Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Well, based on your criteria here, Aimee, I see another Swan stay in your future.

I agree.
Aimee, I'd ask the concierge at Swan if there's a room they know of that would meet your criteria. If you get someone that's been there for a while, they might have a sneaky cool room that hits on everything, or is a great compromise for your "wants." We pay a LOT for these resorts, might as well try to be as happy as possible for the room location instead of just being stuck where they put you. I know which bank of rooms I want to stay in at Dolphin after speaking with an excellent concierge. Couldn't be happier with the location he suggested for us.

Which would you choose: Swan or Dolphin for solo staycation? I've stayed at Swan multiple times but never Dolphin. I love the quiet pool at the Swan, not a fan of the feature pool. Never walked by the quiet pool at the Dolphin to compare.

I primarily want a quiet pool where I can easily found a lounger in the sun and a peaceful room. Don't care about view or bed size, though I really hate long treks to my room (I'm looking at you, Kidani).

Dolphin is $20/night less than the Swan.

Which would you choose?
Dolphin has a much more vibrant lobby and upbeat feel to it. When we've stayed at Swan, it's normally pretty low key and much more reserved. However, I have stayed there while cheer families were there so it was much more lively than it usually is. We enjoy both hotels but if you don't want to trek a bunch, I'd stick with Swan for only $20 more/night.

The Dolphin is larger and if you end up with an end of the hall/corner room, which we have, you'll save your feet some steps. I don't know about Dolphin's pool so no intel there for you.

Three tries to use it. Twice … chaos. Packed, crowded, and machines all in use and reserved with piles of laundry.

Third time (tonight) I though I was lucky. Tons of washing machines available. I realized when my wash was done, though, that the dryers were all in use. Almost all full of wet DIRTY shoes, fresh from the parks. Even people taking off their dirty shoes and dirty socks right in the laundry room, stuffing them in dryers.

It’s disgusting. I came here (finally) to clean my clothes, and my family’s clean underwear and shirts go in a dryer after someone’s filthy shoes and unwashed socks.

Just gross.
I don't understand how people can be so gross- BARF!!! I have had to do laundry on our vacations at hotels and it's always a toss up on what you'll encounter.

Anyone there now? A friend is staying there and they’re being evacuated currently. Just wondering if anyone had any insight as to why.
we are in the middle of a 10 day stay currently. Ever hear what happened? Evacuated from where? We did drive down to Peppa Pig park yesterday but were here til about 11 and again after 5ish. It must have been while we were gone.

We may be adding a third adult midway thro our stay. I want to make sure she is included for MDE purposes, but I don’t want to pay the additional adult fee for the nights she won’t be with us. Have any of you dealt with this at the Swan? Thanks
They charge extra for the rollaway, not the adult...at least thats how it works at dolphin. I just had a rollaway for 4 nights of my 10. I went down on the day I wanted it removed and told them it was no longer needed and they fixed my bill. Same for parking with a rental car for only part of the stay. Oddly, they never came to get the rollaway from me, so I stuck it in the hall myself to get it out of the way. Other visits I have had a 3rd adult registered to the room (5th person) and she lives/works at disney so doesn't actually stay with me, and they have never charged b/c I didn't need the actual bed.

They charge extra for the rollaway, not the adult...at least thats how it works at dolphin. I just had a rollaway for 4 nights of my 10. I went down on the day I wanted it removed and told them it was no longer needed and they fixed my bill. Same for parking with a rental car for only part of the stay. Oddly, they never came to get the rollaway from me, so I stuck it in the hall myself to get it out of the way. Other visits I have had a 3rd adult registered to the room (5th person) and she lives/works at disney so doesn't actually stay with me, and they have never charged b/c I didn't need the actual bed.
Are you sure about this? I've always read that Swan/Dolphin does charge for a third adult.

In the middle of a stay at Swan right now — and love it. It’s a great hotel, and the easy walk to two parks (plus the morning park benefits for staying here) are awesome.

(I prefer it much more than Dolphin, even though they’re effectively two parts of the same hotel. Dolphin has been chaotic and crowded. Swan is quiet and relaxed - and I think a bit more upscale.)

The only thing I hate - discussed in this thread a few weeks ago - is the guest laundry (the one and only guest laundry for the whole complex, located on the main floor of Dolphin).

Three tries to use it. Twice … chaos. Packed, crowded, and machines all in use and reserved with piles of laundry.

Third time (tonight) I though I was lucky. Tons of washing machines available. I realized when my wash was done, though, that the dryers were all in use. Almost all full of wet DIRTY shoes, fresh from the parks. Even people taking off their dirty shoes and dirty socks right in the laundry room, stuffing them in dryers.

It’s disgusting. I came here (finally) to clean my clothes, and my family’s clean underwear and shirts go in a dryer after someone’s filthy shoes and unwashed socks.

Just gross.
Are you getting bottled water?

Looking at my bill and seeing two different taxes being applied to each day's resort fee of $35. Is this the norm? It's bringing my resort fee close to 40 for each day. Very annoying they would tax the resort fee much less double tax it.

Looking at my bill and seeing two different taxes being applied to each day's resort fee of $35. Is this the norm? It's bringing my resort fee close to 40 for each day. Very annoying they would tax the resort fee much less double tax it.
Yes this is the norm. I don't think this is the hotel charging this. Believe it's the county that keeps those taxes on the resort fee. Sure, the hotel could not charge the resort fee but they do so Osceola/Orange counties got to get their 6% cut. That's what it was when I stayed last back in April. It was $35 resort fee, $2.10 tax/service pckg and $2.28 package tax. Not sure why one was a little more. Then the 6% tax on my room fee.

Are you sure about this? I've always read that Swan/Dolphin does charge for a third adult.
Yes they charge for third or more adults per day.

Hey their online system (Marriott) has been known to charge the $50 extra fee for children under 16 sometimes even when you are below the room limit(s).

You often have to call the local resort phone number Local general number: 407-934-4000 or Local Reservations: 1-888-828-8850. If you have any issues call and ask for the Operator to make the transfer to in-house reservations.

If the local reps are busy the reservation calls will roll over to one of the Marriott call centers which have no clue. So simply have the hotel operator retry the local transfer.

Dave

Yes this is the norm. I don't think this is the hotel charging this. Believe it's the county that keeps those taxes on the resort fee. Sure, the hotel could not charge the resort fee but they do so Osceola/Orange counties got to get their 6% cut. That's what it was when I stayed last back in April. It was $35 resort fee, $2.10 tax/service pckg and $2.28 package tax. Not sure why one was a little more. Then the 6% tax on my room fee.
It's funny that the 35 a day doesn't bother me one bit but being taxed the extra 4 on it does lol. I guess because I see it as a bs type of fee/tax anyway I feel that taxing it is just overkill and unwarranted. But then again the whole travel industry does this so why am I even shocked. Really had the best stay and was so impressed with the Swan and looking at the bill this morning just kinda made me go "huh will you look at that". Not a big deal but just wanted to know. Will maybe write up a larger trip review later glowing about the Swan/Dolphin complex. Really fell in love with it.

Tax is 12.5% for the resort stay and their fees. I wish I could blame the resort for price gouging more but we’d be paying the same amount of tax even if they hid the resort fee into the nightly rate.
6A08DAC3-1FF5-43DD-BFBD-80F6D9CAE81E.jpeg

It's funny that the 35 a day doesn't bother me one bit but being taxed the extra 4 on it does lol. I guess because I see it as a bs type of fee/tax anyway I feel that taxing it is just overkill and unwarranted. But then again the whole travel industry does this so why am I even shocked. Really had the best stay and was so impressed with the Swan and looking at the bill this morning just kinda made me go "huh will you look at that". Not a big deal but just wanted to know. Will maybe write up a larger trip review later glowing about the Swan/Dolphin complex. Really fell in love with it.
When did you check in? With the new price increase to $40, I’m curious to know if they charged the lesser $35 because you booked before the increase, or checked in just before it.

Our same group stayed at the Swan in March. We knew there was an extra adult fee of $25/night. I think for the Swan, there isn't room for a rollaway and you can't even request one. (I could be wrong.). It's me and my 27 yo daughter and my sister and her 17 yo daughter (3 adults and 1 child); we're fine with 2 beds. It now turns out that my sister has been able to adjust her schedule so she will join us for the entire trip.

It all worked out fine because I failed to request an AP discount when I first booked. I updated my booking a couple of days ago and we are getting a better room category for about $130 less. We went from a Standard 2 queen, no view, no balcony to a Deluxe resort view, 2 queen, w/balcony.

I appreciate the input from folks though!

I think for the Swan, there isn't room for a rollaway and you can't even request one. (I could be wrong.)
You are correct, under the Traditional Room category you'll see a list of square footages for the rooms as well as occupancy. Due to the size of the rooms the Swan and Reserve are both set at 4 while the Dolphin is five - thus you can get a roll-away.

We’re you getting water bottles daily?
Water in the room when we got there. I believe they replenished the next day but then we instacarted 24 packs of water and whether right or wrong I think because they saw all that water they stopped giving. I don't mind because we had so much water but I can see how someone would still want their bottles simply because it's part of the fee.

Not necessarily any longer.
The two bottles a day is was nice little perk but in all reality those two bottles can go in two minutes. It's almost a must at this point to be ordering cases of water for not only the obvious to stay hydrated, but to save you the exorbitant fee that every place down there charges for one bottle. I mean even with instacart prices from Publix I'm getting 24 Dasanis for the retail price of 1 and a half bottles of water on campus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter