• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking shoes that aren’t sneakers?

For Sandals:
Teva Ysidro Universal Flat Sandal- I walked over 30 miles in these in three days and my feet felt fantastic. I did add some black fashion inserts to the bottom (my sandals are black) not because they were uncomfortable but my one foot was making a strange sound when I walked and that annoyed me but this fixed it and they were only about $7 for a pack of 3 at CVS. The straps really keep these on your feet, so you don't have to worry about them slipping off at all. I actually ordered about 3 or 4 different styles of Teva from the Teva website, tried them on at home and sent back what didn't work since they have free returns for unworn items, worked perfectly and I found an awesome pair of sandals that I feel comfortable wearing anywhere that it is warm enough for open toed shoes.

For ballet flats:
Yosi Samra leather ballet flat, very comfortable and they have a wider elastic at the opening so it doesn't cut into your foot like some ballet flats do, they also come with a nice bag so you can fold them up and easily transport them.

For Sneakers:
Sketchers go walks- all time favorite, I have put so many miles on these over the years and I have never had an issue, I get the all black ones so I can still wear them with capris and not look totally crazy.

Last edited:
I have very narrow heels... which is a problem with slippage so I have to be super careful on what type of shoes I buy...

We are heading to Paris and DLP - 10 days total... So walking is in our future as well... I'm taking my Sketchers, Bobs and Toms... along with a 2 pair of over the ankle boots which are so comfortable and cute one black and one brown pair... One pair of dressy booties for dinner out...as well as flip flops for the airport and plane... I do better with several types of shoes... wearing the same ones seems to hurt my feet, but if I change them up.... they just do better... also making sure I have the right socks, footie's, I bring a extra pair in my day bag... I can not stand sweaty feet...

I have very narrow heels... which is a problem with slippage so I have to be super careful on what type of shoes I buy...

We are heading to Paris and DLP - 10 days total... So walking is in our future as well... I'm taking my Sketchers, Bobs and Toms... along with a 2 pair of over the ankle boots which are so comfortable and cute one black and one brown pair... One pair of dressy booties for dinner out...as well as flip flops for the airport and plane... I do better with several types of shoes... wearing the same ones seems to hurt my feet, but if I change them up.... they just do better... also making sure I have the right socks, footie's, I bring a extra pair in my day bag... I can not stand sweaty feet...

You should wear shoes on a plane for safety reasons, not flip flops. That is a crazy amount of shoes for a 10 day trip!

Honestly everyone needs to try on different brands/styles of shoes well before your trip,since we all have different feet! I have specific shoes I'll wear,while my Dsis swears by the shoes I don't like so much,she says my Jambu kill her feet!,and another sis who HATES crocs(which I think are comfortable) and my Birkenstocks are heaven every day! (but not everyone agrees) so be sure if you order they allow free returns if needed. It took me quite a few orders of different brands before I found my favorite shoe!(Merrell, not so much,Skechers,never for me....etc)

Bernie Mevs. They come in a ton of styles, but for walking, I like the comfi (open toe) or cuddly (closed toe) styles the best for walking. They come in all different colors. They are very lightweight which makes them great for packing--- I also think that is why my feet aren't even tired after a park open to close Disney day. I use them any time, I am going to be walking for a good part of the day. Used them walking all over NYC last fall, and they were as good as they are at Disney.

If you can handle the price tag, I recommend Tieks. I'm on my feet all day and it hardly feels like I have shoes on. I also did our whole Disney trip in them. I actually had a conversation on the bus with a woman and she asked how my feet were holding up in them with the walking. They were so comfortable never any blisters or anything.

I only wear Ecco brand shoes. They are European, stylish (some look weird by my standards) but are very comfortable and durable. Some of their shoes are cheaper than other models. I find the more expensive ones are worth the price. I try on ones in a store (there are Ecco stores in many high end malls), then look for overstock or new returns on Ebay for a fraction of the cost.

Also look into Ecco Track shoes if you have a man in your life. They are the only shoe my husband wears. They are waterproof, durable (lasts for years with every day wear) and look dressy.

We do often replace the insoles with high end shock absorbing insoles. These insoles are great and can improve the comfort of just about any shoe if the shoe has room for them. If there is not room for a full insole, gel heel pads under the insole helps a lot.

Yes! I'm biased because DH used to work for Ecco, but their Biom Delta shoes are perfect for park touring. Saved my feet with all the walking without making them too hot like sneakers do.

You should wear shoes on a plane for safety reasons, not flip flops. That is a crazy amount of shoes for a 10 day trip!

I am a Florida girl... I live my life in flip flops...and have always worn them and always will...I carry socks in my carry on... once in line for security I put on my socks.. once thru back to the flip flops...If we are going somewhere its cold, I have my shoes ready to go in the carry on.... I really have never thought about from a safety point...

On the amount of shoes----- 6 or 7 pairs of shoes is a lot? I don't count the flips as they are not really shoes...:D -.... I confess.... I just can't help myself....I thought I was doing good...

Some of this depends on the shape of your foot. I always liked Clarks, and Sofft shoes for more stylish "comfort shoes" as the front of my foot was wider. Keep in mind Europe has a lot of cobblestone streets, so if the shoe sole is too thin you will feel it all. Too thick and you might not feel enough and trip over things. If you buy flats I like soles that are more split, so if its leather I get a rubber sole just on the heel and front toe box area so the middle is flexible. If they are rubber I sometimes look for rubber flats that have a two sections so the shoe can bend a bit when worn. Currently I have a few pairs of Sam Endleman flats (bought at TJ Maxx) that are super comfy. I also have one pair of Croc flat wedges, two pairs of Sofft loafers that are amazing, and one random pair of Bandolino flats that are extra cushioned and fit my wide toes perefectly.

I am not sure what style of dresses or skirts you are wearing but its worth it to look into sneakers that will look good with them too. I just bought a pair of lightweight, sleek New Balance shoes for this spring/summer as I think they will look ok with some dresses/skirts. Slip on van type shoes and girly sneakers like addidas in pink are popular with some of the modest fashion bloggers as they work well with skirts/dresses.

One suggestion I have is when working in NYC I would rotate sneakers between really cushioned ones and not so cushioned ones or flats. I walked a few miles each day just commuting and on lunch break. Each shoe would activate different muscles in my legs/feet so if I was tired from a busy day the next day switching out into a different type of support provided more of a break. Also on the local news every summer they have podiatrists begging people (mostly women) to stop wearing sandals/ flip-flops all over the city as they say the support just isnt there so injuries increase at that time of year lol. Oh and one more thing. I always used to joke NYC ate my shoes. Walking on lots of concrete wears them down and they get loads of scuffs much faster. So I wouldn't spend tons on the shoes for the trip as they may look like you walked for years in them after a few weeks. My expensive work shoes always stayed in my desk and rarely hit the streets for that reason.

Has anyone tried Ryka sandals? They look like the Clarks I normally wear but they are only $25-30. My Clarks are getting old and I'd like to replace them but only with something that will last as long and be as comfortable.

These are my go-to shoes for all trips;
Running shoes, worn on plane, due to safety reasons.....
Birkenstock Myari - these are casual enough to go with anything, but they are a sandal and look fine with a skirt or casual dress
Crocs Mary Jane style - I sometimes need just a little more cushion on my feet
Crocs flip flops - again a little more cushion and surprisingly their flip flops have decent arch support
Chacos - enough of a sole to hold up to light hiking and double as a beach shoe, plus work great for a rainy day
Tieks (classic black) - packs up super small to easily dress up an outfit

If we are traveling to a pants weather destination then my go-to shoe is Dansko professional clog.

I have this pair of Clarks leather booties that have been with me on two different 3 week visits to Europe because they're my favorites Despite walking at least 50 miles in them, they barely look worn and go with so many outfits. That nice wide heel is great on cobbles, too.

If those look a bit higher heel than you would wish, I've had great luck hiking around European cities in Soft Spots or other Clarks. Both have some great leather flats and sandals. Clarks has more variation. I have found both online for great prices just by picking the style I want and then doing a bit of googling. The main thing is they all hold up well and are very comfortable.

I've walked all over WDW in Birkenstock Mayari, and if I get cold, I pull on a pair of Japanese toe socks. They are available in cute styles, but I know a lot of people think it's weird. :crazy: I wear Mayaris with jeans, skirts, summer dresses and shorts.
And, another vote for Sketchers Go Walks

We travel to Europe at least twice a year in different seasons. I like Born ballet flats (they have cute styles and are well padded), and Yellowbox flip flops. I have a pair of Keens for more intense summer walking.

However, I have to ask why no sneakers? I am not talking about big, clunky white tennis shoes, but how about more retro styles. There are ASICS Onisuka Tigers and some retro style Nikes that are very Euro in terms of style and very much fit in what they wear over there. I am not a sneaker person either, but I like the retro shoes.

Last edited:
Crocs have some cute sandals and flip flops. They have a lot of padding and I worry them to WDW in Dec for 20 miles a day and never hadn’t tired feet. I hate the look of sneakers and they make my feet hot so I love my Croc sandals!

I will forever recommend a good pair of insoles. I got a Dr. Scholls semi-custom pair (where you stand on a machine often in pharmacy sections and it tells you which of 6-9 types to get). It was $50 but it makes every pair of shoes I have totally comfortable for a full day of walking. I've had them for 4-5 years now I think, and it's probably almost time to replace them. Well worth the investment.

I only wear Ecco brand shoes. They are European, stylish (some look weird by my standards) but are very comfortable and durable. Some of their shoes are cheaper than other models. I find the more expensive ones are worth the price. I try on ones in a store (there are Ecco stores in many high end malls), then look for overstock or new returns on Ebay for a fraction of the cost.

I second these and many big outlet centers have an Ecco outlet where you can save on them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter