Walt Disney Company Q3 Earnings Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

The company actually turned a profit from an operations perspective. They booked a $5 BILLION DOLLAR impairment charge, related to "international channels business", which is the reason they show a $4 billion dollar loss for the quarter.

Did I read that right? They made 6 cents a share vs expected loss of 0.63? I dunno, that's kind of impressive all things considered. Where did that revenue come from?
If I'm reading the earnings release right, the $8 a month you pay for ESPN, mostly. According to the release ESPN made money hand over fist in the quarter as they didn't have to spend anything to cover live events nor did they have to pay the NBA etc for games that didn't get played.

The Walt Disney Company today reported earnings for its third fiscal quarter ended June 27, 2020. Diluted earnings per share (EPS) from continuing operations for the quarter was a loss of $2.61 compared to income of $0.79 in the prior-year quarter

Did I read that right? They made 6 cents a share vs expected loss of 0.63? I dunno, that's kind of impressive all things considered. Where did that revenue come from?

Correct, the details of profit harder to get at but we can see how the revenue split was:

• Media Networks: $6.56 billion, down 2%
  • Parks, Experiences and Products: $983 million, down 85%
  • Studio Entertainment: $1.74 billion, down 55%
  • Direct-to-Consumer and International: $3.97 billion, up 2%
Presumably they were able to eek out a profit by dramatically cutting the costs of parks being closed. And that media networks weren't as hit as expected could be a big help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter