Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I find myself questioning why I would keep these two cards (spg business and personal)...well it was great while it lasted.
Yup. SPG Amex rocked for so many years. With the 33% across-the-board devaluation on earning PLUS the 39% devaluation on SD redemptions, there are many other cards that are more attractive.

It's not only the SPG Amex cards that are less desirable; perks for elite members have also been devalued.

When recently checking in at the Swan, I was reminded that as a Gold member, my account would be credited with 500 points. Apparently, my comment about the 500 points being worth about 1/3 of what it used to be, prior to the merger, was a comment frequently heard from other Gold members.

It's not only the SPG Amex cards that are less desirable; perks for elite members have also been devalued.

When recently checking in at the Swan, I was reminded that as a Gold member, my account would be credited with 500 points. Apparently, my comment about the 500 points being worth about 1/3 of what it used to be, prior to the merger, was a comment frequently heard from other Gold members.

Give me drink coupons any day of the week over points.

For years SPG had one of the best, if not the best, loyalty programs out there. The takeover by Marriott has proven to be what many said it would be, there was hope that Marriott would learn from SPG but they didn't. The offer to give 500 points in exchange for skipping house keeping was a joke and an insult. Yes please give me $3.50 back... NOT. I ditched my Amex years ago, since we took a break Disney and since I know how bad they screw businesses for taking their card. Every since Costco told them to take a hike they woke up and have been trying to get back on the business good side. Between Amex's rates and the Marriott benefits its harder to justify a stay at the Swan on points, I really hope that the owners of S/D work on Marriott, but for all I know they are the ones that wanted the higher classification.

Good wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving to all those visiting this S/D thread today and in the coming days, and really, to everybody. We have much to be thankful for.

Thanksgiving-at-Disney-720x340_zpsitmlbrut.jpg

I find myself questioning why I would keep these two cards (spg business and personal)...well it was great while it lasted.
The reasons we kept the basic Starwood card after the August 1 changes is because we’ve had it since 2000, and I (wrongly) thought having the $95 fee billed after August 1 would net us the free night 11 months sooner. Since we already paid one $95 fee, we might as well pay one more fee in 2019 to break even on the free night certificate.

Has anyone stayed here for a race weekend before? Debating on staying at Swan for Princess Marathon weekend because it’s most affordable option close to the race. Just wanted to see others’ experiences with buses to races to make sure the transportation was reliable to the races since it’s an earlier start...

Also if I do book paying cash (points are too high now), is it better to use my SPG Amex or my Marriott Rewards Visa?

Hi guys! Coming back to the Swan & Dolphin next November for DS’s very first Disney trip!!! So excited.

I have been looking on the website at rates and reservations and the rates seem to be all over the place. Where is the best place to book through. We’re trying to keep it reasonable and stay on budget.

Thanks and I look forward to chatting with you all during the planning process!

Trying to help out with a room recommendation:
If you want something at the Dolphin, close to the pools, close to Picabu, and close to the bus stop, we just stayed in 1169, and we loved it. The bathroom situation is a little tight, but perhaps it's the same in all of the Dolphin rooms. At Swan, the bathroom was much more spacious - two sinks - ine INSIDE the bathroom, one outside. In 1169 at Dolphin, there was only one sink area, outside of the bathroom. The bathroom only had a toilet and a shower stall, and it was pretty tight, but OK.

So, this room was down a short hallway between Picabu and the fitness room. We had a sliding door that opened to a table and chairs that was a few steps from the walkway between the pond with the swan boats, and the hotel. So, we faced the Swan boats, and could walk right out of the room to the walkway to the pool, but also, there was a short path right next to the basketball court that led right up to the bus stop. So if we were hitting the pool, we could just step outside of the sliding door, but if we were hitting the bust stop, we could walk down the hallway, and exit the door next to the fitness room. I'd say there were probably about 10 rooms down this hallway. I think someone posted a pic in this thread, in a very nearby room. I will as well a lil later.

This is the view. Highly recommend. The concierge steered us right. "Close to everything, and you'll have an outside walkway to the buses, or the escalator to the buses is a short walk away."

swanpatioview_zpspjnsf13o.jpg

Has anyone stayed here for a race weekend before? Debating on staying at Swan for Princess Marathon weekend because it’s most affordable option close to the race. Just wanted to see others’ experiences with buses to races to make sure the transportation was reliable to the races since it’s an earlier start...

I happened to stay there over the Star Wars race weekend last year and am planning to this year as well. I was not a runner last year (will be this year - actually probably more accurately a walker, haha) but chatted with people who were very happy with the bus service to expo and race. Believe runners even got a little gift bag at check in with some protein bars and other little freebies.

S/D uses the same Disney Transportation system as other Disney owned hotels. We've always thought the bus service from/to S/D was very good. Its usually (not sure always) shared with Boardwalk but even then we never had an issue. The plus side of a Convention Hotel is the conventioneers are mostly staying at the hotel and not hitting the parks during the day, but at night to do go to Disney Springs (in larger numbers).

Also if I do book paying cash (points are too high now), is it better to use my SPG Amex or my Marriott Rewards Visa?
Both the Visa and Amex cards gives you "6 points for every $1 spent at participating Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels" If my math is correct at a conversion rate of 50,000 = $300 you'd earn about $11/night. But of course check the interest rate if you are going to float it at all.

I have been looking on the website at rates and reservations and the rates seem to be all over the place. Where is the best place to book through. We’re trying to keep it reasonable and stay on budget.
Since November just opened up I haven't seen any deals. I think your best place to book is either the S/D website or Marriott.com they will guarantee the lowest booking price, except from places like Priceline and Hotwire or sites like Costco that bundle.

Has there been any update that the boats to Epcot and HS will for sure be shut down next week?
S/D did update their statement after a lot of questions rose up, https://www.swandolphin.com/aboutus/transportation.html
As Disney Skyliner construction continues near International Gateway at Epcot in the coming months, International Gateway will remain open to Guests traveling along the connected pedestrian walkway.

During construction, Friendship Boat service will remain available to the resort hotels around Crescent Lake as well as Disney's Hollywood Studios. While Friendship Boat service to Epcot is expected to be unavailable from late November until mid-December, Guests will be able to use bus service or the walkway to access Epcot.

Has anyone managed to figure out what the peak/off peak dates for Marriott points are going to be for swan/dolphin next year?

Has anyone managed to figure out what the peak/off peak dates for Marriott points are going to be for swan/dolphin next year?
I did some looking a while ago, found one date that points were 43,000/night but almost every other time I checked it was 50,000 per night.

We're looking to go February 2020 and honestly I'm strongly considering staying at a Moderate, buying some DVC points or staying at the SpringHill Suites Orlando at Flamingo Crossings as my points go a long way there. I'll wait to see once the booking window opens up, I'd love to stay at the Swan again, but as were looking at a possible 4 or 7 nights I'm not sure I'm willing to pay rack rate or 50,000 points per night.

I did some looking a while ago, found one date that points were 43,000/night but almost every other time I checked it was 50,000 per night.

We're looking to go February 2020 and honestly I'm strongly considering staying at a Moderate, buying some DVC points or staying at the SpringHill Suites Orlando at Flamingo Crossings as my points go a long way there. I'll wait to see once the booking window opens up, I'd love to stay at the Swan again, but as were looking at a possible 4 or 7 nights I'm not sure I'm willing to pay rack rate or 50,000 points per night.
We're looking at a Feb 2020 trip too.

Is this really true about the boats next week?

Seems we have the worst timing. Experienced this is May too I think and it's a real pain, especially when you are using a wheelchair. The bus takes you to the front o f Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter