Walk or boat?

I always prefer to be under my own power and on my own timeline, so I generally choose walking to HS ... but it is mostly in the sun so if extreme heat like this past week (feels like 105+), I'd probably do the boat. Otherwise, I don't think the walk is bad at all. The boat is slow - and has stops.
We always walk for the same reason. The worst was the summer they had the walls up to walk through when they were working on the bus stops at HS. On blacktop, direct sunlight, no breeze and nowhere for the hot air to go. That section of the walk was brutal. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was 120+ real feel in there some afternoons.

I just remembered that we took an Uber from BC to Studios last trip because the boats were shut down due to weather and the busses were going to be over 30 minutes wait. We got there via Uber for like $5 and it took under 5 minutes. Maybe that's an option for you?

Rope dropping? Walk. It's simple; no waiting for transportation to start up; no lining up an hour; no waiting for multiple boats, ... you leave the YC and 20 minutes later, you're outside the HS turnstiles.

Coming back? We usually Skyline to Epcot and walk back. It's less than 10 minutes between the Epcot station and YC and the boat dock is almost half that distance anyway.

During a trip, we use everything. But the boats are slowest, and can involve a long wait for the boat to arrive (every 20 minutes all day long). Often, at the end of the day, the boat line at HS stays 2-3 boats long, with 20 minutes between boats. The actual boat trip is roughly 15 minutes.

Last edited:
We've walked it, even in August, in less than 20 minutes at a relaxed pace. We take the boat to HS only if it's right there at the YC/BC dock when we walk out, or if it's just left the dock and is headed to the Dolphin at that time (meaning we can catch it there, and go straight to HS).

I just remembered that we took an Uber from BC to Studios last trip because the boats were shut down due to weather and the busses were going to be over 30 minutes wait. We got there via Uber for like $5 and it took under 5 minutes. Maybe that's an option for you?
I’d do that but my DH wouldn’t go for it. He will spend 10k on a trip to Disney but balk at spending $5 to Uber to HS. That’s a guarantee.

I’d do that but my DH wouldn’t go for it. He will spend 10k on a trip to Disney but balk at spending $5 to Uber to HS. That’s a guarantee.

My husband is the opposite. He LOVES ride shares and is always suggesting them. He was the one who wanted to take it to DHS rather than wait for the bus. And we even had a car! He didn't want to have to drive back afterwards.

Epcot definitely like walking, but for HS, I just do not want to add almost another mile of walking to my day especially if it's during the summer where the humidity is usually at 90% + most mornings. Our family did the morning walk once and the other times we have taken the boat:) The boat early in the morning never felt too hot to us.

We walk can not comment on the time if I recall it is about a mile from BW so a little further from YC. I will add a warning.... A passing thunderstorm will somewhat flood the sidewalks and your feet will get soaked. We have spent time standing under the overpass more than once. If you see rain coming go back to the park and wait it out, Boats and skyliner will not run as well. Otherwise for us the walk is fine both ways. The boat is sloooooooooow but a nice ride especially if you can get the outside back seats as the so called AC inside is not much better than a fan. The boat will stop at the swan first then YC/BC then BW or reverse when going there starting with YC/BC the stops are what makes walking faster for most some just walk faster then the boat moves.

I'm in the minority, but I prefer the Skyliner. Even with the transfer, it was easy and enjoyable.

We walk so much at Disney that we do whatever we can to "conserve" our energy and feet. Family rule at Disney: Don't stand when you can sit! We would walk to Epcot but take the boat to DHS.

I always just took the boat to HS. I was debating about walking in July when we went, but it was too hot and we walked too much already lol.

We always walk to Epcot though

I’m team walk but if the boat is right there when leaving HS we might jump on. It’s so slow though - not to mention hot, noisy and sometimes smelly. I usually regret not walking even if I’m exhausted.

All depends on the weather and how you deal with it.

Walking will almost always be faster, even for a slow walker.

And it's a pleasant enough walk. But for some people walking that long in the heat is unbearable. For others it's not a problem. You know you and your family.

If you start the walk and then realize it was a mistake, you can always stop at the Swan/Dolphin and catch a boat there.

We’re staying at the YC and I’m certain we will walk to Epcot but not sure about HS. We’ll be rope dropping and I usually get too impatient to wait for the boat in the morning.

How is the walk from the YC to HS for those who have done it?
We walk for rope drop and then often boat at least to the 1st stop back (boat takes forever with the stops.) The morning walk for rope drop is not too bad.

We’ve stayed at YC once (will be there next year), and found either to work. As others said, definitely walk to Epcot. Maybe if the boat is there and loading I’d ride it, but it’s honestly just easier to walk.

HS is a toss up. I’d say boat unless you just miss it. Here’s our experience though. Our first morning we just missed the boat loading at YC so we walked. We beat the boat to HS. The next morning the boat was at boardwalk and heading to YC. We decided to walk again since it was quicker. Well the boat beat us that day. So not sure if something held it up the first day or if the second maybe it was full or something and didn’t go to swan/dolphin. The third morning we went to HS we just waited for the boat.

It’s a nice easy walk, but with so much walking already I vote for saving the mile on your feet. Like I said, I would maybe walk if we just missed it though because I’m not sure how quickly another would come.
Walking is faster, period. I've timed it many, many times.
Are you sure you beat that same boat and didn't just beat a boat that was in front of the one at BWI? It's entirely possible there was a boat at Swan/Dolphin already and the boat you saw at BWI was not the one you saw at HS. I've gotten on the boat at BWI more than once and had to wait to dock at Swan/Dolphin because there was already a boat there. Especially in the mornings or closings when they run more frequent boats.

For us it depends on the temperature, our feet and the wait for the boat. Leaving HS at night it's definitely faster to walk. You can end up waiting a long time for the boat because it will be full and you'll have to wait for the next one or the next one or the next one. At that point, my feet may be sore and I'm tired but I find it's better to be moving than standing in so we usually end up walking back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter