• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hi all...just back for a glorious 10 days. Hope everyone is well and safe after all the weird weather lately.

I'll start by saying...DH is no longer interested in selling our points.

We started out at AKV - our first stay- and it was terrific. We were savannah view and it did not disappoint. We managed to get in to Sanaa - also a first - and did the MK after hours event. Just a great way to go. Longest wait was 30 min for SDMT. Most rides were walk on.

From there we moved to BWV - our first stay on our points. Another great stay. We got a same day reservation for Cape May and enjoyed our meal. We hopped from AK to EP which worked out really well. Rope dropped Navi River Journey, got to see Festival of the Lion King and managed to get in immediately to Nomad Lounge - another first. Thoroughly enjoyed our time there. We did the food booths at F&G during the day then went back for EEH to ride some rides.

Then we moved to our beloved lodge. Let me just say they hit it out of the park with the refurb. We were in a studio and everything is just so beautiful. I didn't even mind the gray chairs. They play better in person than in a picture. The other lobby furniture in the Villas was also redone and just looks so bright and cheerful.

We didn't miss the table and chairs, using the coffee table pulled up as a table. We did miss the extra chair and wondered where the 3&4th person would sit when chilling in the room. Seating 3 on the couch is crowded, 4 would be impossible.

We're bummed they took out the ceiling fans but were prepared due to someone here. DH always travels (and he travels a lot for work) with a small fan. That really helped. The trash can/recycling was also an awkward box not like a normal trash can. It's small and divided, one side for trash, one for recycling. Interesting thing is, we were there when a Mousekeeping came to collect it and they put it all in the same trash bag.

Those were really the only 2 things we really minded. The sings bathroom sink wasn't that big of a deal because we never get ready at the same time. We usually take shifts.

We did the after-hours even at HS and really enjoyed ourselves. We rode RotR and loved it. Even got a last minute reservation at Ogas. Most rides were walk on or very short wait with the exception of RotR and SR.

We also snagged a same day reservation for Steakhouse 71. It was VERY good.

We left home with zero dinner reservations and managed to tick off quite a few boxes. It can be done if you're flexible and persistent. I was checking several times a day to see if something opened up that worked for us.

Overall, one of our best trips yet. The magic is still there. It's not the suits making boneheaded decisions that bring the magic and make WDW special; it's the cast members. And they're still the best in the world at what they do.

@sleepydog25 Could you please put me down for a stay at VWL from April 22nd-May 3rd? Thanks!
Oops - and also Oct 14-21st at AKV - Jambo. :)

I see 2 other groupies will be at WDW during that time. One of them (@Granny ) will even be at VWL too!
Dang - we’ll just miss you - we arrive May 4 - 3 nights at BWV and then onto BLT - leaving May 12…going to try for the DVC MM event at HS (5/11)

Dang - we’ll just miss you - we arrive May 4 - 3 nights at BWV and then onto BLT - leaving May 12…going to try for the DVC MM event at HS (5/11)
We’ll just miss you too Tricia! ☹️ Kathy maybe we can plan a Groupie meet!

Suzabella - "We're bummed they took out the ceiling fans but were prepared due to someone here. DH always travels (and he travels a lot for work) with a small fan. That really helped. The trash can/recycling was also an awkward box not like a normal trash can. It's small and divided, one side for trash, one for recycling. Interesting thing is, we were there when a Mousekeeping came to collect it and they put it all in the same trash bag."

I doubt Disney actually recycles much, at least from trash in the rooms. We didn't at HHI, certainly. Yes, there are blue containers with blue trash bags to put recyclables into, and they even have a blue recycle bin under each building there, too. However, all the trash gets put into one trash compactor--there is no sorting or anything of the kind. The only thing that gets recycled at HHI (and likely all WDW resorts) is cardboard from packaging that we open such as boxes full of paper towels, toilet paper, soaps, etc. There are two bins for cardboard next to the compactor.

Why is this? Well, in all fairness, most people don't separate their recyclables from the rest of their garbage, and there is no way Disney is going to hire personnel to sort through garbage. Housekeepers certainly don't have time to do it, either. Does Disney like for people to think they recycle? Absolutely. The truth is they don't nearly as much as people think.

@KAT4DISNEY You got it!

I'm confused - thought we were doing places in Disney world 🤷‍♀️ (although some letters like X will be hard)

M - Main Street USA

Suzabella - "We're bummed they took out the ceiling fans but were prepared due to someone here. DH always travels (and he travels a lot for work) with a small fan. That really helped. The trash can/recycling was also an awkward box not like a normal trash can. It's small and divided, one side for trash, one for recycling. Interesting thing is, we were there when a Mousekeeping came to collect it and they put it all in the same trash bag."

I doubt Disney actually recycles much, at least from trash in the rooms. We didn't at HHI, certainly. Yes, there are blue containers with blue trash bags to put recyclables into, and they even have a blue recycle bin under each building there, too. However, all the trash gets put into one trash compactor--there is no sorting or anything of the kind. The only thing that gets recycled at HHI (and likely all WDW resorts) is cardboard from packaging that we open such as boxes full of paper towels, toilet paper, soaps, etc. There are two bins for cardboard next to the compactor.

Why is this? Well, in all fairness, most people don't separate their recyclables from the rest of their garbage, and there is no way Disney is going to hire personnel to sort through garbage. Housekeepers certainly don't have time to do it, either. Does Disney like for people to think they recycle? Absolutely. The truth is they don't nearly as much as people think.

@KAT4DISNEY You got it!
Actually, years ago, there were people who sorted through the guest room trash and separated recyclables. It was people who were put on light duty for whatever reason. It was amazing how fast people recovered from their injuries when they found out they were going to have to sort trash outside - it was shaded. There was a "mini MRF (can't remember what it stands for, I think it was Materials Recycling Facility) behind the Cast services building at the CBR. No idea if it still happens today.

Final report on 1st trip to BLT. This is now our 2nd favorite resort. 2 baths in the 1BR was a big plus. Pool area and community room were very nice. I prefer staying in the MK area, so obviously another bonus. We avoided the scooters and powered through. Security clearance for EPCOT and MK a nice bonus as I previously stated. Loved the convenience of using the monorail and Steakhouse 71 is really good. Highly recommend the Ambrosia dessert. Really enjoyed a nice breeze off the lake sitting in the beach area on 2 occasions. Was successful on booking Virtual Queue on 4 occasions (2 Guardians & 2 TRON) so get up at 6:30, get your party set and start clicking “Refresh” continually starting at 6:58. Per a cast member we were advised to do this with cell service (go out on balcony or wherever you have 4 bars) — DO NOT USE RESORT WI-FI. We only paid for Individual Lightening Lanes for 7DMT & FOP. We only did Genie + on one MK day. Overall a great trip.

Just watched HEA being streamed by Resort TV. Kind of bittersweet. I know not a lot of people cared for Enchantment but I enjoyed them. They have a special memory for me of watching them on the walkway our first evening at BLT last year. Having said that though I have never seen HEA. The last time we had seen fireworks before last year it was still Wishes which I loved so much. I really want to be able to see HEA though. Gonna be years until that happens though. Unless I hit the lottery lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter