Walt Disney World & Beyond Discussion + What Disney Means To Us – Episode #3

I think synergy is best when a team is in the same brick and mortar room. So I don't view the current mode of operation a failure, but as a transition period moving forward with lessons learned.

I've been using the past couple of weeks to read feedback versus engagement, but I just want to clear some things up. I am going to be walking on a tightrope here as I don't want to insult either the audience or co-workers. We've recorded great things in the past that were done virtually that weren't awkward. We've done plenty that are awkward. We are getting very close to finding a studio and need some good luck on our side, but the problem doesn't lie solely in virtual presentations. I listen to lots of podcasts produced this way and some of the most downloaded podcasts in the world are produced without the hosts being in the same room.

The low energy is very prevalent. This past week in particular, most are pointing towards the low energy portion being the part where the entire group is literally allowed to speak about whatever they're passionate about involving Disney. The energy rose at the end, but the part of the show that most were complaining about wasn't the segment or the news. It was the part where the team can talk about anything they want.

I think the entire team needs to not only find their passion and let that come out, but I also think that the team needs to not focus on chat or the world around them for that one hour and be actively engaged listeners to what is being said because even if they aren't interested it still does a great deal in terms of the perception that the team wants to be there and cares about what the others have to say. I say this for myself too as I get distracted with running the show at times and look like I'm not as engaged as I need to be.

The final thing I'll say, I know the one downfall of virtual is the delay and that is a real problem at times. There is still nothing more that I hate than being met with awkward silence around topics because no one has any input, especially news. Right now, I feel like I'm failing either at figuring out what our team wants to discuss and/or what Disney fans want to hear our opinions on and what we should have opinions on. I thought something like park-hopping and price increases would go through the roof and I was wrong. I'm not doing a great job right now and I recognize that. I'm not asking for pity nor do I want to be told that I am doing great. I'm saying it because I am aware and want to make sure that it's known that I'm trying to make this better.
Craig, for the first half hour you were the bright spot, you were the only person showing any enthusiasm so don't beat yourself up. I felt really sorry for you that your colleagues weren't supporting you - that was the awkward bit, not you. John as your boss needs to support you rather than a flippant 'well you're running the show' (he threw you under the bus there) and the others need to smile at least and say something, anything. Just to help you out.

Thank you and apricated. My view is really that you know how to create good content, the team is passionate and knowledgeable of the subject matter BUT you really need professional help with how to market and present your content. I really think that the team would benefit from hiring a marketing consultant who specializes in YouTube and video marketing. This digital world we now live in changes very rapidly and I think investing in the team, continuous leaning and a refresh of up to date marketing and presentation skills would be hugely beneficial.
This brings up a whole different matter. We do need to do a better job at marketing and presenting content. However, our discussion podcasts aren't normal YouTube content, and too many times we get lumped in with other YouTubers like Mammoth Club, Paging Mr. Morrow, Tim Tracker, etc... Yes, they destroy us in views, but so much of what they do is different. When we had a larger staff we used to be able to make a lot more content like they do but we've always made our way back to podcasts or 'shows' and frankly I think a lot of our personalities are better suited not on podcasts and would be better as vlogs. I'm not saying that would get us the same views or following as the others I mentioned, but it could put us on a path to find more success versus ourselves in the present on YouTube. Then it neglects audio.

Our YouTube channel evolved out of finding a way for the podcast to expand to new audiences. It did just that and found a new audience and continues to find new viewers. Audio podcasts have also seen a boom since the pandemic and I think many underestimate how many listeners we have. Traditional vlogging and what is popular with a lot of YouTubers DOES NOT translate to audio podcasts, in my opinion, and unfortunately, audio podcasts don't always translate well to video. That's not to say they can't and I think we succeeded at it when our personalities and passion shine through - hence the massive growth from 2016-2020. If the people are entertaining and have something to say people will watch and the final product ends up feeling more like The View or a similar show and it can work.

During our two-month break, during which I didn't spend every day thinking about how we were going to revitalize a show that had no return date, I mentioned I didn't know if our Tuesday Show would come back for this very reason. Would it be better to make our podcasts that are better suited for that medium and completely change our YouTube strategy to feel more YouTube? We didn't go in that direction yet, but it is still on my mind daily.

Awkwardness aside, I feel like our podcasts still have a place, but I'm not sure of the longevity podcasts have as video shows in full length. There will always be a way for podcasts to reach a greater audience, but if we're being judged for it as 'YouTubers' then I think there will come a point where it has a negative impact. We're sticking with it for now, but there's no doubt that watching more fast-paced news uploaded in a timely manner or just entertaining in-park vlogs is a more successful track for YouTube. We're trying to balance both mediums which are very different. The path forward might be to make completely different content for both platforms and then find opportunities where moments from the podcast that's still being recorded as video could be posted to YouTube - similar to how Joe Rogan uploads clips.

We gained a lot of notoriety as a podcast in a time when there weren't a lot and we did the same on YouTube, but markets are oversaturated so we have to find the best way to stick out from the crowd and that's going to be an evolving process that isn't fixed overnight even if the problems are quick to be pointed out. There's no bandage fix for longevity.

Craig, for the first half hour you were the bright spot, you were the only person showing any enthusiasm so don't beat yourself up. I felt really sorry for you that your colleagues weren't supporting you - that was the awkward bit, not you. John as your boss needs to support you rather than a flippant 'well you're running the show' (he threw you under the bus there) and the others need to smile at least and say something, anything. Just to help you out.
I need to make it clear that John does support me and both John and Corey are putting trust in me to help this move forward. I didn't feel that comment from John was throwing me under the bus, but we both have very similar dry humor and to me, it felt like he was trying to ease the tension and get us all to laugh. But perception is in the eye of each person watching or listening. I've dealt with this every day of my life as a person with very specific humor that doesn't translate well to humanity.

I need to make it clear that John does support me and both John and Corey are putting trust in me to help this move forward. I didn't feel that comment from John was throwing me under the bus, but we both have very similar dry humor and to me, it felt like he was trying to ease the tension and get us all to laugh. But perception is in the eye of each person watching or listening. I've dealt with this every day of my life as a person with very specific humor that doesn't translate well to humanity.
I think you have a witty, sardonic take on the world, which I like very much. That dryness is very British in tone & you shouldn't change a bit.

I want to say that the latest Disney News has not really been helping as there isn't a lot happening at the moment (Mainly just discounts or price changes which is hard to have a lengthy discussion about). I enjoyed your tester episode about Destination D23 because you guys had a lot to talk about. Maybe once everyone gets a chance to experience Journey of Water,(that discussion could have gone a bit longer) and maybe we could have a discussion about the overall 100th anniversary celebrations of Disney worldwide (Comparing DLP's one-day celebration to Journey of Water at WDW to nothing on the day at Disneyland etc?) Also, once Epcot's construction finished, that'll be another big discussion where you can talk about the overall Epcot Transformation and was it worth the wait.
Maybe take some audience suggestions for Disney topics like your current rope drop suggestions; what's the one thing on property you haven't done on property that you wish you could; what's that one attraction you haven't done/done in a while and why are you avoiding it etc.

I wonder if having a small news section with the headlines could work, as I feel like you should be talking about big changes like price increases and discounts etc, but make sure you direct audience to where they can find a full breakdown. Then move over to the overall discussion for the podcast? Similar to how the Universal show would do sometimes when there was news?? Just a few thoughts

I don't post often on the boards anymore but I do keep up.
Craig, you and Ryno have evolved as extremely entertaining online. I used to immediately exit out of the food reviews from years past because they were awkward and insincere. Your opinions are much more honest now and greatly appreciated.
The two of you together are an excellent team. Do not discount this. And yes, we do lump you in with the other vloggers you just mentioned for a very good reason, variety and content. Personally, I prefer to hear all points of view from each perspective especially when it's relevant to trip planning, or that simple much needed Disney fix.
Gaining your opinions and insight in real time on news, trends, changes and upcoming events from seasoned experts is invaluable.
And don't be afraid to walk in our shoes from time to time and labor through the hassles of Disney and Universal etc. It's an exhausting minefield of navigational chaos just trying to carve out moments to relax and enjoy something.
Feel free to start a new channel. Can't wait.

I think Craig has a good point about it being a podcast vs a video show. A few of the podcasts I listen to now or in the past, are primarily a podcast that also happens to record it for YouTube. If I watch any of them it's while I work, so I'm not really paying attention to the screen. It would be boring for me to sit and watch an hour long podcast. If I'm going go to specifically watch something it's a vlog.

So then it becomes how the audience is treating it. For me, even though I watch it live each week now, the Dis has always been a podcast to me, I just happen to get to listen live via you tube. I feel like this was always the intent when it went to video. Great they can show slides, you can see what people look like and insert video but there was never a change in what was done because it was still always the podcast.

I don't have any problems with the new shows or the old shows. When I want to watch stuff I pull up the shopping, restaurant or other stuff the dis does.

Could things change, sure if they want to. Should they because of all this, not sure should is the answer. I think expectations of it all suddenly being different after only a couple of months is a bit much. It's not like the show was the only thing being worked on. And the show has always been a work in progress that has changed formats back and forth before.

Feedback is great but some of it lately has just been mean and some grace should be given. Yes people should smile but not everyone smiles all the time or RBH wouldn't be a thing. A lot of the time we also don't know what may be going on in their lives that could affect how they feel. Things happen in our lives and it's not always easy to get excited about things, including your job and Disney when they do.

I think a lot of people enjoyed Off the Rails because it was fun and relaxed. If you can somehow blend that format with news that the speakers actually care about you would probably get a better, more natural result. I don't know why but during those shows, and others where Pete wasn't hosting, there would be comments on here and on Youtube that somehow the show was "too silly" or unprofessional? I don't see how that's possible when the topic is Disney, but it seems like at times the structure of the show is too regimented as a response to that.

I would suggest aggregating topics weekly and if some of those are news great, and if not there's no need to discuss every tidbit already being covered on other programs. The ribbon among all of these topics should just be that you enjoy discussing them, otherwise what's the point?

There is also clearly a division of the audience here. There is the old school Pete Kevin John club, and the new school Ryno Craig club. It seems like it will be difficult to please both sides.

Craig, I too have a dry sense of humor and I can relate how much of it flies over people’s heads. Sometimes, I even take pleasure knowing it does. As for the show, your dynamic was always best in a studio setting, where everyone can play off each other’s visual queues. I think once you do get a studio, it will take a while before you get into a rhythm again, so don’t sweat it. I know DVC Fan is loosely linked now and it may help to strengthen that tie. All I can add is that you give it time and don’t get frustrated.

Podcast vs video show is a great point and feels like this Tuesday show should not be a YouTube product at all going forward. Long form conversation content that it slow moving isn't something that lends itself to be YouTube viable anymore. Also, the live show locks you all in to a very specific time where the mindset of the cast may not be on point. A weekly podcast, that can really be recorded any time with main hosts and rotating support cast, may bring this show back to life.

Shorter form specialized videos/conversations really seem to be where you all shine and enjoy being yourselves from a video format. You're fantastic at what you do and we call know you will figure it out, and acknowledge that it won't be an instant fix either.

The difference between a video and audio show is pretty striking...and it's the right thing to think about going forward.

I'm an audio-listener and always have been. I can listen while working, driving, cooking, walking...whatever. When there are long sections of the show with one person talking, my attention wanes. Not because of the content, but it's a sonic wall of "same same same" to my ears. Nothing's breaking up the voice.

I contrast this with other pods I listen to and enjoy which only have one speaker. Business Wars is one speaker (most of the time), but there's music intros and outros between ads and sometimes reenactments. You Must Remember This is one speaker, but Karina Longworth has such a unique way of annunciating words, I'm always paying attention (there's also ad breaks to break it up).

Also, let's be 100% honest here: my breaking point with pods is an hour. When I'm searching for new shows to listen to, if each episode is over an hour, I'm not likely to give it a chance. Smaller bites...compared to what Claire Dearing says in the Velocicoaster queue about "more teeth"...and smaller bites provide a chance for Ryno and Erica to do a show in the park on a "whim" or something outside the usual Tuesday cadence.

News happens all the time...by the time Tuesday rolls around, some of the information is quite literally old news. A ten-minute news show when something happens, like discounts or price changes, let's do it. But a standard Tuesday show? It's kinda like not having a daily newscast on a TV network and trying to shove all the news from the entire week into 60 Minutes. It's all old by that point. What's the new angle? Why should the audience tune in to this show vs. any other one?

There's a lot of things to talk about out there in the world of Disney. But maybe a video show needs to be separate from the audio show because of the medium. Maybe some kind of underlying soundtrack or ambient noise or something...I don't know the right answer, just some ideas.

I'm not as down on Episode 3 as everyone else; just finished listening and it's a standard issue episode which ran a touch longer than I normally like.

I don't know why but during those shows, and others where Pete wasn't hosting, there would be comments on here and on Youtube that somehow the show was "too silly" or unprofessional? I don't see how that's possible when the topic is Disney, but it seems like at times the structure of the show is too regimented as a response to that.
Yeah I was always annoyed whenever people say that it’s “unprofessional”. My phrase for this has always been “It’s folks sitting around talking Disney World. This isn’t Eyewitness News at 6.” Like, Daddy chill. 🤣🤣🤣 jkjk

But I agree that there should be a balance between the the “news” aspect with the “off the rails” format. But Craig also raised a great point that this is a podcast first and foremost, not necessarily a vlog, and that YouTube is just one of many ways it’s distributed (which just happens to have the visual aspect of it). Truth be told, I’d probably listen to it via my podcast app on my phone if it weren’t for the live chatterati.

I also just wanna say that I hope that what I said yesterday about J&K on the show wasn’t taken as mean-spirited, as that wasn’t my intention at all. Maybe I shouldn’t have referred to them as “the problem” and said “here’s an opportunity for improvement, at least from where I’m sitting.”

Thanks so much for your insights, Craig. I really appreciate the time and admire the vulnerability in your posts. Thank you. Your reflections brought me to me own, and I realized that the format and content were a lesser priority for me than connecting with other fans during the live stream. Before YT, I was more active on the boards, and attended DIS meets. I realized the commonality was reaching people and without that connection, or perhaps a personal sense of belonging, I wasn't attached to the product / vehicle itself. I admit, I'm a poor consumer demographic for passive content, but if ever there was a product that centers community participation, I'm all in.

Anyways, thank you very much for being so open. I appreciate the chance to share thoughts, thank you. :cutie:

I am intrigued by the podcasts/vlog idea. As someone who listens to three to four audio Disney podcasts each week, I would definitely still listen to just a DisUnlimited audio podcasts discussing varied opinions on issues and offerings. I also love the shorter specific food and party vlogs you have recently done. I frequently just listen to the show rather than watch it, which is why it may seem a little disjointed and forced right now, maybe due to you aren’t in the same room, as many have said. The shows where everyone rated their top five foods, rides, resorts, and discussed these were great. The best and worst of whatever was also great. It got everyone involved and gave varied opinions. I would love to see these reworked with the many new offering in Disney World since these were done. Best and worst drinks or lounges would be great. I value all of your opinions over some vloggers who can’t really criticize anything for fear of Disney reproval.

Zoom or Studio (I don't think it matters honestly) or just find a table somewhere in the park and sit down. @Teleclashter you touched on it already. Just find 2 or 3 people (no more) that like to talk about Disney. Everyone pick one or two topics they want to talk about that week. Those topics range from Disney news they found interesting or fun things they did on property or at home that relates to Disney. Promote the youtube videos you've been doing and call it a day.

The people on the show need to be excited.

Stop reading the news. Stop housekeeping. Just talk about Disney.

I think synergy is best when a team is in the same brick and mortar room. So I don't view the current mode of operation a failure, but as a transition period moving forward with lessons learned.
There are a lot of shows that work just fine with the "zoom" type approach, but the hosts typically have great on-air presence and they cover the topic passionately and not reading from a script, etc.

Look, I am still watching for as long as I can, and call me Debbie Downer, but something isn't clicking. The people are mostly all lovely humans individually, but the depth of conversation is pretty shallow. Sorry.

You all will figure it out. If not the "Tuesday" show, at least with the smaller shows that help to educate and inform travelers with planning and ideas.

Zoom or Studio (I don't think it matters honestly) or just find a table somewhere in the park and sit down.
A table in the park sounds nice but the background noise is intolerable. I stopped watching dining reviews ages ago because of that. I could barely hear what they were saying over the din.
There are a lot of shows that work just fine with the "zoom" type approach, but the hosts typically have great on-air presence and they cover the topic passionately and not reading from a script, etc.
This. The more scripted it is the worse it is. The more they are just reading news stories and press releases that we all have easy access to and probably already saw days before the show, the less engaging it is. What we want is to hear their views and thoughts on that information.

I hadn’t watched the first show or two as I thought I’d give the show some time to work out the bugs. I watched the first few minutes, but honestly couldn’t continue. In the name of transparency, I haven’t really watched any Disney shows/reviews in a while. Here are some thoughts:

1) It was awkward to watch this zoom meeting. I myself had suggested it (somewhere), but it didn’t work for me. What I’d like to suggest is that Craig, if asking a general question of the contributors, start with a specific person (say, John), then move on to another person when it’s time. Asking a general question, having first everyone answer talking over each other, then everyone falling silent was painfully awkward to watch (for me, anyway).

2) I mean this in all sincerity: if this video podcast is your livelihood (Kevin and John) or product, please at least fake it ‘till you make it and act like you actually want to be there. I have always liked ALL the people who were on the video. I especially have a soft spot for Kevin as I appreciate his dry humor and (maybe unintentionally humorous) sarcasm, but also he responded to a comment of mine (on I think it was Twitter a few years ago) and was very kind and witty. Made a pleasant impression on me. It kind of pains me that I got the impression that they just don’t want to do this show anymore. I honest to Gertrude hope I’m wrong.

I will caveat my post by saying that I didn’t watch the rest of the show (yet), so they might have loosened up as time went by. Also, I want to say I love the Disney dining reviews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter