Wait times are so low- did anybody here change/cancel bc of dorian? When do you think things will pick up again?

I think it did have a bit of an impact, as several people adjusted their plans because of the storm. I also think a lot of people have purposely not gone this past week or two because of SW:GE opening. The fear of the parks being crowded has caused a lot of people to push back their trips, which has in turn reduced the crowd level, lol. I wouldn't get too used to it, but it is a good time to do stuff if you are able to.

I think both the hurricane and people wanting to "avoid" Galaxy's Edge during the first few weeks both factor into it. But it's strange to me that people would see the success of GE in California and still be worried about Florida? I don't know. Our dates are Sep 15-26th so we are obsessively watching wait times haha.

Adding to these factors, this is usually one of the slower times of year anyway. The last week of August and the first week of September are back-to-school periods for many kids in the USA, so a lot of parents aren't going to pull their kids out of classes during the first two weeks. I think it starts to get busier later in September. It used to be considered one of the "off-seasons" -- not that there are true off-seasons anymore. The Epcot Food & Wine Festival was originally established to drum up some excitement during one of the slowest times of the year. It quickly became one of the most popular draws so they keep expanding it.

Yes, Dorian and the typically slower early Sept are a factor on some level, in my opinion.

But let’s not forget the seriously big park and EMH hours increase going on right now. It’s a GREAT time to be at WDW, especially as an EMH-eligible guest. More available park hours = more options for touring and spreading your park time around = more people on different strategies.

For some data, this is 9/1-9/7 total hours 2018 vs 2019. Let’s enjoy this while it lasts, as this has certainly not been the trend before this.

91-97.png

And there are gobs of things to do all over property - a whole new land making DHS far more appealing to some, after hours events, MNSSHPs, Food & Wine Festival, etc.

But overall I tend to think as we get deeper into fall these current low waits will fade and things will be on a more ‘normal’ “it’s crowded” level around here. :-)

I postponed my trip but only by 2 days. I am also wondering how things will be this weekend and into Monday. I saw there was heat index of 114 today and that might keep locals away too. I am cautiously optimistic that I can get out of the parks having done most attractions by 3 when it is really cooking. It is supposed to continue to scortch while I am there.

I postponed my trip but only by 2 days. I am also wondering how things will be this weekend and into Monday. I saw there was heat index of 114 today and that might keep locals away too. I am cautiously optimistic that I can get out of the parks having done most attractions by 3 when it is really cooking. It is supposed to continue to scortch while I am there.
Right there with ya.. We are heading down Saturday.. I know it's Florida.. I know it's still summer.. But I was hoping it wasnt going to be 95+ when we were there.. Oh well... Better than being at work I guess.. I'm hoping crowds stay down another couple weeks lol.. As I posted before, they probably wont, because thats just my luck..

We went last Thursday the 29th through Labor Day and it was the lowest crowds I have ever seen. I think Dorian played a factor but wait times were crazy low on Thursday even. I thought we were crazy going over SWGE opening, Food and Wine opening, and a holiday weekend. I do think avoiding SWGE opening had just as much as a factor in keeping people away as the storm at the beginning of our trip. Even CMs at the MK told us to thank SWGE for MK being empty on Thursday and Friday. I wondered if a lot of people rescheduled due to Dorian and will be coming later in September...

Touring Plans looks at the wait times each day and assesses the actual crowd levels after the fact. 32 of the first 34 days after SW:GE opened at DLR, at least 1 of the 2 parks there was a 1 or 2. Disneyland was a 1 or a 2 on 31 of those 34 days. Then 4th of July happened and the crowds started to come back; they had 9s and 10s by mid July.

The difference here is that September mostly registers as 1s and 2s on the crowd calendar anyway. I happened to write down the Pre-SWGE announcement Touring Plans crowd calendar for the 15th-19th of September, and I remember specifically that this was much busier than their predictions for Labor Day week (which I didn't write down):
September 15thSeptember 16thSeptember 17thSeptember 18thSeptember 19th
MK
1​
3​
1​
2​
2​
Epcot
1​
1​
3​
2​
2​
Hollywood Studios
2​
1​
1​
1​
1​
Animal Kingdom
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​

So I'm going to guess October is when the crowds will start to pick up. And Thanksgiving is when they'll completely normalize.

This scorching heat is what is making me nervous about going. We are driving down from Chicago. I'm not a spring chicken anymore and paranoid of heat exhaustion/heat stroke.
I actually changed a lot of our plans to be at parks early morning and leave by noon to go back to the room and continue whatever parks I can late evening. This is not going to be the best of trips

The fact that hurricane was to hit Florida as a category 5 or 4 and Disney waiving fees associated with changing reservations helped. The fear of gas shortages, if the hurricane did hit. Also, don't forget airlines allowed change fees and MCO (Orlando) announced "ceasing operations" at least twice during depending hurricanes, caused a lot of people to take precautions.

i think Disney will pick up crowd levels next week. Anyone who has reservations might have kept them. Some who postponed due to hurricane may have rescheduled starting next week.

We were supposed to arrive on the 3rd but because of the hurricane and airport closing we came early, on the 1st. Crowds have been great. Walled right on FOP today and everything else in AK. The heat and humidity is horrible, but loving everything else.

We drive down tomorrow and arrive Saturday. Our trip has always been planned for this timeframe, but definitely wondering if we will see the same low crowds there were today. WOuld be nice.

I hope it stays that way 8-) we fly in Sat evening and start our park days on Mon. (our original date) My husband and I were just talking about this. Schools just started here in the NE, hurricane and maybe people waiting for SWGE to be fully opened? My main concern is the heat, 114 heat index?:oops:

Can everyone coming this weekend wait until next Tuesday when we leave. Thanks haha

Crowds have been amazing this whole trip. Tonight for F&W hit roughly 8 booths in a span of an hour with basically no wait at any of them in the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter