Walker/Wheelchair Rental

Karen Parks

Earning My Ears
My 84 year old mother will be accompanying us on our trip to DisneyWorld - in the past she has brought her walker with her on the plane. Every time damage has been done to it and parts had to be replaced. Does anyone know of a place in Orlando to rent a walker, or will we have to go with a wheelchair instead?

My

84-year-old mother will be accompanying us on our trip to DisneyWorld - in the past, she has brought her walker with her on the plane. Every time damage has been done to it and parts had to be replaced. Does anyone know of a place in Orlando to rent a walker, or will we have to go with a wheelchair instead?

If you decide not to rent a walker, I would make sure that everything is securely tightened before leaving for the airport.

Most airlines will let you store your folded mobility walker in their closet.

If you use it as checked luggage, buy some plastic wrap like saran wrap to wrap around the walker to cover those pieces that might vibrate off during a plane flight like the rubber tips of each leg. Then I would wrap the whole mobility walker in the saran wrap. Especially wrap the rubber tips or wheels or glides and leg extensions. I usually carry a roll in my carryon luggage.

This will keep the rubber tips from vibrating off, the leg extensions from coming off and the mobility walker from opening up and being caught on some piece of machinery.

I put bubble wrap around my scooter's electronic section and secure it with saran wrap. I do the same thing with the seat.

Just an idea.

I don't know if she uses a mobility walker with rubber tips or a combination of wheels or gliders or with a seat, but you could buy another expensive walker just to travel with so that her regular at home walker could be used at home or when traveling without using an airline.

Last edited:
You can get a rollator on Amazon for about $55, which is not much different than what a rental would cost. A standard walked would cost even less. Have it shipped to the resort. Bring it home on the plane. Worst case, it won't come through undamaged - but she'll have her own walker by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter