Vwl

webprinter

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know when the villas were last rennovated? If it has been a while, what kind of condition are they in? We have reservations in late Sept? Thanks.

There have been a few soft good replacements but no refurbishment. I believe there will be a refurbishment in 2014, though.

Does anyone know when the villas were last rennovated? If it has been a while, what kind of condition are they in? We have reservations in late Sept? Thanks.

When we stayed at VWL in January, they were renovating a two bedroom lockoff and the corridor space directly outside the villa on our floor. I did not like the new wallpaper or carpet they installed in the corridor. Not nearly as pretty as the old. The carpet was removed from the living space and replaced with woodlook flooring. They may have just been creating something to show the big wigs. But it wasn't nearly as pretty as our villa. Which was in great shape.

There have been no renovations since they were opened about 2001 since members pay for all renovations.

as a VWL owner since 2001-I think that is a mighty long time to go with out a full renovation and the units I have been in recently do need it. I am not talking about updating-but basic structural repair esp in the bathrooms. The floor tiles particularly-seems like the concrete bed the tiles are laid in is crumbling out from under the bathroom tiles in more than one unit I have been in. When you walk on the tiles it sounds like there are potato chips on the floor (there aren't). The appliances were, at best, in fair condition. The bed spread was kind of "icky" (I know that is a soft goods item). As an owner I am willing to pay more in dues for more frequent updates and repairs and better housekeeping.
I know that many disagree but...it might be a good topic for discussion. How many owners would be willing to pay more in dues for an update schedule that more closely compares to the schedule for a regular hotel? I know that I would not normally be inclined to vacation at a hotel that has not been renovated or updated in 13 years! I guess when SSR has a renovation before VWL as it seems it did-I have to wonder what dictates the schedule-I know VWL is tiny compared to SSR but that also means less rooms to deal with.

I found this info somewhere in my travels:

"Hoteliers say there are basically three cycles in a hotel's life: refurbishment, basic renovation and complete renovation.

The first cycle can occur in the first three to six years: a refurbishment of furniture, fixtures and equipment, averaging between $8,000 and $12,000 a room.

After about 12 years comes basic renovation, averaging $20,000 per room. Finally, after about 50 years, comes a massive renovation, which can cost upwards of $100,000 per room."

....I found this info somewhere in my travels:

"Hoteliers say there are basically three cycles in a hotel's life: refurbishment, basic renovation and complete renovation.

The first cycle can occur in the first three to six years: a refurbishment of furniture, fixtures and equipment, averaging between $8,000 and $12,000 a room.

After about 12 years comes basic renovation, averaging $20,000 per room. Finally, after about 50 years, comes a massive renovation, which can cost upwards of $100,000 per room."

Only VWL is not a hotel, it's a timeshare and has much higher occupancy than a hotel room. OKW had it's first refurbishment in 2010, about 17 years after it opened. And they did almost nothing in the bathroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter