• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wait until placeholder is available or book opening day?

lovewdwfun

Mouseketeer
I’d like to get two cabins for a summer 2023 cruise to Europe or Alaska, booking through Costco. We will be going on a cruise at the end of May so will be able to get a discount on a future cruise then.

Does it make sense to book opening day or just wait a few weeks until I have the discount?

Also, has anyone booked opening day through Costco, cancelled the rooms, and rebooked them with the discount? Im wondering if it makes sense to book the rooms we want right away and then essentially transfer them to a new reservation with the discount.

Thanks!

Also, has anyone booked opening day through Costco, cancelled the rooms, and rebooked them with the discount?
Yes this is what you should do. That way the rooms you want will not be sold to someone else, and if the price goes up more than 10% (usually not likely, but possible for some itineraries) you can keep the opening day price and skip the placeholder.

Opening day 100%. Then you can always price it up when you get your placeholder and see if the 10% is a bigger discount than the increased cruise cost.

I’d like to get two cabins for a summer 2023 cruise to Europe or Alaska, booking through Costco. We will be going on a cruise at the end of May so will be able to get a discount on a future cruise then.

Does it make sense to book opening day or just wait a few weeks until I have the discount?

Also, has anyone booked opening day through Costco, cancelled the rooms, and rebooked them with the discount? Im wondering if it makes sense to book the rooms we want right away and then essentially transfer them to a new reservation with the discount.

Thanks!
Costco always seems to have higher prices when I check.

Costco always seems to have higher prices when I check.

That's odd, because Costco pricing is a direct reflection of DCL pricing (not necessarily true for all other cruise lines though). We always book through them for DCL. Not always for other lines, the perks aren't as good.

Maybe a silly question - do we have an idea for when Spring/Summer 2023 sailings release will be? Super excited for it but def feel a bit in the dark.

That's odd, because Costco pricing is a direct reflection of DCL pricing (not necessarily true for all other cruise lines though). We always book through them for DCL. Not always for other lines, the perks aren't as good.
I just checked again for my upcoming cruise and Costco was $300 more than what DCL is currently showing.

Word of caution with Costco -- they don't open until 7:00 pacific time, which is 10 am eastern time. So when new cruises drop, the phone lines are already open for people to book with DCL before Costco even opens. We learned that the hard way. Plus when we call them for help, we frequently wait to get ahold of Costco, then wait while they wait on hold for Disney. I know a lot of this is COVID related impacts, but we are switching to a Dreams travel agent after our struggles in the last year.

Word of caution with Costco -- they don't open until 7:00 pacific time, which is 10 am eastern time. So when new cruises drop, the phone lines are already open for people to book with DCL before Costco even opens. We learned that the hard way. Plus when we call them for help, we frequently wait to get ahold of Costco, then wait while they wait on hold for Disney. I know a lot of this is COVID related impacts, but we are switching to a Dreams travel agent after our struggles in the last year.

I think Covid has affected it but right now their site (at least the Canadian one) does say they are open at 8am eastern, though, that may well be after DCL opens, I don't know.

Can anyone explain why placeholder discount isn't available for you on opening day? I feel like I'm missing something.

Can anyone explain why placeholder discount isn't available for you on opening day? I feel like I'm missing something.
The OP doesn't currently have a placeholder. They want to book a placeholder on their upcoming cruise and wanted to know if they should book opening day at full price or wait until after their upcoming cruise to use their placeholder for the second cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter