• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Questions about tickets. We bought the package through Disney. We are staying at the Swan and got the tickets with the package. I know we don't get the tickets until we get to Disney. Where do we go to get them?
Front desk when you check in, they will have an envelope for you. In the meantime you should have a placeholder to be able to make park reservations.

Front desk when you check in, they will have an envelope for you. In the meantime you should have a placeholder to be able to make park reservations.

Yes, we do have the place holders. Thank you for the quick response. This is the first time staying at the Swan and this is the one part that has made DH and I more nervous. Getting them at the desk is so much easier then I thinking it was going to be.

Does it seem like the points cost for rooms has skyrocketed since dynamic pricing was introduced? I'm hoping to go in late January next year, and while it's not available for booking yet, when I check random dates I'm seeing 252K points for 5 nights at any of the three resorts. I think in the past it was around 200-210K. Still holding out hopes that my specific dates will be lower!

I'm also struggling a little bit to decide which hotel. I haven't stayed at any of them so they'd all be new to me. It's just my husband and I, but we definitely want two beds--Disney trips are tiring enough that we value the ability to roll around and get comfy without bothering each other lol. I like that the SR has newer rooms but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra distance from the parks and boardwalk. The pool is not as nice but I know we can walk over to the Grotto pool and it might be a little cold that time of year anyway.

No one ever talks about the Swan walking path to HS. It was absolutely faster than the BW walking path. It was not crowded at all and we only passed a few people (they were walking towards the Swan) but we could see across the water how full the other path was. We kept track of a few people to see if we would beat them to HS and we did by a decent amount. The Swan path definitely saves some steps because we didn’t have to walk out the back door, up the hill, nor over the bridge to get to the path like the BW path. We cut through the Swan parking lot and jumped on the path from there.
I've seen that path from the other side but could never figure out if you go up the hill, cross the road and get back on the path or it somehow goes under the road. Exactly where does it go when it gets to the road and where does it end up at HS?

Does it seem like the points cost for rooms has skyrocketed since dynamic pricing was introduced? I'm hoping to go in late January next year, and while it's not available for booking yet, when I check random dates I'm seeing 252K points for 5 nights at any of the three resorts. I think in the past it was around 200-210K. Still holding out hopes that my specific dates will be lower!

I'm also struggling a little bit to decide which hotel. I haven't stayed at any of them so they'd all be new to me. It's just my husband and I, but we definitely want two beds--Disney trips are tiring enough that we value the ability to roll around and get comfy without bothering each other lol. I like that the SR has newer rooms but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra distance from the parks and boardwalk. The pool is not as nice but I know we can walk over to the Grotto pool and it might be a little cold that time of year anyway.
Unfortunately that higher points value is more accurate. Many nights are 60k points. You can keep watching that though. I just was about to jump on a 42k point night which was much lower than I have seen in a long time.

Haven't stayed at Reserve but I'd vote for Swan over Dolphin now that I have stayed at both.

Does it seem like the points cost for rooms has skyrocketed since dynamic pricing was introduced?
Increased yes, Imho skyrocketed no.

I don’t think full dynamic pricing has been introduced yet? Thought it was coming in March, but I think I just got that confused with last year’s pseudo-dynamic pricing going live. DoC says sometime in 2023. Fully dynamic will mean there are no price caps on award nights.

I am curious to see what changes come to the point structure. I have modified my Flamingo Crossing Marriott reservation for late Feb 3 times in the past 2 weeks because the points required keeps dropping. Three nights at the Dolphin are a total of 147,000 for the end of this month.

I've seen that path from the other side but could never figure out if you go up the hill, cross the road and get back on the path or it somehow goes under the road. Exactly where does it go when it gets to the road and where does it end up at HS?
You go up to the street, over the bridge and back down to the path on the BoardWalk side.

I am curious to see what changes come to the point structure. I have modified my Flamingo Crossing Marriott reservation for late Feb 3 times in the past 2 weeks because the points required keeps dropping. Three nights at the Dolphin are a total of 147,000 for the end of this month.
I'm guessing everybody knows this, but just in case, the 5th night is free if you're staying on points. Basically brings down the price per night by 20%.

I don't think I could plan a stay for 3 nights knowing I could get 2 more nights for the price of 1. 😉

I'm guessing everybody knows this, but just in case, the 5th night is free if you're staying on points. Basically brings down the price per night by 20%.

I don't think I could plan a stay for 3 nights knowing I could get 2 more nights for the price of 1. 😉
I was going to stay 5 but my plans changed. I’m spending 74,000 pts for 3 nights at Flamingo Crossing. I only do the Swan on free night certificates, would probably never just use points there. Everyone is different, thankfully.

At Dolphin now with family- burned up 700000 points for the week ( multiple rooms)

They don’t treat people staying on points like actual guests anymore- nevermind respecting lifetime status - my app said your room was upgraded - 12th floor looking at the garbage dumpsters as far from the elevator as you can get. Front desk actually said cash rooms have the priority When I asked how this was an upgrade.

I am done with S/D glad I used up my banked points.

At Dolphin now with family- burned up 700000 points for the week ( multiple rooms)

They don’t treat people staying on points like actual guests anymore- nevermind respecting lifetime status - my app said your room was upgraded - 12th floor looking at the garbage dumpsters as far from the elevator as you can get. Front desk actually said cash rooms have the priority When I asked how this was an upgrade.

Interesting, I spoke with someone at the Dolphin about a month ago, and she told me that she prioritizes first by status (first Ambassador, then Titanium, then Platinum, etc.), but after that she looks for people staying on points ahead of cash guests. I guess this probably means there are no hard and fast rules, each manager/assistant manager can go with their own approach.

Interesting, I spoke with someone at the Dolphin about a month ago, and she told me that she prioritizes first by status (first Ambassador, then Titanium, then Platinum, etc.), but after that she looks for people staying on points ahead of cash guests. I guess this probably means there are no hard and fast rules, each manager/assistant manager can go with their own approach.
I am Titanium and most Marriotts will look at least for a better view on request- this reservation was made 11 months ago so it was not last min.

Yes up a small hill to get to the bridge. The pedestrian path is separated from the highway and felt very secure. Just follow the path over the bridge. It meets up with the BW path just below the bridge and continues together as a single pathway. Maybe it was a nice walk at a good pace because there was only a handful of people on the Swan side. The BW side was very crowded. It was 9/8 which happened to be Disney+ day (and our 10-year wedding anniversary) and the parks opened an hour early for early entry instead of 30 minutes. It was a very busy, crowded morning at HS!

Attachments

• F9336D84-5851-4D57-B6FD-D2DAE029AA0C.jpeg
    F9336D84-5851-4D57-B6FD-D2DAE029AA0C.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 29
Huge Swolphin fan - many stays. Coming back soon but have Pop booked b/c I truly would like to experience more WDW resorts. Solo trip and barely time in the room so I've been OK with it. Until now.....

I see that one of my nights I'm there - Dolphin is a low Marriott point value (42,000 - lower than I've recently seen) and I have a free night certificate I can use and then add some top off points (but of course I can use this free night award in the future on other family vacations). The second night is, all in, $375.

My stay at Pop is $600 for the two nights.

Is there a better deal in here? Or is it neglible? I promised DH I wouldn't bother him with these questions - but I cannot decide. I miss Dolphin!
I would definitely choose Dolphin over Pop. My family stayed at Pop in September 2019 and I don’t think I’ll ever go back if I can avoid it. The walls are thin, the walk is long to get anywhere except a pool, the Skyliner is unpredictable (as are the buses), and the food was so-so. I’m not a fan of the motel-style either. I can imagine the frustration of walking all the way to the Skyliner to find that it’s closed and then having to walk all the way to the buses. I’d use the points/certificate and pay for the 2nd night at Dolphin to save the money but also enjoy the convenience of the BW area. Splurge on a nice breakfast one morning (I love Ale & Compass’ buffet that includes an entree and drink for only $23).

Sorry you felt that way, but IMHO this is more of an issue with Marriott Bonvoy then with SDR. I may have missed what level of room that you actually booked, but if you booked a non-view level room you got what you paid for. It's risky to expect an upgrade at SDR just based on your Bonvoy status. Hotel occupancy and timing of your booking all play factors. Depending on when you went their occupancy rate may have been such they didn't have extra rooms to move you into. This has been a known item of contention by some regular SDR "elite" status members for some time.

Many of the resort Marriott branded locations have become very frustrated at the points value (aka the amount they get paid by Bonvoy) and have been the ones behind pushing for changes. Perhaps if SDR was paid a more resonable amount by Bonvoy they would be more inclined to hold back rooms. From my experience with the SPG points it seemed more likely to get upgrade options through SPG then with Bonvoy.

If anyone is keeping track of all of my changes, yesterday I was able to adjust my Swan stay to cover both nights and no longer have a split stay! What started as just a cruise with a visit to KSC has turned into a Disney weekend followed by a weeklong cruise. 🙃 Boma and Boardwalk fun on Friday night, parks open to close (with some shared QS meals/snacks and a nap in there somewhere) on Saturday, then Ale & Compass breakfast on Sunday before heading to the port. Now I have to tell myself to stop doing any other planning and what we have is enough!

*sigh* We try to warn people about this.

These hotels are very bad about status- but people often chose to be optimistic because some gold chimes in and says but they always get upgraded. Like that’s lovely, but we try to warn people the norm is not upgraded by these properties…

Yes up a small hill to get to the bridge. The pedestrian path is separated from the highway and felt very secure. Just follow the path over the bridge. It meets up with the BW path just below the bridge and continues together as a single pathway. Maybe it was a nice walk at a good pace because there was only a handful of people on the Swan side. The BW side was very crowded. It was 9/8 which happened to be Disney+ day (and our 10-year wedding anniversary) and the parks opened an hour early for early entry instead of 30 minutes. It was a very busy, crowded morning at HS!
Thank you so much for this!!! I had noticed this path on Google Maps but didn't want to risk walking it if it didn't actually connect. I'll definitely be walking this way on our next visit!

I was upgraded 5 days out for every stay at S/D even if it was just a view upgrade. This time they claim my room is an upgrade- if you know the Dolphin the 12 floor central is no upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter