• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Re: the 1BR tour video mentioned above. . .

I don't hate it. It's a bit too antiseptic looking for my taste, although admittedly, I'm still stuck in the belief that what I bought into at VWL many years ago was way more rustic and I loved that since it was so very well themed. Sure, it was a bit dark, and some of the patterns were too rustic for some--but that's what appealed to me. It was different. Now, is this refurb nice? Sure. I liked the updated shower, the long soaking tub (though I will miss the jacuzzi tub), and the addition of the murphy bed. And there are nice touches that hint at the wilderness theme...but it doesn't transport me the way the old Lodge theming did. So, while I'm not actively disliking the renovation, I'm still a bit verklempt that Disney has opted to go away from strong thematic elements which used to be their stronghold. Now, it's more like "let's wink-wink at the theme and make this a version of a Marriott room." Just my opinion. pirate:

Last edited:

I don't hate it. It's a bit too antiseptic looking for my taste, although admittedly, I'm still stuck in the belief that what I bought into at VWL many years ago was way more rustic and I loved that since it was so very well themed. Sure, it was a bit dark, and some of the patterns were too rustic for some--but that's what appealed to me. It was different. Now, is this refurb nice? Sure. I liked the updated shower, the long soaking tub (though I will miss the jacuzzi tub), and the addition of the murphy bed. And there are nice touches that hint at the wilderness theme. . .but it doesn't transport me the way the old Lodge theming did. So, while I'm not actively disliking the renovation, I'm still a bit verklempt that Disney has opted to go away from strong thematic elements which used to be their stronghold. Now, it's more like "let's wink-wink at the theme and make this a version of a Marriott room." Just my opinion. pirate:
I can appreciate your thoughts on this. I think there are merits on both side of the coin. I myself also like heavy theming (which doesn't have to translate as dark). The new re-do is more of an 'elegant' Wilderness style; and I do think that it is better than the last re-do.

I don't hate it. It's a bit too antiseptic looking for my taste, although admittedly, I'm still stuck in the belief that what I bought into at VWL many years ago was way more rustic and I loved that since it was so very well themed. Sure, it was a bit dark, and some of the patterns were too rustic for some--but that's what appealed to me. It was different. Now, is this refurb nice? Sure. I liked the updated shower, the long soaking tub (though I will miss the jacuzzi tub), and the addition of the murphy bed. And there are nice touches that hint at the wilderness theme. . .but it doesn't transport me the way the old Lodge theming did. So, while I'm not actively disliking the renovation, I'm still a bit verklempt that Disney has opted to go away from strong thematic elements which used to be their stronghold. Now, it's more like "let's wink-wink at the theme and make this a version of a Marriott room." Just my opinion. pirate:
I totally agree with you. If this were a Marriott I would be thinking it was really nice. But not for the Lodge. Knowing just how well themed it used to be it is disappointing. I loved the heavy theming. You could only get a room like that in a National Park or a Disney. Now Disney's rooms are just like any other hotel. Can't think of a really good way to put this. In a sense they have taken away that feeling you would get of knowing you were not in the outside world because of how well themed the resorts were and have brought a bit of the outside world into the resorts.

I believe the missing Geese topiaries from the entrance road to WL have made a reappearance, but they're now in EPCOT's Canada pavilion for the 2023 Flower & Garden Festival.

mouse steps Just posted a video of them, and comparing they seem to be the same, just with a new coat of "feathers" and moss used to cover areas previously exposed.

Now:
1677620268158.png

Reminder as to what they looked like before:
DLF5133475-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Quite likely 'tis true, but the bits of the beak that are left exposed in the top photo seem rounder than the ones in the lower picture. Still, it would make sense for Disney to reuse items instead of replacing them or making new ones. Either way, they belong at the Lodge. . .hmmpf. pirate:
Seem to have been built Mr Potato Head style. The feet and tails are modified/removed too but the bodies, wing & neck angles, even the head shapes which are different from each other are the same as the old ones.

The only way Disney can convince me these were not goosenapped from WL will be if they produce & reinstall the old ones back at Wilderness Lodge while these are on display in EPCOT.

Anyone familiar with what plant they used for the wings? I'm tired of Disney using 80% natural, but not meaning live plants and calling them topiaries. I don't think anything on these is alive, not seeing any leaves browning.

The only way Disney can convince me these were not goosenapped from WL will be if they produce & reinstall the old ones back at Wilderness Lodge while these are on display in EPCOT.
twinklebug,
I say lets all band together and take a stand at the Horticulture Dept(I think I have seen it located on Western Way)and demand our Geese back!:teeth:

We popped into the Carolwood Pacific Railroad Room a couple of weeks ago during a CCV stay, and were sad to see that the very comfortable, padded, rocking chairs in front of the fire had been replaced by plain hard wooden ones. Does anybody know if this is a permanent change? Thx.

Happy weekend groupies! Lots to catch up with!

JT, you stepped into some quicksand (I thought they had filled all those quicksand holes between FW & the lodge but they apparently missed one..🤣). Just so ya know, I’ve heard similar concerns expressed elsewhere, but this thread is generally a safe haven from this type of stuff….hopefully it remains that way.

We are definitely gearing up for our end of March trip, and while I always prefer the lodge I am going to experience BLT theme park view. My daughter is being allowed to bring a friend, so the 2nd bathroom will be a big plus for a couple of 17 year old girls getting ready for the day..🤣

We will arrive on Sunday, and do the Villains Lair thing on the 1st night.
Then Epcot on Monday, MK on Tuesday, nighttime party at HS on Wednesday, AK on Thursday, and MK on Friday before our 8:40 PM departure back to Minneapolis. I’m feeling “old” heading into this trip. Joint pain is starting to be an issue (I’m only 58!), so daily krill oil and keeping ibuprofen and Aleve handy seem to be wise. But, my wife won’t be upset at me for racing around as I plan a sane pace while letting the seventeen year olds run wild for the most part. I’m actually looking forward to sitting on a few benches and watching folks stroll by. My only must do’s on this trip are GOTG since I haven’t done it, and I want to do Remy again as it really impressed me last trip.

I will officially miss watching the EWP from my balcony with a glass of wine, but good to try new things too I guess.

I don’t like the missing boat doing the loop between FW, WL, & Contemporary. I used that one a lot for Dining, shows, and monorail access. With it being gone, getting over to the lodge will be more challenging. Are their still boats running from MK to Contemporary, MK to GF, and MK to Poly?

Anyways, hope everyone is having a great day!

I don’t like the missing boat doing the loop between FW, WL, & Contemporary. I used that one a lot for Dining, shows, and monorail access. With it being gone, getting over to the lodge will be more challenging. Are their still boats running from MK to Contemporary, MK to GF, and MK to Poly?

Anyways, hope everyone is having a great day!
CR hasn't had boat service to MK for many years now. I can't recall exactly what year they ended it but I know I missed that. Now with them supposedly being the hangup with the Bay Lake boats - well, mad emoji's to them. :headache:

GF, Poly, FW and WL all still have the boat service to/from MK though.

You'll just have to enjoy the glass of wine while watching the fireworks from your balcony. Or maybe the EWP when it's in front of MK. Have fun!

JT, you stepped into some quicksand (I thought they had filled all those quicksand holes between FW & the lodge but they apparently missed one..🤣). Just so ya know, I’ve heard similar concerns expressed elsewhere, but this thread is generally a safe haven from this type of stuff….hopefully it remains that way.
Hey Ron
Its all good! I felt the need to stay away a bit, let it cool off and allow it to be a lesson learned on my part. There are times to back away, realize, others have indifferent feelings to me, and allow it to rest. Last thing I wish to do, be a part of upsetting the apple cart where this group is concerned. Its a safe place on the net and I will do what I can to keep it that way. :goodvibes

Sounds like you folks have a great trip coming up! Enjoy!!

BTW, I'm sorta in the same conundrum as you. We have ressies for VWL coming up in Oct for 2-2 bedrooms. Im hanging on to them for dear life as we approach next weekend to possibly move them to BLT. Dont get me wrong, I love BLT, but it aint VWL. The big reasons for the move, extra bathroom(as you mentioned) and the walk to MK. But I really want to stay at VWL as its been a really long time.

I’m staying with 4 friends in a two bedroom in VWL in December, but I really want to enjoy VWL with Tom, but with the two ECVs it hard for me to pull the trigger for the when you need busses.

MAYBE Flower and Garden next year.

The Character dinner at Artist Point gets a lot of good reviews. I think we would definitely want to do that when we do stay there.

Hey Ron
Its all good! I felt the need to stay away a bit, let it cool off and allow it to be a lesson learned on my part. There are times to back away, realize, others have indifferent feelings to me, and allow it to rest. Last thing I wish to do, be a part of upsetting the apple cart where this group is concerned. Its a safe place on the net and I will do what I can to keep it that way. :goodvibes

Sounds like you folks have a great trip coming up! Enjoy!!

BTW, I'm sorta in the same conundrum as you. We have ressies for VWL coming up in Oct for 2-2 bedrooms. Im hanging on to them for dear life as we approach next weekend to possibly move them to BLT. Dont get me wrong, I love BLT, but it aint VWL. The big reasons for the move, extra bathroom(as you mentioned) and the walk to MK. But I really want to stay at VWL as its been a really long time.
Typically, by the time I exit MK, I’m looking forward to the boat ride. So, I’m gonna have to get a second wind to trek back to BLT ….🤣

The resort monorail is not a bad option sometimes. :)
CR is it's 1st stop on the way back from MK.
Yes, except the walk to the monorail isn't much shorter than the walk back to BLT (if it even is), especially since you need to walk back to BLT from the CR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter