Walt Disney World Skyliner Gondola cabin video, photos, info.

From what I’ve read over the last 18 months, these types of gondola systems are very reliable and stops are pretty unusual.
Some of the runs in other places are many miles, high over mountains. Most of the WDW runs are going to be pretty short and fairly close to the ground.

From what I can find out, the ECV and wheelchair users would be ‘pulled out’ at the loading station to get into a gondola that would be pulled out of the line for stationary loading. So, the people getting into that gondola would be with the ECV user.
It appears the seats where the ECV would be parked would fold up; that is similar to the boats that go between OKW, SSR, PO and Disney Springs. There is still leg room.

That makes more sense, just limits the capacity from the start though. I just think Disney did not do a lot of follow through with their thought process on these things.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the Rumors&News thread and this is my understanding as well. The benches on each side can fold to accommodate ECVs, wheelchairs and strollers. Presumably the device on 1 side with the bench folded and others in the party on the other side with the bench down. If a party has multiple mobility devices or strollers, I think it is likely they may need to split. That may depend on how many total in the party - I believe the gondola cars are intended for a max 8 passengers, and probably fewer with a mobility device.

That's going to be a pain in the butt to maneuver though, considering the small space. How the heck will newbies be able to get an ECV over to the side when they can't even get it on a bus? maybe they should have a practice car and people have to demonstrate they can get on and off with their vehicle?

stop will be very unlikely from what I hear they have back up generators that will kick in with in a minute or so and if they fail there is a back up to them

There are other reasons why the system would stop besides a power issue though. So they can have generators hanging out their yahoos and it wouldn't help if there was a situation at the terminal.

From what I’ve read over the last 18 months, these types of gondola systems are very reliable and stops are pretty unusual.
Some of the runs in other places are many miles, high over mountains. Most of the WDW runs are going to be pretty short and fairly close to the ground.

But do those places handle half as much traffic as WDW does? And high over the mountains means cool air - low to the ground means hot humid Florida air. One issue at the central terminal could cause the whole system to halt. I wouldn't want to be stuck in one of those things for a half hour while they take care of an issue at the loading dock.

That's going to be a pain in the butt to maneuver though, considering the small space. How the heck will newbies be able to get an ECV over to the side when they can't even get it on a bus? maybe they should have a practice car and people have to demonstrate they can get on and off with their vehicle?

I don’t think it’s any narrower than getting on a monorail, though admittedly I don’t have measurements to compare specifically. No ramp, and it is expected to be pulled to a side track so it can stop for loading mobility devices.

I don’t think it’s any narrower than getting on a monorail, though admittedly I don’t have measurements to compare specifically. No ramp, and it is expected to be pulled to a side track so it can stop for loading mobility devices.
The door size does look similar to the monorail.
Some of the buses have narrower doors and ramps than others. I think some may be closer to 30 inches than to 32.

Well, as long as they learn how to slow the thing down - the swingback on the video is not good. Not sure if the added weight of passengers would make it better or worse.

And yes, I know I sound like a Debbie Downer - just not impressed at all with this choice Disney made - it's ugly, small, and not well thought out IMO.
Should have air conditioning, and be a lot bigger if they have ECVs on them. I might try them once for the novelty, but I'll be driving to the parks for the most part if they get rid of the bus service.

Well, as long as they learn how to slow the thing down - the swingback on the video is not good. Not sure if the added weight of passengers would make it better or worse.

And yes, I know I sound like a Debbie Downer - just not impressed at all with this choice Disney made - it's ugly, small, and not well thought out IMO.
Should have air conditioning, and be a lot bigger if they have ECVs on them. I might try them once for the novelty, but I'll be driving to the parks for the most part if they get rid of the bus service.

I'm with you all the way on this... I hate to be "that person" but I can't imagine that this will work smoothly for (newbie) ECV users. And while I realize that the *idea* is that the because they are always moving, there will be a "cooling breeze", my experience with 95 degree days and 90% humidity tells me that there aint' gonna be nothing "cool" about that gondola.

It's my understanding that this is just another part of the transportation system to help with increasing capacity; there will still be bus service at those Resorts (just like Poly/GF/CR all still have bus service even though they are on the Monorail, but it's often shared).

That makes more sense, just limits the capacity from the start though. I just think Disney did not do a lot of follow through with their thought procand pltess on these things.
I think/expect they did a LOT of research and planning before investing tens of millions of dollars into it.
Same way they get off the monorail at the resorts - back out.
There are other reasons why the system would stop besides a power issue though. So they can have generators hanging out their yahoos and it wouldn't help if there was a situation at the terminal.
If, if, if. If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a trolley car.
Well, as long as they learn how to slow the thing down - the swingback on the video is not good.
You're right. Passengers will provide ballast.
Should have air conditioning,
Too expensive, too heavy, and not needed.

I'm with you all the way on this... I hate to be "that person" but I can't imagine that this will work smoothly for (newbie) ECV users. And while I realize that the *idea* is that the because they are always moving, there will be a "cooling breeze", my experience with 95 degree days and 90% humidity tells me that there aint' gonna be nothing "cool" about that gondola.

It's my understanding that this is just another part of the transportation system to help with increasing capacity; there will still be bus service at those Resorts (just like Poly/GF/CR all still have bus service even though they are on the Monorail, but it's often shared).
Don't bank on that. Monorail resorts actually do not have bus service to MK or Epcot because of the monorail. I think speculation right now is the gondola resorts may have limited bus service to EPCOT and DHS at first, but the gondola system is going to cover most, if not all, of the traffic.

Disney would not be investing this kind of money into a transportation system if they aren't going to to cut transportation costs elsewhere, ie. the bus fleet.

I think/expect they did a LOT of research and planning before investing tens of millions of dollars into it.

Same way they get off the monorail at the resorts - back out.

If, if, if. If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a trolley car.

You're right. Passengers will provide ballast.

Too expensive, too heavy, and not needed.

Yeah, research and planning, just like they did with the Yeti, right? And a boat ride in Pandora that can't take a wheelchair, a huge attraction (FOP) that a lot of people can't even ride as they made the seating too restrictive, etc. Still not impressed with Disney's "planning and research".

I hope the gondola seats aren't padded - they are going to get ripped to shreds when people have to maneuver not just in straight, but at an angle to get over to the side with the lifted seats, and then back out again. Just PPP, IMO. Why not just have gondolas big enough to fit an ECV and passengers without having to go over to one side? And how is that going to affect the gondola when it comes in - one side is going to be heavier than the other, potentially, and have quite a swing when it hits the brakes. People mention how this system is used to go up mountains - how many ECV users go up mountains?

Unbalanced ballast causes big problems.

I just got back from Florida in February - 85'F, and incredibly humid. Riding in a car with the windows down, and it was uncomfortable, especially when we stopped. August? These things are pretty low to the ground, right? That's what SueM stated. So, the air is not going to be cool at all, even with completely open sides. I rode the MK gondolas, and they were miserable in the summer.

And someone pointed out that I stated "if". Okay, when there is an issue at one of the loading platforms, the system will have to stop to deal with it. When someone falls, when someone passes out from the heat, when someone can't get off fast enough, when someone freaks about getting on, when someone has a medical emergency... need more?

And someone pointed out that I stated "if". Okay, when there is an issue at one of the loading platforms, the system will have to stop to deal with it. When someone falls, when someone passes out from the heat, when someone can't get off fast enough, when someone freaks about getting on, when someone has a medical emergency... need more?

for most of your what if there are two loads unload area in each station the front of the station where most guest will get on and off and back where guests that need more time will get on and off. I have read they can load 10 cars at a time and unload 10 cars at a time ( this does not count the back in witch my guess is 10 each too) I just can not see it stopping and if the line does ( more likely power outage then they have back up generators.

since you are so concerned I would not stay at a Skyliner resort until you are sure there will be bus service or just pay to go to the park, I am not and I have a number of medical problems the heat make worst.

These systems are marketed as urban transit solutions that can accommodate wheelchairs and strollers. The cabins have a 35" 32.28" door opening and fold-up seats. I can't see any reason that a power chair or scooter would be a problem, as long as it can fit thru the door.

Extensive discussion of the Skyliner is here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...tem-read-post-1-updated-2-8-19.3578988/unread

I just found out that this is the previous model cabin, so the door opening is 32.28", not 35" as I had said earlier.

Minimum width for ADA compliance is 32".

That won't happen. The gondola stations have two loading areas. Most people will enter/exit the gondolas as they slowly move through the station. But, folks like you (in a wheelchair) will use the secondary loading area. There, the gondolas will be completely stopped.

It's tough to see, but check out the second video you posted right around the 0:52 second point. To the left of the moving gondola, you can see a stationary one. That's the secondary loading area. The way the system is set up, once you and your party are safely tucked inside, your gondola will be moved onto the moving line for your journey to the next station.

The set-up is similar to how Toy Story Mania works at Disney's Hollywood Studios. When necessary, Cast Members can flip the track so that guests in wheelchairs can enter/exit the ride vehicles. Once ready, they send those vehicles onto the regular track for the ride.

Personally, I think that they'll raise the price of Skyliner resorts before they cut spending on buses. Well, maybe they'll do a little of both, but I don't see them cutting the buses TOO deeply. As it is now, the bus system between those resorts and parks seems overcrowded to the point of unsustainability, and that's before all the remaining planned additions to DHS and EPCOT by 2021.
I want to ride the Skyliner because it's cool and I miss the Skyway, but a less crowded bus experience from POP sounds pretty sweet, too. I don't know, I'm not always the best at guessing how they think!

View attachment 384428 View attachment 384429 These pictures are screenshots from one of the videos on the 2017 post.
They are a larger size gondola that can hold more passengers than the ones WDW apparently ordered, but from the same company.
These pictures show the level loading.

Articles and posts on the Transportation Board have indicated WDW will have a secondary track, similar to the accessible boarding area at Toy Story.

But some people have manual chairs with TINY (3-4 inch) caster wheels in the front that can easily get stuck.

But some people have manual chairs with TINY (3-4 inch) caster wheels in the front that can easily get stuck.

Hi, Groot. I don't understand your statement about a wheelchair front caster wheels getting stuck. Do you mean entering or turning or exiting the gondola?

Just my opinion, but I believe the entrance will be level requiring no ramp like the monorails or buses or some boats.

And I believe the gondola will be pulled to the second loading area which will stop and is located behind the main loading area to allow guests to load and unload strollers, wheelchairs and mobility scooter.

Whereas the main gondola loading area will slowly move on their track so other guests can walk on.

Then the gondola with the strollers or wheelchair or mobility scooters will be moved on the main gondola cable line to continue on to their destination.

I believe from the descriptions, if the two seats are not folded up, I can only back up and not turn around inside the gondola. But that is okay with me because I can back up like on some of the WDW attraction rides or some monorail stations.

If both benches are left down, then I can pull all of the way up to the other side of the gondola. Guests can sit in whatever space behind my wheelchair.

I believe the gondola benches are a little over seven feet long and could fit up to four guests on each side even though I hear that WDW might consider three adults on each side. With those dimensions, maybe one guest could sit behind the wheelchair on each side. But I am just guessing.

It will be interesting what the policy will be with the benches and why they would lift them up. Maybe they may think that the stroller or wheelchair or mobility scooter could pull toward the raised bench side to create more room for the other bench.

When I use the WDW boats that go from WDW MK to Fort Wilderness Campground, the entrance to those boats are very doable after several experiences. Sometime the lake is lower or higher. And the lip of the boat entrance curves up making is a somewhat uneven entrance and after entering I have to turn right or left in a narrow space. Sometimes I have to back up and make two 90-degree turns to exit always with the direction of the boa's cast member.

I assume either way that I would be driving straight ahead onto the gondola and not turn my position facing the other guests on the other bench.

But this is just my opinion and I am just surmising what may happen.

Last edited:
It probably will be like the gap of getting on and off an elevator

Hi, gap2368. From the first video, I agree.

I tried to figure out to take a still photo from the first video of what the WDW gondola would look like of the floor and benches, etc., but I didn't know how.

Hi, gap2368. From the first video, I agree.

I tried to figure out to take a still photo from the first video of what the WDW gondola would look like of the floor and benches, etc., but I didn't know how.
we will not know for sure until the sky liner is open. but it will be accessible so the gap if one will not be that big

03/06/2019-I wonder if the WDW Skyliner Gondolas will have windows like these? I see slits areas for spaces for windows in the photo. I didn't realize these might be windows. BlogMickey photos show similar gondolas with the windows on both sides, the two benches and one photo with one bench folded up. Some of the photos appear from WDW that are yellow gondolas and some of the photos from a convention setting shows the same type gondola that orange in color. It looks very interesting to me.

ky3qHJWs7zHV_W8X4F_h3lRBcQjk4IKXHQ4sysGtYC-ETV7qBmpWpubaPyaGjFKVxu-Nq9-dTO7T_7swPM-iQjyAT8Te7kU37ajhRWDKfGI-iDNI7xd_RXAKgW85rv6PbTGl3SC6I2MqSLhC40PHsdvyqZ6FU4jHnAq65kdJBk-OUYYNNmwClpCLJp5g2P_844plq59gUbPiDHPSrBBxwQaTcVPgrGM2o4yBCtAqR_SrYKib6xjY4Nr0mMhzPTlq6AXu751XCyu3DLL9-eZrqExctv5xrV4dTzaLXt9zlfuzLR1RFvN1rl83aorCy0GftWaj4CU1gNslkW7Av9ow_8N62NYLLFHuSDwFqf_v4Kwpx27NFxQEWzaondc7Mk_jJm9_5lO4QG78MK4DtRP-q0KBs6fS0uAnctjY5Bn3e96ThCJFUhCX48pW-T_p3PiIls4G46C_nwORv8Klo95byvc-oviPvPbXJ6UqwUffX-22mC2a6I30XbSRTtDfjgz9sCtoRIMUHWzpaM-1H2kYx2NQgyCIwz-J6MF7nWpbqu2jcJ8mY-d9GNCr3-MIP7jzICiBbw6PQwyofTfCUtCHvDsaq6xUKUNF0WJL5v-t3tujzWth_c3FNTd5VT2z_zyLXbp0Q95WKp6USWmR4Y7F5XobDk8hOUE=w1024-h576-no

lWMMHGaAbpGlsucvnt-voospItQeZmc9qJM6p2utixKlizPwfqZYJNahxGW-M4LUXHg4BuXhZQNU4qQSu8P7k4aAO5HC9dwy0_-w4N-3mANwgbWIUmpqG6osFTNUI4GVn3IH5SiEDxViCT5ge5DTIuAtLn5_EaXojWPdgUsGG2jhcDFbCx_bgBUVB5qrquWhITYsYRxG5mqqvwcWq9WcC2mLVPfKAtLp6aPKRF9b-kqgTDcFaaKfvahbcbT9QwuALNPsdB26sXXWdr0QazqGLO8fNIPIR8vpPV-ZW_LJzapQmmU-LBPemQ_LeRDLSAhIShLlAzlygOZ2rU2ey13ohw0FBw-2u9JWPcekEOWyRX4hyrBs5WLK9C7ygbMq1_F3q2ZccWRMhz5cVriuECHQwgHtHFvnpdAz6M9-OCKtlYTtabVohQ0GYpEqTxRhs4HM1CsDiGzgyDNmZsFm7GCHndByASwLayS4WUrKzE2Ve7B4Me8qf5rCrgPrbX58EyheW8EJsPGHaVbIfTxuQpmo3V9P7eFi92JuOGCSTdQvR2dvEhqQm6XTQAgHp7AEkaZf5izVwisOkx423XkCQd4hvPET3BMMHBI_I-30yPfNeWqLUDNIJcNU8F3zYAbp9AqbsnBKSOf7t9vwdAtcuPZLra7qHAxnmDo=w1086-h724-no

53j365kYkZCWD3Q8QUoJohBdTP7vrjR3CSSwGa6ITdvMfZE4oqcwQeRHn1vaNejdba-WCIUO4xrlZD3KtJwQ-7Npo24veK_zoDCCGbF2-bepQTfDT4w-6tQw5EalfXNZ_VZB6zYX018msD6CgPePx1genLk6TlboJTEfuvguwtBAiyRa7V8K7L9rwIpCqMp9Az6j0txvEiYRWwG6vfjusYPernTTfyEIQgrgNIEdR4mTm01iBmZantdC2XKfqo5adx74bnladR0nIhXqXhTUxkDvBz_sGJvBGfsZmhlG40wbDYcCkIbbK8B3YzffWyysnR4X3mB6Keg5rYQ3MXcEctwyXY7qtwwwwybGaIYfQbl_jOH1GOu6mCdybPSZTVRRiBwEP8nmEcKKC-4CmmKxRTNN8REOpqkW-FUulhCpNgrd-TLYZIfOWk8E3fDW6wIObU29IPXogkLFlZLrqOn5G8sVg2qFjlS_UxylPdUk_ZsavkpuYEjMALU9Xy-xYRVEfLOQOqRqqOAwvyXrn-eN83NtOYyDlov6zN5MmVTArcnDNHoiMShjCR15XVfnIgOJ1LtO0g5FPxMzAIRoytGF5RhgW-WTUGfD4D4x1CA9Y1ruouD729C6Q59mXyd1sDLWP_qRO92SAMPf8zgwERFu6wXD1wEuA8s=w1086-h724-no

pJU_phpebsd24ZmZHUpjXqBuI5_3MgGceF-_VMx26ELGZT-H2jp9E_tGWQc0DZoZniR-VHsahj7fQAkQaE5dHVSQlN_7deGA9UjkESqzB9hKVaxAK4DdOWZlCEDtqY9ovX56tOWxLC-gGuyOhRFmbn-ovZ4-bmcBfZ0WPiBqTIwEdS6Os9H2E4g6KKEtru78psnDTRonk04ujAju5gj49f5O4NCMIaKEA9gqhzKeXm27Z-X3UQwI1bc7P9vJriuKRw73IYzORknLjZNodqbn1Uw35Nkgoaso4ZS3Cq1tzrv2NU4VvsJy3ZJpmwnFZ2Xi6KjqZRmr_rUE24dZf6pEs8IcbaJEWdk0ltHTM_GvOqWzxwB-qqihieAXfNl2E5PCoZPnrLS9JlvFdNDpuKLi-M9Ku52H9lOEsKWf2aio4Cq-Q8VNLrDc3nyCJCcV356o0GclYBEu3yUogwgvlN_8BRk3B_f-NVMMjdU3_z4zYDggn5l9WAbIDFeuO6RCAjgYRSU-ru43poCcYsogUI_P-2ARksRTTxBehlpQ8A_hXOJgsUeJMCTx4PW_bHdLtuTJ5IgJ5Q1wXpeQM4LgWoxQnYjHYHSQhUakskxbqKp63_J94P-bUyyoIqK_eGP9RZVuDezhaYus8z_4xSBgiv90hgmjMqDXPCA=w1086-h724-no

snloYe9Bxu0Ef76t08OVJVxqK8q0x5sYrgno5bcRXjl97mp19pZopyoAx5buVAG-4opOtcOc8Cl6BS8ztcx8tMroGVxNYW3Bgi_M8qhzYUxiyqaPhcDqPqRTYdI65igbLeTtdW42i3BU6Jc47ecizefqk2m93gKAo3xbPxrfz2jBTnjukq2vOc6O4YaqOqmOr8RWNbsyeLk2VscCryIag3kc1mby5hIf2Z7jeJ_y_a03cbmO8M9o8PCAmJnUsvKe9uQBO9tMxJemql_JrgxkiJim4NUQgnm4oWfCQMk6lo1TN3uZ9A2kIguAWn-_BCAF5Ak9tUkukAfNLyoHAJL7xxhQEPJ7X5e9Rrhcz8UIEGLMHCWybBS0sElJfhL7Nb3YTWp8nsDXOGOuAaJY4uSROzAMqbqldDCJuWfgW9WjJp8NkmaDz3AgB8Hyft0M7MXwxwAHAdbRjS8Voa3395PcXbERZXNwAI4KiCGzhLS7xXnj68gff4t9axBS6_Ff8cc8Udkrd3W5oL-HaDtkCOQqx4D35Dg1_dSd9JG4KnbFwrnrHAUiwJRyp_m4vPgaajuSmyBrYguPp2oxPfrcVHHNh7TMurCguaOI34akrl55cQYIJ-kZBReVUdCLrkK5DFwEzATyIDh5GlWRqRBQoAnG_8lgpBwBAh4=w1086-h724-no

AfQjDl8vuFM0I-e2bjnvqWN7udBNTW3HdAK4W5d3Hrq-7-PdZniq0bNS8iPAV0iLx8rlIu6HFpv13kaI0U454P1IuLIGoEn3EfFv-Lt-AHXkRW85GqZXb51M2RVon-UROTQvrTE-gEC5rT-IfI54EZnYfJSoE3P2kCIPAggW3ehWc3a2p1e8kXfQeQuUsey-0Z878EUyD-77v0jLwySO19T8exs-LoUWNcEXPyUNSqjn8iHLidU9LXqDct_fykZAxgWBY2mYIJvAxxNL1_foURhWA1rLAb4ghZpkdEhqQuH3dBM8O6_--SoOlJbgKqvSeDbDeDTbwql0wr-UwiX1ur9VGn9q0E3De6AqIWujpd58kEViDD0zJ_NUKWsmLoknSNv8hJi_aWucx76NTzBK3_2NT1R_e_hOkLY8AUM3J3qbD3FrWDdpHksWnrR0krVDtWQh0QVWNZYyCZAdFWdjhfqrmdT5lRjX7VjbNwbamCko-uuv0qs-gQCdNFzSULG7ui3flIhjbGS5fUm9eaoXQJjvhH2lIqRhu3Xy1kq39pxwNth_FjhljBKNNpvTXrRrX0a4QS12Q9ETKets3VybDcdH4C78ZnZmbAHGgbDSPaO0IIFV7TdKijVhRtwu1ORtAmiD3qoHuGdiTZcpHDh4QlfJZwfPs30=w1086-h724-no

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter