• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Ugh now I am in tears thinking of our youngest leaving the nest. She graduated last year (2017) and has made it very clear she is NOT moving home again. Not even to the general area. It is breaking my heart but I am also thankful she is "only" 4 hours away... hoping it stays that way too. Our oldest is still home with us - but as soon as she can afford to she will be moving out. I can't even think about her going. I start crying like a baby. At least I know when she goes she will still be close. Probably in the same town. I knew from the time they were both little that Kylie our oldest would always be near. Emily our youngest would fly away as soon as she could.

Parenting is the most rewarding and heartbreaking thing we will ever do.

Parenting is the most rewarding and heartbreaking thing we will ever do.
Can relate
From time to time I would get misty eyed, thinking about our kids growing up, moving out and moving on. When our DD got married I was a mess, and knew she was only going to be about 3 miles away:confused3

This Elton John song reminds me about leaving home, yet we find ourselves longing for it after awhile, wishing we could go back, and how so many times we make our way back there

Last edited:
Oh Jen, sending hugs to you! It really is hard to see them go, but sounds like you’ve raised an independent young woman. :hug:

Last edited:
Did you hear the rumor? Artist Point to become the home of a Snow White and 7 Dwarfs meal.

By all the excitement in other threads, this will be a win for Disney.

Not so much so for those of us that loved everything serene about WL. Getting to Roaring Fork will be more difficult. Poor Territory Lounge will have a higher noise level, not to mention a much lesser quality menu due to the change in food they will be putting out for the character meal. Good luck getting a rocker in front of the fireplace. Sigh........

Did you hear the rumor? Artist Point to become the home of a Snow White and 7 Dwarfs meal.

Not so much so for those of us that loved everything serene about WL. Getting to Roaring Fork will be more difficult. Poor Territory Lounge will have a higher noise level, not to mention a much lesser quality menu due to the change in food they will be putting out for the character meal. Good luck getting a rocker in front of the fireplace. Sigh........

I refuse to believe that a Snow White character meal would be coming to the lodge. In my mind it clashes with the lodge both in character and story. Snow White's meet and greet by the Germany pavilion in EPCOT makes sense, but as it has been pointed out before the only Disney stories that could be from the Pacific Northwest would be Brother Bear, Bambi and perhaps even Fox & the Hound.

Last edited:
I refuse to believe that a Snow White character meal would be coming to the lodge. In my mind it clashes with the lodge both in character and story. Snow White's meet and greet by the Germany pavilion in EPCOT makes sense, but as it has been pointed out before the only Disney stories that could be from the Pacific Northwest would be Brother Bear, Bambi and perhaps even Fox & the Hound.

My fear is that Disney seems ok sticking with theming as long as it suits them. And if not we can be told the fairy tale of Snow White's adventurous trip to the wilds of the Pacific Northwest to see some boulders and dance with the 7 Dwarves by a rock quarry that they carved out searching for gems.

At least it should be a major improvement to Artist Point, one of, if not the most disappointing Disney eatery!!!

My fear is that Disney seems ok sticking with theming as long as it suits them. And if not we can be told the fairy tale of Snow White's adventurous trip to the wilds of the Pacific Northwest to see some boulders and dance with the 7 Dwarves by a rock quarry that they carved out searching for gems.

OK, that’s actually pretty funny, (because it’s sad but true)! I actually was reading the article to my husband earlier and said, I simply do not understand the connection!

Did you hear the rumor? Artist Point to become the home of a Snow White and 7 Dwarfs meal. . . . . . . .

So glad DiznyDi & I have had 12 years to enjoy the old Lodge . . . too many changes lately for me to be excited. Next thing you know they will be destroying the quietness of the old VWL Lobby; removing the Bird Cage, bricking up the fireplaces, and converting the Carolwood Pacific room to . . . (I can't say . .bad juju). :scared:

Laura...thanks for posting this on our thread. I agree that the general tone of most people is great excitement for this change.

Here's the link to the thread talking about this:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...nd-the-seven-dwarfs-character-dinner.3702974/

My fear is that Disney seems ok sticking with theming as long as it suits them. And if not we can be told the fairy tale of Snow White's adventurous trip to the wilds of the Pacific Northwest to see some boulders and dance with the 7 Dwarves by a rock quarry that they carved out searching for gems

From the responses I've seen, most people seem to think it makes perfect sense. They think of Wilderness Lodge as "woodsy", not the great Pacific Northwest. So it is a seamless transition for them, and I don't think it will be a stretch for the vast majority of WDW guests.

I thought @Starwind had an insightful comment on that thread (Post #41):

It could fit in with the theme of the "Boulder Ridge Railway & Mining Company", the reimagined copper creek pool which is a quarry with left-over mining equipment, etc.

Yes, I can definitely see Disney putting that kind of spin on this idea.

So glad DiznyDi & I have had 12 years to enjoy the old Lodge . . . too many changes lately for me to be excited. Next thing you know they will be destroying the quietness of the old VWL Lobby; removing the Bird Cage, bricking up the fireplaces, and converting the Carolwood Pacific room to . . . (I can't say . .bad juju). :scared:

DDad...I know what you mean, but compared to the changes in our society and the real world, the Disney changes don't make me all that sad.

We did a character breakfast at Artist Point in 2000 with Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, & Eeyore. I don't think it disrupted the feel of Wilderness Lodge at all, and Artist Point was packed for the meal. I think that @sleepydog25 has made the very valid point in the past that this would basically eliminate AP as a signature restaurant, and how can you call a resort Deluxe if it doesn't have a fine dining option? I think Wilderness Lodge has always had an issue pulling off the Deluxe accommodation description (based on its pricing being lower due to lower demand) and this decision is just Disney once again trying to salvage under-utilized space.

Last edited:
At least it should be a major improvement to Artist Point, one of, if not the most disappointing Disney eatery!!!

Bill...I think that your opinion is widely shared. Certainly it has been difficult for Artist Point to attract people staying at WL and other resorts based on ample availability we've seen over the years. We enjoyed our AP meals, but haven't eaten there often as we don't eat at signature restaurants all that often. All of Disney's decisions for the new amenities, room conversions to DVC, and now a character meal at AP...I think they are all driven by the under-utilization of the WL campus in general.

And for most families, a Snow White character meal on-site will be a very nice addition to the DVC spiel to help sell CCV.

From the responses I've seen, most people seem to think it makes perfect sense. They think of Wilderness Lodge as "woodsy", not the great Pacific Northwest. So it is a seamless transition for them, and I don't think it will be a stretch for the vast majority of WDW guests.

The positive about selecting Snow White is that the potential exists to not change the decor......maybe. Just roll the characters in after some small updates.

The positive about selecting Snow White is that the potential exists to not change the decor......maybe. Just roll the characters in after some small updates.

I agree. They didn't change anything for Winnie the Pooh...I guess it was a good setting for the 100 Acre Wood. So they could certainly use it as Snow White's forest.

Last edited:
We had a lovely meal at AP for our 30th anniversary - it was simply perfection. When we went back last December it was truly subpar. Our server was not engaging whatsoever and the food was mediocre at best. With that said, we also dined there when the Pooh et al character breakfast was there, and it was nice. I think a Snow White (or any other character other than Stitch) character breakfast would have been a nice addition, but to change to a character dinner seems odd to me. I’m not upset about it, since we prob would not have dined there again in the near future anyway.

Hi Groupies,

We are headed to The World next week:yay:

We have a few dining reservations, but since I had to tweak our dates, I had to make changes which left a few days open. I am looking for suggestions please!

Corinne
A couple places that really stick out in my mind
Resorts...The Wave for breakfast or lunch. Not really keen on dinner there.
Epcot... Rose n Crown is among our faves and recently tried La Hacienda De San Angel and really enjoyed it
MK...I can't say I am a huge fan of anyplace here, but we have enjoyed Skipper Canteen on a couple occasions
HS...50s PTC has been on our must do places most every trip

Corrine - DiznyDi & I have enjoyed The Liberty Tree Tavern in MK with Granny & Mrs. Granny and found it to be very enjoyable. The food was comforting, and the company fantastic! Make reservations, but keep in mind that Granny & Mrs. Granny may not be there . . . . . :rolleyes:

Corrine - DiznyDi & I have enjoyed The Liberty Tree Tavern in MK with Granny & Mrs. Granny and found it to be very enjoyable. The food was comforting, and the company fantastic! Make reservations, but keep in mind that Granny & Mrs. Granny may not be there . . . . . :rolleyes:

Hahha! Great, thanks DDad! We haven’t been to LTT since 1989! I may try that! Granny, Cindy, sure you can’t join us!!?? :confused3

Corinne
A couple places that really stick out in my mind
Resorts...The Wave for breakfast or lunch. Not really keen on dinner there.
Epcot... Rose n Crown is among our faves and recently tried La Hacienda De San Angel and really enjoyed it
MK...I can't say I am a huge fan of anyplace here, but we have enjoyed Skipper Canteen on a couple occasions
HS...50s PTC has been on our must do places most every trip

Thanks Jimmy! Ya know, I was just saying to Dana we should try Rose & Crown, but the menu didn’t really appeal to me....I still think we need to go in for a drink and soak in the ambience...we were also there in 1989! Like you, 50’s is a must do for us, and we also enjoyed The Wave for lunch last year (I believe on your suggestion Jimmy)!

Corrine - DiznyDi & I have enjoyed The Liberty Tree Tavern in MK with Granny & Mrs. Granny and found it to be very enjoyable. The food was comforting, and the company fantastic! Make reservations, but keep in mind that Granny & Mrs. Granny may not be there . . . . .

Yes, we have enjoyed LTT several times. We like it especially over the Christmas season as it lends itself to the decorations much like WL. And dining with DDad and Di always makes a meal better! :)

Great, thanks DDad! We haven’t been to LTT since 1989! I may try that! Granny, Cindy, sure you can’t join us!!??

Oh, I wish we could! But alas we have 101 days until our next trip to WDW. :(

We have enjoyed many of the restaurants over the years, but few of them really stick out in my mind. We do tend to like the Plaza restaurant at MK...simple menu but everything has been good and you can't beat those ice cream dessert options at the end! Like @jimmytammy , we have put the Rose & Crown in our regular rotation...almost always get the corned beef. And we have split a burger at Burger Deluxe in Disney Springs and found it to be plenty for us. The Grand Floridian Cafe has also become one of our favorite places.

Have fun planning your trip! :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter