Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

So, I know you can’t use your Magic Band to open your hotel room door or to charge store/food purchases when staying at SDR. But, MDE will still function normally without a Disney hotel account linked? For example mobile food orders and express checkouts in the stores are completely separate from hotel bill in MDE, correct?
As far as I know, people who are not staying at Disney-owned hotels can do mobile orders at restaurants. Disney would like it if everybody did mobile order. Nobody can charge mobile order to their hotel bill, even if they are staying at a Disney-owned hotel.

I've never done express checkout in the stores, so I can't help you with that.

As far as I know, people who are not staying at Disney-owned hotels can do mobile orders at restaurants. Disney would like it if everybody did mobile order. Nobody can charge mobile order to their hotel bill, even if they are staying at a Disney-owned hotel.

I've never done express checkout in the stores, so I can't help you with that.
We did express checkout last year at all the shops that offered it and the experience was awesome. Zero waiting in line.. I just couldn’t remember if the charged showed up on our hotel bill or separately.

Nope, just one slightly small woman. I think it is a queen bed if that helps. It certainly seemed larger than a twin. But, hard for me to guess since I'm one of those sleep near the edge and don't move from that spot people.
Thanks! I guess we could give it a whirl and if worse comes to worse ask for a cot 🤷‍♀️

Hi, this is probably on the thread somewhere so apologies if so! But we're considering swapping our stay from POR to the Dolphin as the rate is not much more for our stay. I just want to check I haven't missed any cons of not staying in an official Disney resort:

- MK bus goes to TTC (but you could go to Boardwalk etc to get a Disney bus?)
- Are the AK and Disney Springs buses convenient?
- No resort mug (a con because of how much coffee and coke my husband drinks!)
- Resort fees (though would be booking direct as I get discount doing this and seems to be best rate, so I think the fee is included?)
- None of the 'Disney magic' (presumably including no characters wondering around, if you're lucky to spot them), but very close to hotels that would have it. This is my biggest con right now, given the theming of Riverside has appealed for a long time - but not sure it can compete with location and being so close to the Boardwalk. Obviously that's a very personal thing. (The kids will just be excited about the pools and won't know what they've missed out on with theming!)

While there's a number of things that appeal to us about the resort, we're mostly considering changing for the location as we like being able to get about on foot, and with two young kids it'll be a lot more relaxing to have a bit more freedom, and not have to pack up buggies if they're asleep. Even if my son really loves buses...

You know the old saying, Location, Location, Location! hard to beat S/D location. We stayed at POFQ in 2020 as the prices for S/D were much higher. Fact you don't have to take a bus to 2 parks is a huge win.

You know the bus situation for MK, for AK I think the bus is actually a better spot you can see this post for a visual, DS isn't great as I think it's still dropping off on the west side by Cirque du Soleil. In my post link be sure you get the S/D mobile app, its the most updated info for bus, etc.

After our 2020 trip my wife and I agreed we wish we'd stayed at S/D, POFQ was great but location and having to bus to all 4 parks and boat to DS wasn't our fav.

Hi, this is probably on the thread somewhere so apologies if so! But we're considering swapping our stay from POR to the Dolphin as the rate is not much more for our stay. I just want to check I haven't missed any cons of not staying in an official Disney resort:

- Resort fees (though would be booking direct as I get discount doing this and seems to be best rate, so I think the fee is included?)
- None of the 'Disney magic' (presumably including no characters wondering around, if you're lucky to spot them), but very close to hotels that would have it. This is my biggest con right now, given the theming of Riverside has appealed for a long time - but not sure it can compete with location and being so close to the Boardwalk. Obviously that's a very personal thing. (The kids will just be excited about the pools and won't know what they've missed out on with theming!)

While there's a number of things that appeal to us about the resort, we're mostly considering changing for the location as we like being able to get about on foot, and with two young kids it'll be a lot more relaxing to have a bit more freedom, and not have to pack up buggies if they're asleep. Even if my son really loves buses...
I love the S/D!! I would switch in a heartbeat!! But you do still pay the resort fees. The location is worth it!

Inside Dolphin does not have much theming, but it is really magical stepping out onto the walkway between Swan and Dolphin and seeing all of Crescent Lake , resorts , and Epcot. And then HS the other way.
I couldn't agree more with this! We didn't find the magic lacking at all. During our last stay, we could look out our window and see Tower of Terror. Being within walking distance to two resorts, being able to literally see two icons from the resort, the friendship boats, the proximity to the Skyliner - I could go on and on. You can't beat it! And Fuel does have Mickey waffles, and there's a (small, but still) Disney gift shop in the lobby. We'll never go back to a moderate after staying at the Dolphin. You won't regret it!

First time staying at the Swan since about 2010. Lots of changes needless to say and I’m trying my best to catch up.

The whole bus thing worries me. We’re an impatient lot and having to do the TTC plus ferry/monorail is a bummer.

I’m thinking we will just use the Minnie Vans to and from MK. The question is, have you all had any issues securing a Minnie Van during busy season? We will be there in October.
Yes. I was slow season in Dec and had an almost 30 min wait to get one for MK opening. At night right after a night show sometimes I can’t even get one at all.

You can always use the BWI buses if you want to avoid TTC.

It has been reported numerous times, in other threads, that the guards at the gates at some Disney hotels will not let cars in (including Uber/Lyft) unless the people have either a room reservation at that hotel, or a restaurant reservation at that hotel. This includes the Contemporary. People tried to get around this rule by doing a mobile order at the quick service restaurant at the Contemporary; Disney closed down that loophole.

It's possible that the guard would let you in, but if you're trying to get to MK as quickly and easily as possible, a Minnie Van makes a lot more sense.

If you want to get an idea of Minnie Van availability, you can always open the Lyft app at home, tell it your pick up spot is Swan and your drop off spot is Magic Kingdom, and see what the wait time is.

OP, you said that you will be there in October. I'm not sure that October qualifies as "busy season." Easter, President's week in February, 4th of July, the week between Christmas and New Year's... those are what I think of as "busy season."
Yes Oct is definitely a busy season, it’s Fall Break. Similar to Spring Break, maybe slightly less popular. (As to how popular is Spring Break some folks there now are losing their minds at how crowded it is so the answer is Very popular). OP has correct expectations.

Fun fact- 4th of July was reported as one of the best days in the parks crowd wise for the last couple years.

The biggest drawback is the bus to MK.. Going to TTC means you enter with the masses of people offsite on the monorail or the boat and it adds a lot of time to the trip.

The bus for AK is again with the outside buses, but not a big deal at all - may even be closer than some of the buses at the main Disney Bus stop.

Obviously Epcot and Studios are not an issue at all - its the same boat.

I dislike the resort fee - its just a money grab IMO and worthless - but I doubt you can find a Disney Deluxe for the same price

You can buy a lot of coffee and drink with the money you save from the room rate over Disney - also make sure you look at package deals and AAA rates if you have that - there are deal with a 50 room credit per day for example.

As for the Disney Magic...what Disney Magic?
I've heard this argument about Swan and Dolphin forever.
I've stayed at most the Disney hotels and they are glorified Holiday Inns IMO.
Theming is nice but service is lacking to say the least, let alone magic.
It's very convenient to stay on the monorail and be in that area, but its not worth the extra cost.
I've been going since 83 and the hotels are the worst part of Disney IMO.
For me the cost\value does not work out and has not for a long while.

I know many will disagree, but I don't get all the love for the Disney hotels.
I disliked Yacht club concierge level so much I checked out after the first night and went to the Dolphin.

I was reading a comment about the Evermore Resort\Conrad Hotel and people was saying its fake luxury and overpriced - really but GF isn't???

Thank you everyone - you've put my mind at ease! The idea of one of us being able to pop out to the nighttime shows even if the kids need sleep is very appealing too, I've got to say and we'd never be able to afford a deluxe resort.

(Re: fees, I've done a bit more research and apparently it's a UK law that means the price has to include the fees, hence the confusion there. Obviously will double check but if that's true it is barely more than POR even with the free nights offer they're running at the moment.)

Yes Oct is definitely a busy season, it’s Fall Break. Similar to Spring Break, maybe slightly less popular. (As to how popular is Spring Break some folks there now are losing their minds at how crowded it is so the answer is Very popular). OP has correct expectations.

Fun fact- 4th of July was reported as one of the best days in the parks crowd wise for the last couple years.
Fall Break? Never heard of it. Is that a college thing? A high school and younger thing?

Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this one - I reserved a room at the Dolphin for later this year with the teacher discount. They charged me a deposit equivalent to one night's stay. The rate has since decreased, so I went into the app to modify to the lower rate. It now says if I book the rate, it will charge me an amount equivalent to over half of our total stay. Does anyone know if that will still be charged since I already paid a deposit? I am guessing I'll just need to call and ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter