• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Kati and I will be arriving Tuesday at BRV. Don't know who will still be there but if you can let us know and we will hopefully see someone for a few if possible.
I know I have not been on in a long time. Believe me my job has been crazy lately and I do lurk occasionally, but we are so looking forward to this break to our favorite place.

twokats
You know the deal, once a Groupie, always a Groupie! Tell Kati hello and give a her a big hug from the jimmytammy clan:hug:
Y'all have a great trip!

Groupie Meet at VWL Lobby tonight!

View attachment 757132

Look at all those lovely faces! So nice to see you all. I really miss groupie meets.

I didn't check page one. Do we still have a vacation list? I'll be there 1st week of Dec. Maybe there will be others too?

Heading down memory lane...Your 1st DVC trip, where did you stay and what's a memory (or memories) you took away with you

We stayed at VWL(we bought site unseen)and I remember pulling up to the Lodge in a town car service and getting that wow factor. Then stepping inside and seeing the mass enormity of the place, looking up and just being overwhelmed with emotions that we owned a small piece of this place

Our first on property stay was at WL. I cried when I walked into the lobby. I have never had that kind of reaction to any other hotel. My first DVC member stay was OKW. It was also my first F&W festival. Back in the good old days when food & wine seminars were free. Who else remembers that? I've been to F&W every year since. That was 2008. This year will be the first I will miss since then. What I remember about walking into our room at OKW was wow this room is huge! :laughing: It was a bit of a letdown going into other 1 bedrooms after that. Oh & that giant balcony! Loved it.

So I'm officially under agreement for my BLT contract. Paperwork was submitted the day after the offer was accepted. This one moved quickly. I'm not worried about ROFR because according to the broker the ROFR monster has been asleep for months. If all goes well we should be closed end of June if not sooner.

We're off to Italy on Thu so I probably won't have time to come on again before then. Be back end of May with pictures (and a suitcase full of wine & leather goods). :laughing:

Have fun friends in WDW now! Take care groupie friends. :wave:

Kati and I will be arriving Tuesday at BRV. Don't know who will still be there but if you can let us know and we will hopefully see someone for a few if possible.
I know I have not been on in a long time. Believe me my job has been crazy lately and I do lurk occasionally, but we are so looking forward to this break to our favorite place.
Hi Twokats!!!!! So glad you checked in.

Look at all those lovely faces! So nice to see you all. I really miss groupie meets.

I didn't check page one. Do we still have a vacation list? I'll be there 1st week of Dec. Maybe there will be others too?
Yes! Just shoot me a note with the dates and resort, and I'll be happy to add you.

Our first on property stay was at WL. I cried when I walked into the lobby. I have never had that kind of reaction to any other hotel. My first DVC member stay was OKW. It was also my first F&W festival. Back in the good old days when food & wine seminars were free. Who else remembers that? I've been to F&W every year since. That was 2008. This year will be the first I will miss since then. What I remember about walking into our room at OKW was wow this room is huge! :laughing: It was a bit of a letdown going into other 1 bedrooms after that. Oh & that giant balcony! Loved it.

So I'm officially under agreement for my BLT contract. Paperwork was submitted the day after the offer was accepted. This one moved quickly. I'm not worried about ROFR because according to the broker the ROFR monster has been asleep for months. If all goes well we should be closed end of June if not sooner.

We're off to Italy on Thu so I probably won't have time to come on again before then. Be back end of May with pictures (and a suitcase full of wine & leather goods). :laughing:

Have fun friends in WDW now! Take care groupie friends. :wave:
Those memories are indicative so much of mine too. 1st time in OKW 1 bed, I was spoiled :teeth:

Italy, wow, that's awesome! Would love to go someday along with France, and Germany, Ireland, Scotland and another trip back to England.
Have fun!!

Heading down memory lane...Your 1st DVC trip, where did you stay and what's a memory (or memories) you took away with you

We stayed at VWL(we bought site unseen)and I remember pulling up to the Lodge in a town car service and getting that wow factor. Then stepping inside and seeing the mass enormity of the place, looking up and just being overwhelmed with emotions that we owned a small piece of this place
Our 1st DVC stay was at Kidani in December. Because the contract was loaded when purchased this was the 1st of 3 trips planned in that 1st year of ownership. I had just been in Fort Myers over Thanksgiving saying goodbye to my mom who was in hospice with cancer. So, I remember telling her that we would find ourselves if Florida regularly as DVC owners (I told her at that time but didn’t tell my dad until sometime later).

I remember loving the resort, but not as much the location. Animals were neat and the pool area was exceptional. I also noted the parking area underneath and determined it would be a good resort if we ever drove.

My first DVC trip wasn't actually as a DVC member. We had traveled to Florida in late spring to visit my oldest daughter who was going to college in Melbourne. and we stayed for three nights in what we thought would be a nice Holiday Inn sitting right on the beach. Well, the a/c barely worked; the room was in dire need of a refurbishment; their idea of a kitchenette was a beat up microwave and mini-fridge that might have kept things around 55F; sand ground into the carpet in several places. It was a hot week in FL, and add to that the need to be in for naps and earlier bedtimes due to my youngest daughter (all of three at the time), and it was just not a great experience.

We had also scheduled three nights at WDW, the first trip for all of us. I had no idea what DVC even meant at the time, and I simply wanted a resort we'd enjoy thematically and size-wise (1BR w/kitchen). I did a lot of research, and we tried to get I think both the Boardwalk and Grand Floridian as a cash reservation. Neither were open the dates we needed, so we had to "settle" for VWL. We walked into the main lobby and were, of course, amazed at the architecture; however, that was just the lobby, and we were beat after three nights in subpar accommodations in Melbourne. We walked into the mini-lobby in the VWL building, and said, "wow, it's the same here, but what about the room?" When we opened the door to the room--I want to say 3523--we were astonished--quiet, clean, and cool! We fell in love with WL right then and there.

At that time, there was a DVC rep in the mini-lobby, and we stopped by to talk with him the day before we left. He arranged a quick tour of the SSR suites (it was still under construction) the next morning before our flight later that day, and even arranged to take us to the airport to make our flight (we had a rental car so no need). We were impressed, got all the info we needed from the sales rep who did not hard sell us, and went home. A few days later, we had signed all the paperwork and become DVC members at SSR. (Epilogue: That Holiday Inn was severely damaged in a subsequent hurricane a few years later and was eventually razed. Not sure what sits there now.)

I need to share this
Yesterday, my Dad, a Korean War vet and my cousin, a Vietnam Vet, went on the Triad Flight of Honor to DC to see all the monuments, including, Arlington, Air Force, WW2, Korea and Vietnam. It was a cool moment for my Dad, one that he really got excited about(my Dad doesn't excite easily) :goodvibes

If you are so inclined to watch it, here is a link
https://www.wxii12.com/article/near...-in-first-triad-honor-flight-of-2023/43787437

There is a still shot of several Vets standing together at the Korea Memorial, my Dad is 2nd from left in back standing

My Dad is 2nd form left standing at the Korea memorial
Other picture is my cousin Jeff, Vietnam vet standing beside my Dad

I was telling a co worker how my family has revolution, civil war, ww1, ww2, Korea and Vietnam vets all interspersed among us
He jokingly followed up with, “so in other words, you people can’t get along with anybody”:rotfl2:

Attachments

• 026D90D2-1B15-48A3-A11B-9EDF9D58493C.jpeg
    026D90D2-1B15-48A3-A11B-9EDF9D58493C.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 6E39E4E1-B4EF-48CA-BACB-6C5C8B011BA7.jpeg
    6E39E4E1-B4EF-48CA-BACB-6C5C8B011BA7.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 3
I need to share this
Yesterday, my Dad, a Korean War vet and my cousin, a Vietnam Vet, went on the Triad Flight of Honor to DC to see all the monuments, including, Arlington, Air Force, WW2, Korea and Vietnam. It was a cool moment for my Dad, one that he really got excited about(my Dad doesn't excite easily) :goodvibes

If you are so inclined to watch it, here is a link
https://www.wxii12.com/article/near...-in-first-triad-honor-flight-of-2023/43787437

There is a still shot of several Vets standing together at the Korea Memorial, my Dad is 2nd from left in back standing
I absolutely love this! Had a friend who accompanied her Dad on one of those. Just an amazing thing.

My Dad is 2nd form left standing at the Korea memorial
Other picture is my cousin Jeff, Vietnam vet standing beside my Dad

I was telling a co worker how my family has revolution, civil war, ww1, ww2, Korea and Vietnam vets all interspersed among us
He jokingly followed up with, “so in other words, you people can’t get along with anybody”:rotfl2:
That is so awesome. My Dad was a Vietnam vet and I'm so thankful for the times I was able to visit DC with him.

Hey guys I have a question for you. Have any of you ever strained your rib muscles? I'm having a really hard time and feeling really discouraged. I have been dealing with this since Christmas. Not looking for medical advice. Just wondering what someone else's experience was like.

Have you had a cough? I ask because I've coughed a rib head out before. Had to visit the chiropractor. Hurt to breathe.

If you have a Chiro, I'd pay them a visit. If not, I'd go to GP and see what they advise. That's a long time to deal with a pulled muscle. I'd be losing my mind.

If you have a Chiro, I'd pay them a visit. If not, I'd go to GP and see what they advise. That's a long time to deal with a pulled muscle. I'd be losing my mind.
I have another appointment on Monday. It will be my 4th overall. I have also been doing PT. Yeah I'm really frustrated that I'm still dealing with it.

I have another appointment on Monday. It will be my 4th overall. I have also been doing PT. Yeah I'm really frustrated that I'm still dealing with it.
Is the pain getting better? Is it intermittent or constant?

I ask as I have weak ligaments (due to many treatments for asthma) and the lower ribs have been an issue for over 25 years depending on how I move about. For me the solution would be surgery, but I'm not up for that, so I've accepted there are just some ways I cannot move.

(My GP has no idea what slipping rib is. He offered to set me up with PT. 😂)

Last edited:
Is the pain getting better? Is it intermittent or constant?

I ask as I have weak ligaments (due to many treatments for asthma) and the lower ribs have been an issue for over 25 years depending on how I move about. For me the solution would be surgery, but I'm not up for that, So I've accepted there are just some ways I cannot move.

My GP has no idea what slipping rib is. He offered to set me up with PT. 😂
It was better than it was at the beginning and getting a bit better but I had a big setback today. I still was having some pain and had to still use a muscle relaxer and pain cream. I was starting to think maybe I was getting there even though it was taking forever. It had gotten to the point where it was very intermittent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter