Walking the 1/2 Marathon

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
I have 2 half marathons under my belt and it’s always been a goal to do the Disney half marathon.

Due to ongoing knee and ankle issues I am no longer a runner or a run/walker, I’m just a walker. I really want to complete this half marathon and have it be my last.

My question…..how strict are they with that 16 minute mile? I can do 15/16 minute miles, but I have read and heard from others that there’s so much to take in, and characters are there, and that this is a fun race. If I’m doing a 16 minute mile, then I have no time to spare.

So, is this doable for me or should I forget about this? Give it to me straight - LOL!
Thank you

The 16 minute per mile time limit starts when the “balloon ladies” start. They are the last people to cross the start line, typically around 1 hour after the official start time. So, you will have some buffer on them, but it depends on which corral you get placed in and how close to the front of the corral you are able to get. They will sweep you off the course if the balloon ladies are ahead of you at a sweep point. However, the bikers will give you notice of how far away the balloon ladies are and if you’re close to a sweep point. You probably won’t have much time for photos or characters, so you’ll have to prioritize which are important to you.

If walking speed is 15 or 16 minutes a mile then there is no leeway for potty stops with lines or stopping to tighten shoelaces. Characters were usually gone by time i would have reached them but i had no time to wait in line to get a photo anyway. WDW courses are way overcrowded in the back. Speed will usually slow as miles add up.

In 2006 I did finish a Disney half marathon as a walker, in 3 hours 18 minutes but was able to walk 5 mph when training.
But later that year developed an issue of muscle tightness and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

Since then I have been swept from the half marathon course at WDW and at Disneyland.

So I will be straight and say that you probably won't be able to walk fast enough and will be swept from the course.

I do virtual Disney races now with my sister. We are signed up for Virtual Half Marathon Feb 25, 2024,
Even the virtual races motivate me to get more exercise.

IF, and only if, we can complete virtual half marathon in time required will i sign up for in person Half Marathon at Disneyland in January 2025. Disneyland course didn't seem as crowded and starting line was at our hotel entrance. WDW has bus trips and long walks to get to start. So figure Disneyland gives me best chance to finish.

Best wishes for your health.

Reactions: slo

looking at marathon weekend results for the half...the last finishers were at 4 hour 30 minutes AFTER the first runner started. soooo...if you literally start as the last runner,1 hour after main start, you have about 3:30 hrs to finish.

if you start any earlier than the last person then you can bank that time....so worst case scenario you just have to finish in 3:30 hrs - ie 16 min/mile pace

A really important thing to note:

Your watch might say that you're a little bit under a 16:00 pace, BUT, that pace guideline assumes that you are running the course perfectly to not tack on any extra distance whatsoever, and being in the back of the pack, that extra distance is inevitable. So even though you might be moving at a 15:57 pace, it IS possible to be swept because you will be covering longer than 13.1 miles. (My watch says I covered 13.72mi for the HM in January this year and 13.69mi in 2022.) The rundisney website says to train for at least a 15:00 pace, and that should be your goal.

Others have given good advice about starting ahead of the balloon ladies in the corrals, etc to give yourself a bit of a buffer to help offset any possible pace challenges you may have.

So only you can know whether starting but probably not finishing will feel better or worse than not starting.

it was hard for me to believe that if the Balloon Ladies doing the pace at the end were walking, that I wouldn't be able to keep up with them also walking.

But first we were alerted by people on bikes that we were in danger of being swept. We could look back and see the balloons. But I just couldn't walk fast enough. I needed to jog half the time to not fall off pace. I was telling my sister to go ahead without me as she was younger and a bit healthier. She chose to stay with me as I got swept about mile 7.

When I was successful in 2006 I could walk 5 mph and do 10 miles in one day while training.

The two tries i was swept, I was never able to reach that distance in one day.

Best wishes

If this is something that you'd really like to do, you can consider paying for club RunDisney. I have no idea how much it costs, but I think there's a level that puts you into corral B, which will give you more time. I was in corral C for the half this year, and started at 5:20ish. Right there you get an additional 40ish minutes, which works out to 3min/mile.
Good luck!

If this is something that you'd really like to do, you can consider paying for club RunDisney. I have no idea how much it costs, but I think there's a level that puts you into corral B, which will give you more time. I was in corral C for the half this year, and started at 5:20ish. Right there you get an additional 40ish minutes, which works out to 3min/mile.
Good luck!
This is over $900 and is sold out for the 2023-24 season. It never went on sale for new members this year because gold members upgraded and existing platinum members renewed.

This is over $900 and is sold out for the 2023-24 season. It never went on sale for new members this year because gold members upgraded and existing platinum members renewed.
The half is also sold out for the 23-24 season, so I’m assuming this person is thinking for the next season.
I personally wouldn’t pay $900, but maybe it’s worth it to OP, hence offering it as an option.

So only you can know whether starting but probably not finishing will feel better or worse than not starting.

it was hard for me to believe that if the Balloon Ladies doing the pace at the end were walking, that I wouldn't be able to keep up with them also walking.

But first we were alerted by people on bikes that we were in danger of being swept. We could look back and see the balloons. But I just couldn't walk fast enough. I needed to jog half the time to not fall off pace. I was telling my sister to go ahead without me as she was younger and a bit healthier. She chose to stay with me as I got swept about mile 7.

When I was successful in 2006 I could walk 5 mph and do 10 miles in one day while training.

The two tries i was swept, I was never able to reach that distance in one day.

Best wishes
Thank you for sharing your story.
Were you swept at mile 7 ahead in front or behind the balloon ladies? Did they pass you up?
The half is also sold out for the 23-24 season, so I’m assuming this person is thinking for the next season.
I personally wouldn’t pay $900, but maybe it’s worth it to OP, hence offering it as an option.
Yes - I’m thinking about the 2025 race

Last edited:
Just a note, as a newcomer based on this year, you may not even have the opportunity to buy into it.

The Balloon ladies passed us by and then they diverted everyone behind the ladies off the course.

I was tempted by corral B for a split second until I thought how it would affect all the runners/walkers behind me.

Parts of the course are I am guessing 20 people wide

If there are usually more than 26,000 racers for a Princess Half, and the course is 20 people wide at choke points, then i would be an impediment to the people behind me at causing at least 1,000 people to need to pass me.

Rough calculations as not all runners finish race.

I did a 15k May 2006 .

I knew I wasnt well conditioned so I got at the very end of the last corral as I didn't want to negatively affect fellow racers.

I swear I was the second to last racer to finish the course. It was me and one woman behind me, going through EPCOT.

Are you able to run or jog at all? If you can run or jog a few minutes/mile faster for a few miles to build up a cushion and then settle into a steady 16:00 pace you will have a better chance at finishing. You have a year and a half to work on it and test it out in training. I'd also suggest finding a local half marathon with a generous minimum pace and do a dry run to see just how likely staying at 16:00/mile is for you.

I walked this year's Princess.

I started at 5:38 am and finished in 3:40:18. I paid CLOSE attention to trying to take the shortest distances without too much weaving, and I am pretty sure I didn't have to use the bathroom once (thank you Tailwind Endurance "fuel"!), and I did 13.37 miles.

I started as close to the front of my corral as I possibly could. And doing that changed everything.

I generally don't worry too much about getting up front, but in 2022 I was swept while doing intervals. In 2022 I started at 5:58 am. I was swept with TONS of other people at the mile 9 marker, and I'd already done 9.3 miles.

(for a variety of reasons, some health-related as I'd JUST had coronavirus, some weather-related because it was hot, some runDisney-related because no bus came to Beach Club for over an hour and the event had already started by the time we had pulled up, and then I had to use the bathroom before starting. I was panicked and was never able to get my breathing under control, and then there was a medical emergency just beyond the mile 9 marker that they apparently didn't want everyone trundling by to see)

I'd had two bathroom breaks after I started, from what I recall. Looking at the time I'd been on the course when pulled, divided by 9 miles, I was going at a 17-minute 25-second-per-mile pace. My Garmin told me 16 minutes 50 seconds, because it was looking at what my feet were doing, but Disney cares about the measured distance between mile markers. 2 hours 36 minutes 41 seconds divided by 9 is different than divided by 9.3.

The half-hour difference in when I crossed the start line from 2022 to 2023, just by being in the front vs the back of the corral, made a HUGE amount of difference to me.

With Disney runs, the earlier you start the better. It's less crowded, you don't end up with as many very very tired people in front of you (solo people being solo don't make a difference, but groups do, or bunches of solo runners all getting tired at the same time and not realizing they've accidentally made a wall), and it lets you keep a straighter distance between mile markers.

This year was the first year I was ever able, because the later crowds weren't there yet, to actually run (JOG) through the castle. Yes, I said I walked the Half, but I had a bit of gas in the tank and I *could* so I did. It was thrilling. It was also my swan song for the Half distance and I wanted to make the most of it!

Your watch might say that you're a little bit under a 16:00 pace, BUT, that pace guideline assumes that you are running the course perfectly to not tack on any extra distance whatsoever, and being in the back of the pack, that extra distance is inevitable. So even though you might be moving at a 15:57 pace, it IS possible to be swept because you will be covering longer than 13.1 miles. (My watch says I covered 13.72mi for the HM in January this year and 13.69mi in 2022.)

Yep.

I solved that by having a field on my phone for average lap pace. When I got to a mile marker I hit the lap button, and it recalculated to show me what Disney would see; how long it took me to get from one mile marker to the next. It was a more honest time, and it kept me on track. Despite having a Math minor from my original degree and just graduating with an Accounting degree, if I'm on my feet longer than 3 miles I can barely add 2 and 2 together reliably. So I had to let my watch do the math for me. And using average lap pace did it.

I was tempted by corral B for a split second until I thought how it would affect all the runners/walkers behind me.... I knew I wasnt well conditioned so I got at the very end of the last corral as I didn't want to negatively affect fellow racers.

I really really encourage you to not worry so much about that in the future. You are one person, and I'm sure you would hug the right side of the path and I'm sure you made sure you weren't impacting others if you slowed or sped up, or moved out of the way of an obstacle. I'm sure you weren't a hindrance to others.

So please do what's right for YOU in the future, by being in the front of your corral. It made all the difference in the world to me this year. If someone behind me was faster, for a lot of the Half there was a huge wide road for them to maneuver in. If it was narrower, since I turn my head to both sides often I could see when someone was coming up, and I'd squeeze my arms in closer. I am also very aware of arm-swinging, and even when walking I use my arms like when I'm running/jogging, keeping them closer in and bent at the elbows.

You and I deserve to take up our space in the world and in our corral, and if that means starting at the front, on the right side of course, then that's what it means.

And if you have the means to do Club runDisney, start at the right, hug the side for a while, and do your thing. The B people are fast and strong enough to get by you.

I've taken part in Rock and Roll events, and when they were in Vancouver BC in 2015 I believe, I was assigned the last corral. One week or so out, they announced that those with an expected time of X or slower, and who were assigned the last corral, could start before anyone else. We could move up to a waiting area in front of the elites. We got to start half an hour before anyone else. Oh it was such a good way to start! At the 25-minute mark after we started, trucks came by with people with megaphones, telling us that the race had started and to move to the right. We did so. And zoom zoom zoom the elites went by. Truly awe-inspiring, to see their form, their speed, their just absolute beauty in their sport. Our presence didn't harm them. A bit later when the normal corrals had started and those runners had made their way up, you could tell the people who had paid attention to the runner info (they knew why we were already there) and who hadn't (they *****ed about us verbally). We still didn't impact them. We were still mainly to the right and they could easily move around us. Even with a situation like that, we deserved to take up the space that the event planners allowed us. Same with rundisney.

Back to the OP... I don't care about characters, so I really can't speak to that. Seeing them is fun, and seeing the joy others have with them is fun, but I'm happy to snag the occasional picture of them as I'm moving past them. If you're into characters AND will be doing the parks AND want the strongest chance of finishing, think about having your medal in pictures with characters during your park days, and just smile at the characters on the course rather than waiting for them.

Get to the corrals early. Get as far forward as you can. Be on the right so that faster people can pass you on the left, just like when driving. During training, work out the "fuel" that works the best for you. I used Clif Shot Bloks and Jelly Belly Sports Beans for YEARS, until I finally realized that I was using the restroom WAY too often. Each bathroom break slows you down in ways you don't even realize. Just pulling up your unders (if you wear them) and shorts, straightening a skirt or tutu or whatever, is exhausting and time-consuming. So I really looked into the fuels that people have fewer problems with, trained a lot with Tailwind, and it was absolute perfection for me.

Hope all that helps.

@bumbershoot, do you mind me asking what corrals you were in for both races? Was it the same corral?

Good question.
My bibs tell me I was in E this year and I was in "S4" last year for the Challenge. I don't remember what the corrals were like in 2022.

It's definitely possible corrals made a difference, though I chose the same estimated time as I always do, and of course, they could see my big ol' DNF from 2022.

I wish the official results told us start time (can one figure that out using Clock vs Net time?) so I could look at the balloon lady of my first name and my cousin's (who didn't use her Garmin to track in 2022) and see that.

I was running scared this year, though not running other than through the castle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter