Wall E

OK - we just got back. Here's my take.

I was reasonably excited to see it before I heard of any reviews. Pixar has never disappointed me yet.

Maybe this is skewing my view of things, but I went online last nite and started reading all the critic's views. Basically a tide of overwhelming positives. Basically it was being heralded as one of Pixar's finest yet - a masterpiece....Well - I was practically beside myself with excitement.

In fact, the only reservation or "criticism" I was able to find was that some critics felt the first 1/2 hour of the movie may be a bit boring for some small children. Incidentally, I didn't find this to be the case at all.

I did read online last nite that Paul Newman had let it slip some time ago that there would be a short new Cars film at the beginning of the movie. Well, I knew this would be the greatest thrill for my son as Cars is his favourite movie and he watches it over, and over, and over.

Well, the short film at the start of the movie was not Cars. It was cute enough, but nothing terribly thrilling. Thank goodness I didn't mention anything about Cars before we went!

As for Wall-E - yes, it was good. I enjoyed it a lot.

However, to say it is one of Pixar's finest or a masterpiece? IMO - not even close!

Yes - I was entertained for 1 1/2 hours. However, for the very first time I can honestly say this will probably be the first Pixar film that we will not be buying when it comes out on DVD. Neither me or my kids were all that thrilled with it.

I remember our first reaction to Cars, Nemo, Toy Story, the Incredibles, Ratatouille...well, you couldn't stop talking about it when the credits started rolling and you would continue to think about it at various times over the next few days. And you almost instantly wanted to watch it all over again - that was the level of enjoyment.

So based on what I was expecting from Pixar and from the critics' reviews, I have to say I was disappointed.

Everyone by now knows the story of the infamous lunch between the 4 masterminds of Pixar where several movie ideas were developed. Wall-E was the last one to actually be put to film. Not to sound too harsh, but I now think I realize why!:duck:

You know, cdotla, I had the same reaction to Ratatouille and Enchanted...the hype was WAY more than the movie.

But Wall-E? I think the hype is pretty spot-on.

We just got back too. My DS4 was confused about the details in the plot that were visual only. My DD15 loved it. I thought it bordered on boring and didn't like having the save mother earth message shoved down my throat. :headache: Wall-E is adorable though! Really liked his character.

I know I'll be ducking some rotten tomatoes here :duck: ....but I thought Wall-E was terribly boring. I actually fell asleep for about 20 minutes!!

The "Save the Earth" message was very good, as well as, the message about people no longer being able to do anything for themselves and becoming morbidly obese. However, would a kid 10 & under pick up on those messages? I doubt it.

I adore Pixar movies, but did not think this was up to par for Pixar. I guess I expected something more spectacular such as Monster's Inc or Cars. They could have cut at least 30 minutes out of the movie. Toooooo long!!

I guess I stopped watching movies for the kids long ago...I was watching it for myself, and really enjoyed it. I can see how it might lose the interest and attention of a toddler, for sure. Way too subtle for the much younger set.

I guess I stopped watching movies for the kids long ago...I was watching it for myself, and really enjoyed it. I can see how it might lose the interest and attention of a toddler, for sure. Way too subtle for the much younger set.

Yes, I can see that, I said to my girlfriend when it ended that it was a perfect "date" movie. A definite artsy film for sure and I still can't believe the guts Pixar showed in producing this movie. I hope it makes a tonne of money so we get more daring and less cookie cutter sludge.

Just saw it tonight - WOW - loved it!
Someone posted that they didn't find themselves talking about it when it was over as they have for previous pixar movies. Funny thing - we didn't talk about it on the way home either - but we were all thinking about it. Does that make sense? Honestly me DH and our 11 yr olds were basically without words - I think because we were almost mesmerized by the whole experience. Please tell me how a cartoon robot could have such an effect !?!? The only explanation for me: Disney/Pixar MAGIC!!!!

For starters, im not a regular on the DISboards, im disney8704's husband. Im on here because I want to express my thoughts on Disney and Pixar's latest animated adventure. When I went to see WALL-E with my wife today, I came into it with high expectations. I had seen the trailors before, downloaded one onto my PS3, and expected to see a movie that would become an instant classic along the lines of such great movies like Finding Nemo. Needless to say, I was blown away. This movie surpassed my expectations. A visually stunning work of art, this movie broke story-telling barriers that other movies wouldnt dare accomplish. This movie deserves its place amongst classics like Finding Nemo and Toy Story. I could go into the movie deep and tell you just how good it is but whats the fun in that? This is from one fan of Disney and Pixar movies to another, go see this movie. You will walk away with a smile that was put on your face by a lovable and yes, adorable, robot that will be remembered for years to come.

We all absolutely loved it! DD6 and DS4 were both glued to the seats, and DS4 spent the rest of the day drawing out his words, talking like Wall-E!! :rotfl2: I thought the message was great, and extremely accurate. That's why Pixar continues to make movies to reach every age group.

Saw it last night at Downtown Disney AMC. We also got a late start and sat in the very front row...UGH!....Enjoyed the movie and recommend it highly...big Hello Dolly fan.

Wall-E is incredible. It just absolutely humiliates the competition in terms of story, visuals, sound design, character development and message. Pixar could be one of the greatest studios going and there are no signs that they are scraping by. Very little voice work in this movie focuses the attention on the visuals, and wow are they something else. The lack of celebrity voices is completely freeing (other than perennial fave, John Ratzenberger) and the exclusion of popular songs from 10-15 years ago is refreshing.

I keep thinking back to the trailer for Madagascar 2 and the comparison between the two movies is striking. Where Madagascar looks to be a paint-by-number routine, Wall-E seems from another universe. This is a serious movie, there is humour in it, but for the most part, this is a movie with something to say. The great thing is, Pixar refuses to play by the lowest common denominator, and instead offers up the messages in unique and challenging ways. There is no spoonfeeding here! Kids are going to grow up with this movie and they will see something new in it each time they watch it. As they age and mature they will encounter ideas and themes that will enrich them. I can't say enough good things about this movie. It may be the first Pixar movie to get an Oscar for best pic, it is that good.

All in all a classic in every sense of the word and the short that precedes it was worth the $9 admission alone. CLASSIC cartoon that reminded me so much of the great Looney Tunes shorts.

:worship: PIXAR

Bravo, you have nailed the review. You should write for a newspaper or something. This is a rich, wonderful film. I could not have said it better.

How "scary" was it? My DD4 can't handle much conflict, she loved Toy Story and Toy Story 2 but is pretty scared of most Disney flix-- how would you rate this on the 4 year old scary meter? I really want to see it...

I rate ot low on the scary meter. I took my 4y/o daughter and she loved it. There are a few loud parts though like when ......well you'll see.;)
Overall she loved it I thought it was great, very funny and full of emotion.

Bravo, you have nailed the review. You should write for a newspaper or something. This is a rich, wonderful film. I could not have said it better.

aww it was an inspiring film, thats for sure! Thanks

Good to know...ThX

I just did not want to see a "March of the Penguins" or "Happy Feet". My son watched both of those and wanted to leave 30 minutes in. I did too.

I am looking forward to Wall-E

I didn't realize there was an inordinate amount of these types of movies....but rest assured this isn't one of them.

Good to know...ThX

I just did not want to see a "March of the Penguins" or "Happy Feet". My son watched both of those and wanted to leave 30 minutes in. I did too.

I am looking forward to Wall-E

Don't get me wrong, they definitely have a message here but it is very subtle and handled with tact. This is like an old silent movie, character driven and very much a physical comedy.

We just got back from the movie. My DH and I loved it. I agree it was not "scary" in most normal senses of the word, but tragically my DD spent much of the movie with her head buried in my shoulder because she was afraid. She was however really rooting for the cockroach the whole time.

Overall I thought the film was fantastic. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter