VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

SSR TRIP WRAP UP....

So, Tuesday was off to Epcot for morning FP’s including Figment, Test Track, & Spaceship Earth. Yes, we really were glad we had a FP for Figment as it was really busy!

On a side note, I had called the scooter rental people to pick up the unneeded scooter back up early for a bit of credit. We had never had a scooter before and I want to plug the outfit I used as I thought they were exceptional — it was “Gold Mobility Scooter” , we had a 4 wheel unit delivered to us on Saturday at 3:00 PM, the went over the whole thing and I was so impressed that I was observing all the scooters for the next 5 days and concluded these folks were the way to go. They only keep their scooters for six months and then sell them, and they come all tricked out with Fan, phone holder, and charger plug in for your phone. Also, heavily tricked out LED under carriage lighting. Anyways, it was $193 with tax Sat 3 PM thru Thur 8 AM. They also explained to me that they included damage waiver in the cost of their rentals and that some places charge $25 for a damage waiver. Anyways, great outfit to do business with, and their scooters were the best I saw running around.

Anyways, back to the report, we had to get evacuated from Spaceship Earth and had the pleasure of walking down circular steps from near the top, not anything I recommend. Got a substitute FP which we used on Nemo, also saw the “Shorts” mini film festival. All good stuff. My DW & DD decided to go shopping at DS while I roamed around the WS. Saw a rock band in Germany that was decent, and then saw “The American Experience” for the first time, I loved it! Then, some shopping in Japan and I was off to enjoy that Disney sponsored dinner (we chose the Turf Club at Saratoga as they had been so helpful)! Really liked Turf Club atmosphere & food!

Wednesday we did opening day of “Ralph wrecked VR” at the Void. I liked this even more the Star Wars VR experience, but I recommend them both. My DW did this with us and she was also blown away by the VR experience. Wrapped the day with more shopping, then Studios, for RNR, ST, & Slinky Dog. As people may remember, I haven’t been a huge fan of the Studios park, but I have to say it’s growing on me. SLINKY DOG COASTER is AWESOME!!! I thought the theming was outstanding, and I liked the ride better than 7DMT.

Then, we boogied over to MK for the nighttime shows which I facetimed to my father-in-law, since he has never been...he really enjoyed them.

And, then we flew home today. That’s a wrap!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Ron...thanks for the trip report. Great information about the scooter rental company, though I'm hoping that I don't need them for a while yet. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your comped meal and it sounds like you got quite a bit accomplished during your stay despite the crowds!

If I may, I would like to repay you in some small way.
Definitely not small! Thanks so much for the words of encouragement and support.

I had two other guys from my recovery community over for Thanksgiving yesterday. It was one of the best I've spent in a long while. Being able to go for a walk after making the meal rather than needing to collapse was a small but important blessing.

I hope all Groupies had a great Thanksgiving, and have survived Black Friday!

Some interesting DVC related news these days:

• They have eliminated the email option on DVC Member site...you now have to call or chat to contact Member Services

We are not interested in buying more points but I'm always amazed that Disney can keep raising prices on everything with no apparent negative effect on sales. I think they figured out that demand for all things Disney is not very elastic in economic parlance.

Reflections - a Disney Lakeside Lodge? This may be even a worse name than Boulder Ridge! :sad2:

I don't know why they eliminated emails to Member Services. Seems like a no cost item for Disney and less demanding than chat since they allowed 5 days for response!

Just throwing some topics out there as we approach our next trip.

:dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance:

Last edited:
Sleepy, Jimmy, n Granny, thanks very much guys for your input. I had not intended to solicit help, but as this group is composed of generous folks I have benefited from your experiences. For the time being we are going to sit tight where we are and ride the storm out. Sleepy, I think that I have nearly as deep of sentimental attachment to the Lodge as you, and change can be hard for us old guys! Jimmy, I have thought of renting points out but never have done it. I will have to investigate that option and give it serious consideration. Granny, keeping the 1BR for empty nest trips is exactly what I am thinking of as well. The truth is that buying points at the $60 to $80 range are probably gone for good. So selling them now is a bridge burner. Caution seems to be more prudent than looking for short term fixes. We will come through this just fine I am sure. Thanks again for sharing.

However, right on cue as noted in Granny's post above the mouse is grabbing more dollars with higher priced points for addonitis for existing CCV owners and new rooms at Reflections. The expansion now consists of Star Wars resort, the Riviera resort and now Reflections, along with the expanded Coronado and Caribbean(?) resorts. That is about 4000 new units, (I'm guessing). It seems like they need another theme park, perhaps just a thrill ride park with roller coasters, virtual reality stuff, giant water slides, etc. In any case the parks are very crowded now. Where are all these people going to spend their time. Reflections means more boat traffic on Bay Lake not to mention docking issues at MK. Things keep changing (I get it), but what is the look and feel of a Disney vacation five or ten years from now? Time will tell I am certain. Maybe at some point I do sell as it isn't what we want for our vacation dollars. At least I can be fairly sure that I won't have to sell them at a loss, so all in all it has been a wise choice for me and my family.

Winter storm is going to hit northern Illinois to tomorrow. I have a few things more outside to do before dark. Best wishes everyone.

greg

Sounds like the right decision for you, Greg. I suspect we'd have done exactly the same.

$188 a point. Wow. That means the next resort up for sale will run close to $200 if not a touch over not allowing for any early incentives. Any notions we have about adding points somewhere have certainly been deflated unless we go resale. We plan to hang onto our points for a few years yet, but once we've moved to a warmer clime and our ideas about a vacation change, we may unload our points. As Greg says, the rooms keep going in but the parks don't expand at a similar pace so more people keep getting squeezed into essentially the same space. Good for Disney--not so much for patrons.

Got most outdoor lights up today after the freezing rain passed and the sun peeked out a little. Will finish up tomorrow under warmer temperatures.

Hope all groupies had a great and happy Thanksgiving! (and survived any shopping you might have ventured out to do)

We brought Clay home from the hospital Friday afternoon. I am glad to have him home, but he came with several things he did not have before, including a pic line because he is still needing IV antibiotics. He has a little kidney issue so he has a tube in his right one and I have to do wound care on the incision where they removed the shunt tubing from his abdomen which had compromised his bowel (that was one of the main infection areas along with a UTI). Luckily my Daughter in law is experienced with IV's along with my son, so they are helping me with that. i will take care of wound care and dressing changes. But he is home!!!! We will be seeing a lot more doctors in the near future, but hopefully no more sepsis. We know we will have one more surgical procedure on the kidney, but the doctor is letting him recover and get some strength.
Thank y'all so much for the thoughts and prayers, they have been much appreciated and it will not hurt if some can be continued.

Now all I have to do is try to get in the Christmas spirit. Kati and I are having a hard time feeling that it is fast approaching. Don't know what is wrong with us. . . . I guess it is because we don't have a WDW trip in the works and when we were on the Disney cruise it was all decorated for Halloween.

I hope all Groupies had a great Thanksgiving, and have survived Black Friday!

Some interesting DVC related news these days:

• They have eliminated the email option on DVC Member site...you now have to call or chat to contact Member Services

We are not interested in buying more points but I'm always amazed that Disney can keep raising prices on everything with no apparent negative effect on sales. I think they figured out that demand for all things Disney is not very elastic in economic parlance.

Reflections - a Disney Lakeside Lodge? This may be even a worse name than Boulder Ridge! :sad2:

I don't know why they eliminated emails to Member Services. Seems like a no cost item for Disney and less demanding than chat since they allowed 5 days for response!

Just throwing some topics out there as we approach our next trip.

:dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance::dogdance:

Granny,

2 thoughts on “Reflections” , horrible name agreed. I don’t ever recall even coming close to seeing a reflection in the murky dark water of Bay Lake...

Also, with a name like Reflections, it seems a no brainer to put my long theorized “Ever After” resort right next door where you have your remains interned so that your survivors can come visit when they are on vacation....

We had a great Thanksgiving at Kidani with Thanksgiving dinner at Sanaa. Our savanna view room, 7606, was great. I hope we get that in the future. We're hitting our beloved Lodge for 5 nights from Dec 2 - Dec 7. We'll check on the cat at home every few days to make sure she's okay. Kind of a strange vacation, isn't it? We're also visiting the eldest daughter and granddaughter in Maryland over Christmas week. I hope we don't get snow. :P

Kathy
Prayers are continuing from our household for Clay. Its great news that he is home!!

Granny,

2 thoughts on “Reflections” , horrible name agreed. I don’t ever recall even coming close to seeing a reflection in the murky dark water of Bay Lake...

Also, with a name like Reflections, it seems a no brainer to put my long theorized “Ever After” resort right next door where you have your remains interned so that your survivors can come visit when they are on vacation....
:rotfl:

We brought Clay home from the hospital Friday afternoon.

Kathy...that's great news that Clay came home! Even though it sounds like you have to do a fair amount of care taking, I'm sure it will be good to have him there for the Christmas season! And I'm also sure that you will get into the Christmas spirit soon...once you are able to settle in at home with the family. Prayers continue for Clay and your family. prayer.jpg

Ron...."Ever After Resort" seems like a no-brainer for Disney. They can charge maintenance fees into eternity! :crazy2:

e're hitting our beloved Lodge for 5 nights from Dec 2 - Dec 7. We'll check on the cat at home every few days to make sure she's okay. Kind of a strange vacation, isn't it?

WDad...I have to admit that stopping back at home in the middle of a WDW vacation would be very strange. I'm sure that with your proximity to WDW your trips now take on a different feel anyway. But it sounds like you still have the ability to thoroughly enjoy the amenities of WDW and haven't lost the feeling that it is someplace special. :thumbsup2

Well, Groupies, it's back to work today. Let me see. . .only 19 more school days until a two-week break. Lordy, hurry up, already! pirate: Of course, that means I'm missing the Lodge. My memories of the grand old dame still rattle around inside me, making me long for the nature trail, the beach, flag families, the once awesome Mickey waffles, and Artist Point. Sigh. Listening to Clair de lune compels me to wax nostalgic.

Hi
Allow myself to introduce..errr....myself.:groom: I have owned here for 3 years but have not had the opportunity to stay here. I wanted our first stay to be the holidays and this was the first chance I had to to do a xmas trip. I hear the WL does the best for holiday decorations.
I bought here just on the image of the great hall alone. I knew I would not be disappointed in purchasing this DVC. I also own at SSR and wish I also owned at BCV.
It is just my wife and I and we always stay in a 1-BR. I like to be able to cook if I want to.
I read the disappointment about AP. But I am excited to have a character meal with Grumpy.

I just can't wait anymore.

Hi
Allow myself to introduce..errr....myself.:groom: I have owned here for 3 years but have not had the opportunity to stay here. I wanted our first stay to be the holidays and this was the first chance I had to to do a xmas trip. I hear the WL does the best for holiday decorations.
I bought here just on the image of the great hall alone. I knew I would not be disappointed in purchasing this DVC. I also own at SSR and wish I also owned at BCV.
It is just my wife and I and we always stay in a 1-BR. I like to be able to cook if I want to.
I read the disappointment about AP. But I am excited to have a character meal with Grumpy.

I just can't wait anymore.
:welcome: davper! We're happy you came out to play and introduced yourself! Wow. Three years and not had a chance to stay at our--your--beloved home. . .I'd have gone crazy with anticipation. You are in for such a treat and, yes, the Lodge does do the best holiday decorations. Sure, GF has pretty trees and the gingerbread house, but it doesn't have the cozy feeling the Lodge has, that quintessential holiday feeling of hearth, fire, and belonging. No other resort comes close.

While I understand the excitement others feel about the new character meal, strictly speaking for me, it will never be the same. I have a decade and a half of marvelous memories, romantic interludes, and fantastic meals at Artist Point. I can never go back. However, for those who love such meals and who adore Snow and her merry band, I'm sure it will be a great experience. It's okay to feel happy for others while sighing inside, right? pirate:

Regardless, welcome to the Groupies, and we hope you'll come back and share your experiences and trips with us. We do keep track of Disney visits and cruises on Page 1, and if you'd like to be included, just shoot me a note and I'll add you. There are Groupie Meets all throughout the year when trips overlap, so if you're there during the same time as others, you're most welcome to join in!

Welcome to the Groupies davper!!!!
You picked a great resort IMO!! Its absolutely wonderful this time of the year, so enjoy:goodvibes

Davper....WELCOME!!!

1.3 Welcome happy place Walt.jpg

We're glad you jumped in on the thread, and we know you will have an awesome trip in mid-December at our beloved Lodge. :thumbsup2

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter