• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking Pad

Shanna-like-Banana

DIS Veteran
Does anybody have a walking pad that they just absolutely love?

I am looking at buying one to help me with my bone surgery recovery. The more I look at them, the more I get lost in all the options.
I really like the ones that have the handlebar you can raise, and some of them will increase the speed with the raised handle bar.

I've been in PT for Achilles and bone surgery and this is what they recommend the most, walking on a flat surface until I can get more strength and endurance. I don't want to invest in a treadmill because I cannot do any incline at all, and we have a gym membership once I can start doing that again.

If you have any links, that would be amazing.

Can you not just walk around inside your house? That is what I would recommend if it's at all possible to create a little circuit. I wouldn't personally spend money on something like this for such a short period of need.

I have a walking pad! I work from home full-time and was looking for a way to get more steps in during the day. This is the walking pad i have for under my desk. I think its great, I can do my work and walk mindlessly. It has a remote to control the speed and has wheels to make it easy to move around.

Another vote for walking in your house (or neighborhood). Just seems most reasonable.

I clicked the above link provided by another poster, as I am not familiar with walking pads. It looks like a treadmill with no hand-holds. Especially since you're healing and perhaps not as steady on your feet as usual, is this a safe choice?

I have never heard of a 'walking pad' but if it is only something you need for a short period of time, walking around your house or yard seems like a more cost effective solution. Something without a handlebar seems like a bad idea and you could fall if you lose your balance, particularly when recovering from surgery.

Another vote for walking in your house (or neighborhood). Just seems most reasonable.

I clicked the above link provided by another poster, as I am not familiar with walking pads. It looks like a treadmill with no hand-holds. Especially since you're healing and perhaps not as steady on your feet as usual, is this a safe choice?

Right? And wouldn't a walking pad with a handlebar be...a treadmill?

Can you not just walk around inside your house? That is what I would recommend if it's at all possible to create a little circuit. I wouldn't personally spend money on something like this for such a short period of need.
No thank you. The biggest obstacle are the other people in my house, lol.
I am mom and just because I am home, they think I am home to do things for them,
I need a specific space to just do something for myself where they can't find me :rotfl2:

I am perfectly steady on my feet. I am nine months post op and just need more daily movement on a continuous flat surface.
There are many options that have hand-holds or many people use them at a standing desk. I am in Grad School, so if I can use this at my adjustable desk while listening to lectures, watching lectures, etc and mindlessly walk at a slow consistent pace, I will get in lots more steps than I am now.
My obstacle is the incline. Even just walking around our block is not flat at all where we live.

I have never heard of a 'walking pad' but if it is only something you need for a short period of time, walking around your house or yard seems like a more cost effective solution. Something without a handlebar seems like a bad idea and you could fall if you lose your balance, particularly when recovering from surgery.
I've already been walking around my house for months. It's still very cold, wet and the area we live in is not flat.
Therefore it would be much easier for me to walk on something like this for now.
Did you have any recommendations for a great one?
There are many options with handlebars and most are used in conjunction to a standing desk, which I have, so the hands are on the desk. I've never fallen or been wobbly, I'm 9 month post op :)

Last edited:
Right? And wouldn't a walking pad with a handlebar be...a treadmill?
Not necessarily, If you haven't seen these walking pads, you could check them out.

Most walking pads have a low-speed limit because they are intended for walking, not running. Ones without handlebars usually go 4mph max, those with handlebars can go up to 6mph. These usually do not have any sort of programs with them and there is no incline.

Walking pads are a fraction of the cost because they are very simple.

Did you have a recommendation for a great one?

Not necessarily, If you haven't seen these walking pads, you could check them out.

Most walking pads have a low-speed limit because they are intended for walking, not running. Ones without handlebars usually go 4mph max, those with handlebars can go up to 6mph. These usually do not have any sort of programs with them and there is no incline.

Walking pads are a fraction of the cost because they are very simple.

Did you have a recommendation for a great one?

No, I don't. I do laps around my house while my kids are in school on days where the weather is not conducive to being outdoors. I did 3 miles yesterday.

I have this one and love it! I've had it for 6 months and found it works very well. I can stand it up against the wall in my office when I'm not using it so it's out of the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter