• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

And also at check-in as a reminder.

Already created my concierge account and learned something new! Apparently they have free bed rails which would mean we wouldn't mind either 2 doubles or a King. Great to know! Put in a request for connecting rooms as well. Absolutely cannot wait for this trip and this board has seriously helped fuel my excitement. What a great group of helpful people!

Can anyone tell me about current construction at the Dolphin? Have a trip coming up in one week, and trying to figure out if I ought to switch resorts. Thanks!

Came across good article on S/D on the disney dining website (can't link the website here)

8 Amazing Things About Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resorts

8. Interesting Architecture

Can’t say you have seen this building design before? Giant Dolphin fish and huge Swans grace the buildings and block out many of the views you would have without them there. Some rooms have balconies but not all of them. These resorts are one-of-a-kind designed by Michael Graves. The guest rooms were redesigned in 2003-2005 to tone down the interiors from what Graves created them to be when the resorts opened in 1990. The Dolphin is 27-stories high and triangular in shape. On top balance two 56-foot tall Dolphin Fish standing on their heads with their tales in the air. There are beautiful large palm trees surrounding the Dolphin. The Swan has a main building that is 12-stories high and two wings that are 7-stories high. On top are two 47-foot tall Swans. These are very unusual buildings and sculptures. Unlike everything at a Walt Disney World resort having a story behind the designs, we don’t know if there is one that goes with the design of these two buildings. It is a shame that we are not told Michael Graves inspiration/explanation of his designs. The Lobby of the Dolphin is similar to the Cinderella Castle Hub at Magic Kingdom. It is a large rotunda and has Guests moving outward in different directions to shops and the like. The lobby of the Swan however is very different and incredibly small.

7. Business Center

The Dolphin tends to be louder and more adult as it holds the largest convention space on Walt Disney World property. It caters to business travelers. The Swan on the other hand is quieter and more reserved than its partner resort. 254,000 square feet of convention space is a businessman’s playground. There are four ballrooms, exhibit halls and 80+ breakout rooms. There is a business center that offers a step above most. There is a complete staff in this business center to help you with whatever you need, be it high-volume printing, printing additional materials if you run out, large items such as banners, renting of office equipment, shipping, and it is available 24-hours a day . Guests can make use of the National & Alamo car rentals at the resort itself.

6. Very Nice Guest Rooms

The 365-square foot rooms are appointed with luxury bedding, muted colors, light maple wood and frosted glass. Guests enjoy the “Heavenly Beds” that come with pillow-top mattresses, four over-stuffed pillows and a bolster on the bed, goose down comforters, and upgraded toiletries. You will find small refrigerators, in-room safe large enough for a laptop, 32” flat screen TV, special TV programming, hair dryers, make-up mirror, iron and ironing board, complimentary daily weekly newspaper, and some rooms have balconies. Each standard room sleeps up to five adults and the suites will sleep up to 10 adults. There is a vanity located outside of each bathroom. You will find the variety of suites to be large and they are all impressive.

5. Children’s Activities

During the summer every Saturday night they show a Disney movie by the pool. There is a kiddie pool along with 5 swimming pools, a water play area and a boat playground with slides for children to enjoy. Disney’s Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf course is right across the street from the resorts and is quite fun for people of all ages. There is an Arcade and a childcare facility on site. Children enjoy the boat transportation to Epcot and also the bicycle rentals nearby at Disney’s Boardwalk resort, particularly the family Surry bicycle. Children can now enjoy their own dining pass for the Swan & Dolphin resorts. Any child 12 years old and younger can use a dining pass that their parents purchase for them that allows them to all-inclusive access to certain children’s menus, buffets, and beverages. The cost is $25. Per day, per child. Camp Dolphin offers arts & crafts, movies, video arcades, even dinner to children age 12 and under. There is often a water volleyball game you can join in on or maybe a lively game of Marco Polo. There are ping pong tables, a playground and even a giant game of checkers to enjoy.

4. Sporting Activities

The Grotto Pool at the Dolphin is shaped like a sea shell and is graced by a gentle waterfall and a waterslide. The Swan’s pool on the other hand would remind you of Olympic competition pools in its generic rectangle shape. There are five swimming pools and 5 hot tubs and a kiddie pool available for swimming. There is a nice beach to look at and perhaps play Volleyball on, but not for swimming. Ping-Pong, tennis, basketball, volleyball, jogging trail, and a video arcade. Finish the day at the Mandara Spa. Disney’s Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf is just next door and will delight mini-golfers of all ages. Those who want more of a challenge can take on the Fantasia Fairways course next to it that is a par ¾ challenge course. There is a health club on premises and guests can make advance tee time reservations for any of the Walt Disney World golf courses. There are paddle-boat rentals that look like giant swans.

3. Not Disney Owned, yet participate in Extra Magic Hours

The Sheraton Hotel chain owns the Dolphin and the Westin Hotel chain owns the Swan, both chains being owned by Starwood Resorts. You can make reservations through the Disney reservation system or through the chain’s own reservation systems. The property covers about 87-acres and contains 191 suites and 2,265 rooms. Guests are able to make FastPass+ selections up to 60 days in advance of their arrival. Even though this is not a Disney-owned resort, you can still enjoy a character dining experience at dinner nightly and for breakfast on the weekends. Swan & Dolphin resort guests enjoy Disney boat transportation to Epcot’s International Gateway, as well as being able to walk there, not to mention boat transportation to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. There are no other non-Disney owned resorts that can offer you that close proximity to two parks. There is boat transportation to Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club and Boardwalk resorts where guests can enjoy more dining, shopping and entertainment options. There is complimentary Walt Disney World bus transportation from both resorts to the theme parks, water parks, and Downtown Disney/Disney Springs. There are some drawbacks of note to consider. Guests of these resorts cannot charge purchases or dining to their resort with MagicBands or anything else. Guests also do not get the complimentary Magical Express bus service from Orlando International Airport.

2. Big Discounts

These resorts often have drastic rate cuts for certain groups and certain times of the year. It has been reported that more Starwood points have been used to redeem rooms at these two resorts than any of the company’s resorts in 95 countries. They offer AAA and Starwood Preferred Guests® discounts all year and then short-term discounts during Grandparent’s Day that offers a deep 50% off the regular rate. Florida Residents also enjoy a discount. There are special packages for the Food & Wine Classic, for golfers, and luxury spa getaways. Teachers and school support staff, nurses, and military receive a discount, but it does not extend the discount to Homeschoolers.

1. A Wealth of Dining Options

There are nine options within both of these properties. Some would argue that Don Shula’s has the best steak in Walt Disney World, using only the best steaks available Premium Black Angus Beef® steaks. The atmosphere of Shula’s is that of a posh gentleman’s club with white tablecloths, elegant settings, comfortable seating and photos of Miami Dolphin’s 1972 football season on the walls. All of the signature restaurants offer your child complimentary fun for two hours, while you eat, at Camp Dolphin. One child offer per adult entrée ordered. The offer is first-come, first-served as there is a limit of children they can take at a time. Reservations are highly recommended. Il Mulino is a New York Trattoria and is one of the four signature restaurants. They bring the best Italy has to offer in a comfortable, contemporary dining room and lounge. The menu offers handmade pastas, pizza, risotto, family-style options, steaks, fish, chicken, beef, pork, and vegetarian and gluten–free options. Todd’s English Bluezoo is named for celebrity chef Todd English famous for fresh seafood dishes and sustainable farm options. The décor is graced with beautiful glass art pieces in the lighting and the structure. Kimono’s is a delightful and tasty restaurant offering the best sushi around. Guests enjoy the teak tables and chairs and colorful kimonos hanging on display. Yes, there is live music, with karaoke nightly! By the Dolphin lap pool we have Cabana Bar and Beach Club that is open for lunch, dinner, light snacks and refreshing beverages. Picabu is a creative space to dine and shop. You will find delicious, affordable for families, menu items here. Children love searching for Picabu, a character they quickly become familiar with, around the restaurant. Picabu is open 24-hours a day and also contains a merchandise shop. Fresh Mediterranean Market serves the freshest foods available that day using timeless recipes from Spain, France, Greece, Italy and Morocco. At The Fountain guests will find classic items such as salads, burgers, sandwiches, ice cream treats during lunch and dinner hours. In addition the two resorts offer their own Annual Food & Wine Classic weekend, held in the end of October where they offer educational seminars. Sample fine wine and culinary plates with samples of appetizers to desserts. There is also live music. If you are not a guest of the resort during this event tickets can still be purchased. They offer a Personal Pantry Service where you tell them your favorite beverages and snacks, from their list, and they make sure your mini-refrigerator has what you want available in your room. The prices are surprisingly affordable and there is no added service charges.

Hi again -
For our trip in December, we are arriving at at MCO around 8:15AM and would like to stop at the Dolphin to drop our bags off/check-in before heading to AK. While I'm certain it will be too early to get into our room, it shouldn't be a problem to check-in, give our room preferences, and leave our bags, right? My thought process is that by checking in earlier, rather than after a full day at the park, we'd have a better chance of getting our room preferences. Do you think that's the case or the opposite?

Also, would you suggest taking the bus from there to AK or driving and parking? We will have a rental car.

For our trip in December, we are arriving at at MCO around 8:15AM and would like to stop at the Dolphin to drop our bags off/check-in before heading to AK. While I'm certain it will be too early to get into our room, it shouldn't be a problem to check-in, give our room preferences, and leave our bags, right?
Right. The Swolphin will hold your bags until you return to the resort from the Park.

My thought process is that by checking in earlier, rather than after a full day at the park, we'd have a better chance of getting our room preferences. Do you think that's the case or the opposite?
I would think that also, but let the desk know your preferences are more important to you than maybe an hour or a few hours earlier availability, if in fact you do not need the room super early.

Also, would you suggest taking the bus from there to AK or driving and parking? We will have a rental car
I prefer the bus, and I have had a rental car there most trips.

NEW THREAD ................................Just saw that Marriott purchased Starwood who runs the Swan abd Dolphin... anyone know if u can use marriott Rewards points there yet ????

NEW THREAD ................................Just saw that Marriott purchased Starwood who runs the Swan abd Dolphin... anyone know if u can use marriott Rewards points there yet ????
According to press, it won't be a completed deal until at least mid 2016. I would not expect anything at all before then, and when completed, until some time after that.

I did get an email from SPG today - here it is:

ImageProxy.mvc

Today we're excited to share the news that Starwood Hotels & Resorts will join together with Marriott International to create the world's largest hotel company. For our Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) members, this will mean even more choices in even more places, giving you access to 1.1 million rooms across 5,500 hotels and resorts in more than 100 countries.

We will work to bring you the very best of SPG and Marriott Rewards®, two of the most rewarding loyalty programs in our industry. Our members are at the core of everything we do, and that will not change.

Today is the first day of a long journey as we combine our two companies. For now, we remain separate, and there is no change to your SPG program status, your Starpoints® or your existing reservations. You will continue to earn Starpoints and elite stay/night credit for your stays, as well as bonus Starpoints for any promotions in which you are participating. There is no change to how you manage your SPG account or book reservations.

Over the coming months, as we have more to share, we'll be sure to reach out to you by email, at spg.com and via twitter (@spg). In the meantime, we remain at your service wherever you need us — whether in our hotels, atspg.com, on the SPG mobile app or via our Customer Contact Centers.

Thank you for sharing your travels with us.

I didn't get anything from Marriott even though I am also a Marriott Rewards member.

I did get an email from SPG today - here it is:

ImageProxy.mvc

Today we're excited to share the news that Starwood Hotels & Resorts will join together with Marriott International to create the world's largest hotel company. For our Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) members, this will mean even more choices in even more places, giving you access to 1.1 million rooms across 5,500 hotels and resorts in more than 100 countries.

We will work to bring you the very best of SPG and Marriott Rewards®, two of the most rewarding loyalty programs in our industry. Our members are at the core of everything we do, and that will not change.

Today is the first day of a long journey as we combine our two companies. For now, we remain separate, and there is no change to your SPG program status, your Starpoints® or your existing reservations. You will continue to earn Starpoints and elite stay/night credit for your stays, as well as bonus Starpoints for any promotions in which you are participating. There is no change to how you manage your SPG account or book reservations.

Over the coming months, as we have more to share, we'll be sure to reach out to you by email, at spg.com and via twitter (@spg). In the meantime, we remain at your service wherever you need us — whether in our hotels, atspg.com, on the SPG mobile app or via our Customer Contact Centers.

Thank you for sharing your travels with us.

I didn't get anything from Marriott even though I am also a Marriott Rewards member.

Thanks !!

Also given the size of the company it would create it is expected that it will be examined by regulators for anti-trust issues. It's likely to take some time to complete. Also S&D is owned by a private company, depending on their contract who knows if they will remain with the brand.

Here's a statement provided by a spokesman for the hotel: "The Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Resort continues to operate under Starwood Hotels & Resorts as the many details of this merger with Marriott International are worked out before the deal closes sometime in mid-2016. The hotel will remain the Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Resort, and the current ownership of the hotel will remain the same."

Unfortunately, I don't see how this works out in favor of those of us who collect SPG points. Look at the recent devaluations that the Marriott Rewards program has been through and expect the same. Earn and burn before the points are worth less!

Question about parking and resort fees:
I booked for next week (Dolphin) but seeing a lot of negative reviews about the construction, resort fees and parking.

What should I expect? Is the resort fees required? If yes, is it per day. Per person? Per day+person?
Can you use the pools without paying it?
I read construction is noisy and there are power outages?
Parking prices?

I booked for next week (Dolphin) but seeing a lot of negative reviews about the construction, resort fees and parking.

What should I expect? Is the resort fees required? If yes, is it per day. Per person? Per day+person?

Per day.

You can't stay there without paying it.

That I don't know about.

Parking prices?

From post #1 of this thread.

I heard there's a charge to park at the resort -- is this true?

Yes, the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin resorts charge for self-parking as well as valet parking. Self-parking rate is $18 per day and Valet is $26 per day, both + tax.

Parking prices?

You could look into switching to the Swan. All the rooms were just refurbished and the construction there is over I believe. I don't understand people who leave negative reviews about the parking fee and the resort fee. These are clearly disclosed when you make your reservation and should be factored in when choosing which resort to stay at. Anyone who is surprised by these fees just hasn't done their research. As for the construction at the Dolphin, most resorts keep that to daytime hours. If you'll be in the parks all day then why worry about it but if you have little ones and will be back for nap time, it would be a concern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter