Walt Disney World is pausing new sales of some of its annual passes.

On one hand, I get it... they don't want to sell APs only to have no park reservations available, leading to people complaining and wondering (rightfully so) what exactly they paid for. But on the other hand, it's kind of ridiculous they are struggling so much with the AP thing. They've been available for what, 2 months? after a 16 month absence, and now gone again. It's being made clear Disney just wants us to buy full price tickets as we go along.

How was this never an issue before, but is now? The parks are crowded, but they were before COVID. AFAIK, APs were always available for sale pre-2020.

On one hand, I get it... they don't want to sell APs only to have no park reservations available, leading to people complaining and wondering (rightfully so) what exactly they paid for. But on the other hand, it's kind of ridiculous they are struggling so much with the AP thing. They've been available for what, 2 months? after a 16 month absence, and now gone again. It's being made clear Disney just wants us to buy full price tickets as we go along.

How was this never an issue before, but is now? The parks are crowded, but they were before COVID. AFAIK, APs were always available for sale pre-2020.
Before COVID there weren't park reservations. I'm guessing this is the crux of the problem -- there is only so much availability at each park based on how they can staff them for the time being. Unfortunately, they are still working on bringing people back to return to a closer normal. It's just not happening as fast as we would like -- and that is a problem everywhere. All businesses are struggling with hiring employees back to pre-COVID levels. My guess is that until they get more employees to operate everything to the fullest extent, they can't fill the parks like they used to.

This thread has been cleaned up and is open again.

Posts and posters are expected to comply with these guidelines at all times.

You may disagree with a poster’s viewpoint, and discuss the issue, but no name calling, being sarcastic or personal attacks.

It is often good advice if you see a thread or post which your are unhappy with to walk away and give yourself a time out. Alternatively use the report post button which will alert all the moderators and the webmasters to any post, where appropriate action if necessary will be taken. If you add a comment yourself, you may also face infractions as per the guidelines.

I jumped on getting AP's as soon as they went on sale this year. Last year I had to purchase separate tickets for each of my trips, which cost me way more than the most expensive AP cost for those individual tickets. I didn't want to risk not having an AP for this year so I jumped on that AP right away, and I'm so thankful I did. I am going on a trip in 6 days and then have 2 additional trips planned for the upcoming year using the same AP. If I didn't have an AP, I'd be canceling my 2 future trips because there is no way I'm buying passes for separate trips in a year. Did that once, won't do that again!

It’s because they are out of park passes for those passes for the rest of this year
There are a lot of people complaining that they “purchased expensive passes so they could travel during the holidays and there aren’t any reservations at MK or DHS, and blah, blah, blah.” They don’t have enough supply to accommodate the demand. Seems reasonable to pause the sale until after the holidays.

There are a lot of people complaining that they “purchased expensive passes so they could travel during the holidays and there aren’t any reservations at MK or DHS, and blah, blah, blah.” They don’t have enough supply to accommodate the demand. Seems reasonable to pause the sale until after the holidays.
This may not be popular, but it costs a small fortune to go to Disney at the holidays. I have never checked AP blackout dates but honestly think they should black out major holiday weekends and the last two days of Dec. That’s not an us vs them thing, just a fair way to manage the most high demand days now that park access is limited

This may not be popular, but it costs a small fortune to go to Disney at the holidays. I have never checked AP blackout dates but honestly think they should black out major holiday weekends and the last two days of Dec. That’s not an us vs them thing, just a fair way to manage the most high demand days now that park access is limited
In the old pre pandemic system I don’t know the blackout calendars for lower tiers like weekday or resident select but silver & gold were blocked out two weeks at Christmas as well as two weeks at easter with silver also being blocked most of summer

present tiers are blocked out Christmas & Easter again for all passes aside from the out of state/no block out incredi-pass pirate and pixie dust are also blocked thanksgiving week, the week of local spring break, holidays

In the old pre pandemic system I don’t know the blackout calendars for lower tiers like weekday or resident select but silver & gold were blocked out two weeks at Christmas as well as two weeks at easter with silver also being blocked most of summer

present tiers are blocked out Christmas & Easter again for all passes aside from the out of state/no block out incredi-pass pirate and pixie dust are also blocked thanksgiving week, the week of local spring break, holidays
I didn’t know that. Thanks!

I have no faith in this being anything other than another cash grab. I would think Disney hates AP holders Depending on how much you use it the price of the actually going to parks will be very low compared to others.

Hopefully im wrong but i see this going one way

Huge increase in pricing.

The hits just keep coming dont they.

Last edited:
Yet they are still selling regular park tickets. But I guess if you can't get a reservation no park for you. It does end spontaneity for any one.

This is just another thing to give me reasons to end my Disney ap. Yes I can still renew but why should I?

Last edited:
Before COVID there weren't park reservations. I'm guessing this is the crux of the problem -- there is only so much availability at each park based on how they can staff them for the time being. Unfortunately, they are still working on bringing people back to return to a closer normal. It's just not happening as fast as we would like -- and that is a problem everywhere. All businesses are struggling with hiring employees back to pre-COVID levels. My guess is that until they get more employees to operate everything to the fullest extent, they can't fill the parks like they used to.

ALL OF THIS. ⬆⬆

And according to Visit Orlando tourism has returned to post-pandemic levels in Orlando, in fact, was UP 33% last quarter over 2019, and that happened without the majority of Europeans or Brazilians who are typically visiting during that time. Meanwhile, Orlando, in general, is still suffering from a shortage of workers willing to work for the wages being offered, or who moved on and now work in different fields. People who've never considered vacationing in Orlando are now vacationing in Orlando, so the demand has far surpassed the supply. Capacity is limited because staffing is limited.

Boy am I glad I grabbed an IncrediPass back in September. I was contemplating it, but figured since I was going to be back for Marathon week that it would be worth the cost. Now that I just found out I will also be there in February and May for some work events, and will be nearby several times over the summer with a chance to make a quick trip over, it turns out that was definitely a great decision. With no AP being sold now, it would have cost me much much more for those visits over the next 9 months. More than likely I would have probably chosen to do something else like visit Universal.

I didn’t know that. Thanks!
Minor correction: The Sorcerer pass for DVC and FL residents is blocked out for Thanksgiving and Christmas, not for Easter. Caused some problems for people who bought Gold AP vouchers before the change, planning to activate them at Thanksgiving. Disney solved that by giving them hopper tickets for the blocked out days.

Y'all, I'm not trying to sound insensitive. But Disney warned all of us that sales of annual passes were not forever when they released them back in September. They told us that certain levels could sell out. Their exact statement said "some annual pass types may be unavailable for purchase at any time"

I understand that many are frustrated. But I don't think this one is any sort of money grab or a way for Disney to ruin your vacation. I think they were incredibly clear that it could be temporary, and they held to their word.

We were at the parks from 11/18-11/21. I upgraded my park hopper to an Incredi-pass on 11/21 in the afternoon. Sitting at the airport on Monday morning, I read they stopped selling the annual passes. Can't believe I got in just under the cut off.

Has anyone had any luck with getting a an AP for their kids who have aged into tickets?

they are probably trying to avoid Disneyland-type issues where they had numerous AP holders who couldn't get park reservations. WDW has also stopped selling regular tickets for the most desirous dates around Thanksgiving and Xmas/New Years. They don't "hate" AP holders any more than they hate persons who buy regular tickets. they just aren't going to have the parks slam full anymore. It's going to be a consideration for anyone planning a holiday trip who doesn't already have a pass.

The Pixie Dust pass is still available and that is blacked out for weekends and the entire holiday period.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you will still be able to exchange an AP Voucher?
Mine was purchased quite some time ago and due to the international travel ban, December 2021 will be my first opportunity to exchange it.
The voucher is all showing as present and correct in MDE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter