VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Twinklebug, I could of written this post! Maybe we met in the 70's? We camped at Fort Wilderness when I was a kid. We lived in Florida, so we would at times spend weekends at the Fort. I remember the train (I have a picture of it somewhere that I actually think I posted on here once). Funny thing is that as a child, I don't think I realized that we were even on the same property with the Magic Kingdom! :) We had a pop up camper and camping was a way for us to travel cheaply. We bought an RV last year, and we have our first Fort Wilderness reservations in November. I'm probably more excited about that trip, than the one we have at the end of March. I regret that my kids will never get to experience it. I keep hoping that they might get to show up for a few days, but they all have other places to be at this age. Now that I'm retired from teaching, I've contemplated doing the Disney travel agent thing. Let me know if you find out anything worth looking into.

Granny, I sure hope that next trip works out for you and your wife. I know several groupies have had to cancel, but your input here is still what makes this thread a great place to come back to. Sleepy, I guess I was MIA when you left teaching and went to work for Disney. I always love to read your input. The current state of Disney makes me sad for the future, but I sure hope there are brighter days ahead. I do wonder if the younger generation will ever feel about Disney like we do? A friend posted the other day on Facebook that they were surprising their teenage child with a day at a theme park in Orlando. She wanted recommendations for which park to choose. Overwhelmingly the people's vote on the thread was Universal. I put HS, and so did a few others, but I just don't think Disney is where it's at for the older teenage, young adult age group.
In the late 1980’s - early 1990’s we rented the FW trailers a few times. It was the perfect arrangement for us and our two sons. We loved being in the woods, close to the night time campfire and movies.
Only once did my parents overlap with our time at WDW. We had the rental trailer and my parents and DSis stayed at GF. Well, there was one very rainy day and we all 7 of us stayed inside playing card games in the trailer. Our sons loved this special time, especially with my Dad who passed shortly after that wonderful trip.

In the late 1980’s - early 1990’s we rented the FW trailers a few times. It was the perfect arrangement for us and our two sons. We loved being in the woods, close to the night time campfire and movies.
Only once did my parents overlap with our time at WDW. We had the rental trailer and my parents and DSis stayed at GF. Well, there was one very rainy day and we all 7 of us stayed inside playing card games in the trailer. Our sons loved this special time, especially with my Dad who passed shortly after that wonderful trip.
Bobbi how are you doing?

^ Thanks for asking.

My upper left arm has a bit more mobility. I think it’s healing nicely. I will be calling my general practitioner for an evaluation and maybe a script for PT once I feel I am ready for PT.

My biggest concern meanwhile is my balance with holding my cane in my right hand. My right hand has more neuropathy issues, and with my balance issues, I am not walking outside very much. Yesterday I walked around our building outside….I want to keep practicing. I have a quick trip planned with the points I was going to lose February 26-March 2. I hope my left hand will be able to hold the controls of ECV, ( I think it will work, it really can do so much more than last week) or else it will be mostly a rest, swim time.

^ Thanks for asking.

My upper left arm has a bit more mobility. I think it’s healing nicely. I will be calling my general practitioner for an evaluation and maybe a script for PT once I feel I am ready for PT.

My biggest concern meanwhile is my balance with holding my cane in my right hand. My right hand has more neuropathy issues, and with my balance issues, I am not walking outside very much. Yesterday I walked around our building outside….I want to keep practicing. I have a quick trip planned with the points I was going to lose February 26-March 2. I hope my left hand will be able to hold the controls of ECV, ( I think it will work, it really can do so much more than last week) or else it will be mostly a rest, swim time.

Sounds like progress. Hopefully things keep improving. I will be hitting up Sam's pizza this weekend...maybe rent an ECV down there and start cruising the boardwalk for practice!

What are people's thoughts on Disney announcing a 55+ community?

After spending about 5 weeks living in my mom's house about 1/2 hour out of Disney restoring it and getting to know the area I've got very strong feelings about 55+ communities. I don't want to spoil other's thoughts though so putting it in a spoiler. Please share your thoughts before reading mine.

I love my mom's house, it's beautiful, large, bright and the community surrounds a golf course so there are wonderful views everywhere.
It's a dream house and I had hoped to buy it off my mom some day, that day would be today if I could swing it.

Five weeks living there taught me one very important thing about myself: I need to see life happening around me to be happy, and not just people and birds, specifically children playing, going off to school, even the occasional argument between kids as is bound to happen. It reminds me there is a spectrum of generations comprising this wonderful world.

The 55+ community my mom has a home in has plenty of folk constantly walking by and saying hello. They run events, have several pools, and a community hall. The residents seem to all go out walking their dogs, looking for anyone to talk to, which tells me they're also missing the energy the younger gens bring. They were particularly keen to stop and talk with me.

At this time most of the people in the neighborhood are in their 80s and passing away or going off to assisted living facilities. It's beyond sad. I realize this means the GenXers are now moving in, but we too will age and I just can't be in a neighborhood that feels like it is waiting around to die.

I realize people will say "but it's Disney"... to which I say yes, they plan it, but Disney has been known to take the properties as they're sold and move them out of the Disney management (see Golden oaks and Celebration). DVC is the exception to this as they are also hotels. This also does not negate the aging community issue I experienced. It's going to happen no matter what they do.

Hey, I told you not to read this until you had formed your own thoughts on the subject! 🤣 Now share!

Last edited:

I thought the first community will be in Rancho Mirage California?
Oh, you're right... I was thinking it was Nevada. I hear desert and I don't think CA, even though it is. I think it's funny that they're planning on humanscaping a naturally very dry environment into having a lake, but they did this with DisneyLand too so I suppose they have experience in this area.

Last edited:
Oh, you're right, LOL... I was thinking it was Nevada. I hear desert and I don't think CA, even though it is. I think it's funny that they're planning on humanscaping a naturally very dry environment into having a lake, but they did this with DisneyLand too so I suppose they have experience in this area.
Anaheim was not a desert when Disney bought the land for Disneyland. It was all orange groves. But I too wonder about creating a lake in a desert area, in a drought that's now supposedly the worst in 1200 years.

^ Thanks for asking.

Glad to hear you are making progress. I hope you continue to feel better and will be ok to use the ECV.

Y’all see that DVC Moonlight Magic is back? Various dates March-Sept…
We are hoping to go on June 16th. Wondering if I am going to have issues booking it though. We are staying at POR for 2 nights before checking into the Poly. We will be at POR that night. I know it said we could be staying on cash - but well, we also all know how reliable Disney's website/IT is.

I have booked the moonlight events before while on a cash reservation, and will be doing so again for the July 14 one. Booked a few cheap (discounted) nights at Pop.

I ordered the WL magic band today. $25 is ridiculous but I have been waiting for a WL one (or BR).

I have booked the moonlight events before while on a cash reservation, and will be doing so again for the July 14 one. Booked a few cheap (discounted) nights at Pop.

I ordered the WL magic band today. $25 is ridiculous but I have been waiting for a WL one (or BR).
Hope to see you there!

We are hoping to go on June 16th. Wondering if I am going to have issues booking it though. We are staying at POR for 2 nights before checking into the Poly. We will be at POR that night. I know it said we could be staying on cash - but well, we also all know how reliable Disney's website/IT is.
We stayed at Pop for one once. When it was over and we walked to the MK bus stop, the CM asked where we were going, then called up a bus for us. We were the only ones on it!

Oh my - I just saw on facebook that there is a Wilderness Lodge Magic band with Humphrey on it for pre-arrival purchase. The struggle - do I? Don't I? Maybe it's all sold out and decision is made. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter