW, given the choice I’d choose WDW time and time again. More parks, more attractions, more food choices, and cheaper hotels blended in with a little (or maybe a lot) of nostalgia and WDW is the clear winner. Will I try go to back and visit DL again? Of course. And the rest of my family agrees. But fro now, Walt Disney World Resort remains our favorite vacation destination.

Great synopsis of DL vs WDW. DH and I consider DL our "home" park. We live closer to DL and have been there many times. We've been to WDW twice now, and have our 3rd WDW trip coming up late Nov. 2018.

More parks, more attractions, more food choices, and cheaper hotels

There's so many more things to do at WDW so we've just got to go back!

The Little Mermaid – Ride itself seemed similar but the WDW queue blows DL out of the water, no pun intended.
Makes no difference, since I've never spent more than 5 minutes in the queue. MK needs themed queues because there's so little to do in the park compared to DL, have to keep the guests from rioting.

Thanks for this post! We are WDW vets who are just starting to plan our first trip to DL. Loved reading your synopsis.

Enjoyed reading this! Not a frequent WDW visitor but having just been for a week in the fall of 2017, and then been in Disneyland this week, I found myself comparing attractions a bit and am always interested to see if others had the same takeaways! I definitely agree on Space and Pirates! I found Splash was quite long though (but also haven't been on the WDW version since 2000!).

Also, having just experienced both, I co-sign that the FastPass system at DLR is more my vibe. I loved being able to make decisions while actually in the park and while we utilized our 60-day booking well, it was kind of weird to know exactly what we'd be doing that far in advance! I would imagine the flexibility of the DLR system is helpful for groups with different ride preferences also. I DID kind of miss the FastPasses being linked to a MagicBand though, especially since my phone was struggling and I had to keep it in airplane mode to save battery and the WiFi is spotty in parts of the park.

You know, it's funny, but they shows is where I really think DLR is better than WDW and you didn't see any of them. Mickey and the Magical Map alone is worth the trip. For rides, I actually prefer the WDW versions of most things that are of the same name, though the DLR originals are very strong (I actually like the MK Space Mountain better - I know, weird, right?). I do think Indy is better than Dinosaur. At the end of the day though, both resorts are great and it's nice to have some variations on the same things.

Makes no difference, since I've never spent more than 5 minutes in the queue. MK needs themed queues because there's so little to do in the park compared to DL, have to keep the guests from rioting.

Ditto. The little mermaid doesn’t need a fancy queue because the line is almost never long enough to warrant it.

I'm weird because I actually prefer WDW to DL's Small World. I think it's the fact that the queue is inside and I like the "flooded room" version.

Pirates- DL is better hands down although I do prefer the queue at WDW. Again I like indoor queues to get me out of the sun :)

Space Mountain- Again I'm weird. DL is much smoother but I like the slight roughness of WDW cuz it makes it more thrilling for me.

Indian Jones is so much better than Dinosaur BUT I also don't feel like its super fair to compare them. They have similar ride systems but the themes are so different.

Matterhorn is fun for me for like a second and then the roughness because too much for me and I ended up hurting my back.

Alice in Wonderland is everything a dark ride should be. It's perfect.

Autopia- Better than WDW but they still both kind of suck. We also ended up getting stuck behind this little girl who kept abruptly stopping which would cuz us to accidentally bump into the people in front of us and then the castmember yells "no bumping!" like its our fault this girl can't drive.

Thunder Mountain- Way Better at DL but again prefer the queue at WDW

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage- I don't want to compare it to Epcot's Nemo ride because they are very different but the submarine voyage made me so uncomfortable and claustrophobic. It was also really long and you are inhaling other people's BO. Not cute.

Little Mermaid- Same ride but again much better queue at WDW. I mean, the queue didn't need to be so great considering its a simple dark ride. I kind of wish they had some extra features to set it apart from DL cuz I was under the impression the ride was going to be more than it was considering the facade and queue.

Soarin's the same- The queue was different and goes with the theme a little better but I also do like the futuristic version of the queue at WDW. Overall I rank them both the same.

Toy Story Midway Mania- Again the same ride but I like the indoor queue of WDW (as you can see there is a theme here. I do give points for queues lol)

Radiator Springs Racer- Sooooo much better than Test Track and I don't even like the Cars movies. I do wish the queue was better and indoors but this ride is so good.

I am not sure since Toy Story Land opened, but I am pretty sure there are more attractions at two DLR parks than there are at all four WDW parks. I love them both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter