• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Officially switched from Dolphin to Swan. Dolphin looks like a way more happening hotel but with a toddler I just need those Queen beds. And somehow it came out $50 cheaper so all in all just excited to try the Swan out! Only stayed in Disney branded hotels and honestly at this point not sure how much I care about theming anymore. Would much rather have the location while also not paying ridiculous amounts of money at the Beach/Yacht/Boardwalk. I think the only hotels that would make me miss theming and make me pay a little more would be Poly/Wilderness/Animal Kingdom but even then the Swan/Dolphin pricing can't be beat.
I also had only stayed in Disney hotels previously and had our first visit to the Swan last weekend. I loved it!! Unless Disney brings back included airport transportation or some other benefits, I will likely stay at the Swan from now on. Boardwalk entertainment was a short walk away, and so was Fantasia Gardens which we enjoyed one morning before heading to the parks. Rooms were spacious and clean and the water bottles in the room was a nice added perk. The AAA 20% dining discount was fantastic too. We were a party of 4 adult-sized people so the queen beds and extra sink at the Swan made the Swan vs Dolphin decision very easy for us.

I just booked a weekend at Dolphin for September. Never been. Wanted to stay near the Boardwalk, in part to eat at the restaurants here and the Swan, and the price was right. However, after reading recent reviews I'm having second thoughts, and luckily booked at a refundable rate. Here are the things that are most disconcerting:

-the ant problem
-more generally, issues with cleanliness
-general issues with service
-the $5 service charge, specifically the lack of clarity on when and how it's charged
- the possibility of construction (going in mid Sep

I'm slightly concerned about the issues connecting to MDE, but I feel confident that I can get over and/or around that. Does anyone have insight into whether it's reasonable to be concerned about some of the other issues above? Any recent experiences, whether good or bad, on these fronts?

I just booked a weekend at Dolphin for September. Never been. Wanted to stay near the Boardwalk, in part to eat at the restaurants here and the Swan, and the price was right. However, after reading recent reviews I'm having second thoughts, and luckily booked at a refundable rate. Here are the things that are most disconcerting:

-the ant problem
-the $5 service charge, specifically the lack of clarity on when and how it's charged

I'm slightly concerned about the issues connecting to MDE, but I feel confident that I can get over and/or around that. Does anyone have insight into whether it's reasonable to be concerned about some of the other issues above? Any recent experiences, whether good or bad, on these fronts?
I go to the Swalphin about 5 times a year and I rarely have any issues. I go again in just over two weeks. I will post an update after my trip.

@sipnride I'm not sure where you read things at, if you read backwards from here I think you'll see a different picture. Is the S/D 100% perfect? No, but I'd say most of those issues are minor. Yes, Picabu has a service charge and there is some discrepancy, but doesn't appear from this poster to be a flat $5. Cleaning S/D has been on an upswig as far as frequency, better than Disney hotels it appears. Never seen any ant issues, but fact is Florida has bugs... lots of them. I'm not sure what construction would be going on Swan Reserve is open, and the new pool complex construction dates haven't been announced (that I've seen or can find).

@sipnride I'm not sure where you read things at, if you read backwards from here I think you'll see a different picture. Is the S/D 100% perfect? No, but I'd say most of those issues are minor. Yes, Picabu has a service charge and there is some discrepancy, but doesn't appear from this poster to be a flat $5. Cleaning S/D has been on an upswig as far as frequency, better than Disney hotels it appears. Never seen any ant issues, but fact is Florida has bugs... lots of them. I'm not sure what construction would be going on Swan Reserve is open, and the new pool complex construction dates haven't been announced (that I've seen or can find).
Several places but TripAdvisor notably had a slew of recent negative reviews. Living in Virginia with a house that backs to the woods I'm no stranger to bugs but we keep our house clean and perform basic quarterly pest control and that keeps the house pretty much bug free. When I see multiple reviews noting a bug problem it raises flags about the overall maintenance is all. Same with reviews that start with people checking into rooms that have not been cleaned well. I don't care so much how thorough housekeeping is cleaning throughout the stay (though I certainly appreciate it) but if rooms aren't cleaned well after someone checks out, that would be a problem for me.

DH and kids just back from Swan. They liked the hotel overall. Booked a 'resort view' room and did not get the side facing Dolphin, got the opposite side, nbd but next time I think I would book a standard view and save the money (I think it was around $20/night difference.) Got a good deal with AP and they did not charge the extra person charge. It was $300/night all in.

Everything was clean and housekeeping was ok but they needed some items on two nights and housekeeping did not arrive. Sent two text messages the first time, both times receiving a text that said, 'yes, we are on our way' but never showed. Tried again next evening and again no response. Finally resorted to self-serve via the linen closet. I think the problem was requesting things in the evening. After a certain hour the housekeepers are -gone-.

Booked through Marriott and did not have any problems linking room to MDE and no problems accessing the parks at early or late hours.

Thanks for all the tips and advice here, this is a great thread :smickey:

Last edited:

@sipnride TripAdvisor and Yelp are like that, honestly I don't trust either for reviews over the past few years. If I don't see they actually checked in to the resort I ignore it. A few years back I was reading them and clearly the reviews were people that were sent by their company for a conference, they were not happy they had to share a room, yet the chose to rip the Dolphin. As I said read the comments here and you will come away with a different view. I will not say that the hotels are perfect, but I think the reviews here are a lot less biased and honest.

Quick question about the Alcove rooms at the Dolphin. I was looking to get a general price for these and so I was on Marriot's site picking random dates (all the way to 11 months out)....
I can't find any?
Does anyone know, does Dolphin hide these until a certain time? I cannot believe that there are literally no Alcove rooms for the entire year... I'm thinking it must be a glitch?

I have seared with 9 days all the way down to 1 day with flexible dates.

@Wells Larsen you might want to call the hotel or even the Bonvoy to see, I wonder if they've pulled some of the rooms off the online booking option.
I may have to, though I hate calling there. I always get a generic, centralized customer support agent that gives canned answers (and doesn't know anything more). I'll probably procrastinate since the trip I'm planning isn't until Dec 2023

-the ant problem

We've stayed at Swan/Dolphin a handful of times over the last few years and most recently this past April. We had no ants or any issues with cleanliness. However, it's the south and there are bugs so we go into our travels with the chance they could be present. It's never been an issue any where we've stayed at Disney.

I realize that this can vary but we've not had any negative issues with cleanliness in our last few visits. I am not sure what $5 service charge you're referring to? I know there is a resort fee and a parking fee but not sure what the service charge is for. Can't speak to construction issues but have stayed at many disney resorts undergoing construction, usually moderates or deluxes, and they've never had any major loudness issues or obstacles.

We had some MDE disconnects where my reservation would disappear but I always check before we leave and luckily, it never gives us any trouble when we're at WDW. I had a few times pre- departure where the resort res disappears from MDE but I would just add it back with no issue. Not sure why this is an ongoing issue but it's a minor inconvenience.

I may have to, though I hate calling there. I always get a generic, centralized customer support agent that gives canned answers (and doesn't know anything more). I'll probably procrastinate since the trip I'm planning isn't until Dec 2023
When you call do it M-F 8-5 (I suggest 9-4) and ask for In-House Reservations, I suggest using the local # 407-934-4000

Question… I recently applied for the Marriott credit card and earned 3 nights free. We are going for 7 nights, so I planned to pay for the additional nights. Can they link the 2 reservations or should I call to make the reservation? Every time I attempt to use the cash/point rate option online, it doesn’t work. Any ideas?

Our upcoming stay at Swan Reserve was booked through Disney with 4 day base tickets as part of the package. When I went to set up our park reservations Guest Services had to put park ticket "placeholders" in my account and said the physical tickets will be handed to me at check-in which then I will link to My Disney Experience so we can use our magic bands. Is that information from the cast member accurate? We will be handed physical park tickets?

Our upcoming stay at Swan Reserve was booked through Disney with 4 day base tickets as part of the package. When I went to set up our park reservations Guest Services had to put park ticket "placeholders" in my account and said the physical tickets will be handed to me at check-in which then I will link to My Disney Experience so we can use our magic bands. Is that information from the cast member accurate? We will be handed physical park tickets?
Odd that the base tickets were not already linked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter