Waitlist with no points

sab53085

Mouseketeer
What happens when you make a waitlist request with no points available? I just made a phantom one (and then immediately cancelled) and figured it would give me an error, but it went through even after choosing do not borrow and do not replace existing reservation.

Once a waitlist matches, it has to be processed by a CM.

If you don’t have the points, when the CM goes to process a match, it will simply be canceled.

I figured this was the case. Any idea why they would let it go through at all? Seems like more work for them.

edit: I suppose you could make one with anticipation of canceling a different reservation in the future?

I figured this was the case. Any idea why they would let it go through at all? Seems like more work for them.

edit: I suppose you could make one with anticipation of canceling a different reservation in the future?

You have the option to replace a trio which would bs using the points from that.

The system simple allows you to request it but without the points, it can’t be filled. I’d imagine most people would not put them in if they didn’t have the points needed.

But, even so, the match is just a hold until the CM goes to book so not really a big deal that the system allows you to out one in.

Can you purchase OTP for a waitlist , or do you have to buy them on an alternate reservation that would be swapped?

Can you purchase OTP for a waitlist , or do you have to buy them on an alternate reservation that would be swapped?
Alternate reservation. You cannot buy and hold OTUP without a booking, and they won't call and ask about OTUP if a waitlist matches.

I have them call to see if I would like to cancel something else when the waitlist came through and there were not enough points.

I have them call to see if I would like to cancel something else when the waitlist came through and there were not enough points.
And they do all you? Did not know they would do that!

I don’t think this is always the case. But, it’s good to know that maybe they have changed things to reach out to owners!

I've called them when this happens. Not sure if it still works like this, but a few years ago this happened a few times. I'm stalking for a reservation, then my waitlist disappears from my dashboard, so I call to check on it. It disappeared because it matched, but a real person hadn't fulfilled it yet, so they let me cancel something else in order to fill the waitlist.

I've called them when this happens. Not sure if it still works like this, but a few years ago this happened a few times. I'm stalking for a reservation, then my waitlist disappears from my dashboard, so I call to check on it. It disappeared because it matched, but a real person hadn't fulfilled it yet, so they let me cancel something else in order to fill the waitlist.
The waitlist doesn't disappear anymore, so there's no indication that it's matched before it's processed.

I created a WL about 2 months ago (selected don't borrow or replace), & unintentionally used those current points for another reservation.
MS just called me a few days ago & asked if I wanted to borrow the points as the WL came through.
While i wouldn't expect it all the time (especially if i didn't answer the phone), i'm happy that the effort was made.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter