Waiting in lines with toddlers?

Oh boy, you had to say the B word!!!;) .

I thought the same thing...I don't think some posters realize how controversial the bubble topic is around here. I never even gave it much thought as my kids don't like bubbles, but I've been around long enough to know bubbles cause some interesting threads!

If the sign says more than 20 min I don't get in it. We started taking my son at 3 months and have been many times since never took anything in line.

This. We also have taken our young children many times (ages 5 months, 21 months, 2.5 yrs, and two trips at age 3 yrs for our 4 yr old and ages 5 months, 13 months, and 19 months for our 2 year old). There is no ride that is really worth waiting in line for longer than 20 minutes with very young children unless the child is sleeping in your arms/carrier or you happen to have exceptionally docile, calm, good children (certainly not mine :rotfl2:)

The only time we have waited longer than that was trying to make Toy Story at rope drop the last time we went. We didn't know what to expect, but we still ended up waiting 45 mins to an hour. Thankfully at the beginning of the day, the boys weren't cranky yet and there's so much to see and talk about in that line, but would I do that again? heck no.

With a 1 year old and a 4 year old ... does bringing an ipad for lines at the happiest place on earth make me a bad parent??

No. But it probably won't be necessary. There is so much to look at, and many of the queues are interactive. If you do bring it, make sure you have an otter box type case.

We have a Nabi Jr. and it is great. Drop it, shake it, whatever - it's a durable little thing with lots of educational games on it. But for the lines, we didn't need too much for the babe. Snacks are good - especially the squeeze pouches. But sometimes he would just hold his little hand up and push the pouch away. Graham crackers and M&Ms are winners, but then you wind up with a sugar rush kid. Bring the little water sippy cup, especially one that is leak proof. That is the best as well.

Also (and I hate saying this) bring a leash. The monkey backpack one is great. That way, if you get tired of holding the kid, you can at least put them down for a bit and they won't get away from you! I was opposed to leashes before boy was born, but I am so thankful now because boy is a runner and likes to be on the ground.

Overall, the lines are so freakin' exciting for a two year old - even if it's a brick wall - that we really didn't need much. Boy was excited about the texture of the walls, the anticipation of the ride, the music, etc - being bored wasn't an issue.

If the sign says more than 20 min I don't get in it. We started taking my son at 3 months and have been many times since never took anything in line.

Tritto this. We just came back from ds's 3rd birthday trip, he's been going since 5mo. I don't bring anything for line entertainment, we just don't get in any line over 20 minutes. Well, we made one exception, the Jingle Cruise line was posted as 25 minutes, he loves that ride and was in a good mood so I knew he would be okay.

I wouldn't bring an ipad into the parks just because I wouldn't want it to get broken, wet, or stolen. Keep an eye on the ride wait times, you can easily look it up on your smart phone. Go early, bring snacks, do the popular rides that fill up fast first or book your FP+ accordingly. Like other posters suggested, you can bring small things to keep them occupied or play games like I Spy. I'd say maybe bring an activity book or coloring book but if your two year old has a penchant for throwing things, many a crayon may be lost. ;)

Another vote for lots of snacks!! Our last trip was two years ago, but we definitely ran out of snacks quicker than I thought we would. And change them up....different little snacks for each line. Fruit snacks, squeeze apple sauce, goldfish, etc. My kids always want to eat when they get bored!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter