VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

They're are several on FB including these that I credit to a certain Humphrey's page. . .
016f57d7-2046-4307-b349-8a212008c3c7.png

93edadc6-43f2-44a8-8acb-d80be9659dcf.png

820fa744-2825-4c96-a746-ac5443779d7d.png
The Gourmet Grilled Cheese looked tempting for a moment, but only with a cup of Chili! Oh the horror -- no more snack credit chili? NOT HAPPY! :sad2:

Well, for me, Cali Grill is one of, if not my top favorite. Yes, the noise levels can be greater I guess but at WDW it's more my expectation. For a table of 4 you'll still be able to converse just fine. And I really enjoy the views. I'd eat there anytime in a heartbeat.

I agree with this. I love this restaurant. Also, I have gotten lucky and been seated in a smaller area overlooking the pool, lake, & back at Wilderness. Quieter in this area, and also if you go at 5 PM. I always enjoy a walk on the catwalks following dinner to view MK & watch the monorail sail by. Well, that's it for my unsolicited two cents..

What a lovely thread!I think I found the right place to ask a question. My twin sister and I will be at WDW Dec10-15. We celebrate our birthdays together every year since turning 50. Each year we do something different, tour the Christmas decorations, or hit he spa... this year we want to try as many outdoor, bar/restaurants. We will not eat full meals and don't want to be tried down by reservations...so, here is my question, If we send the morning at MK, and want to have lunch an an adult beverage at Geyser Point what is the best way to travel between the two. Should we take the boat, or is there a walking path? The menu at Geyser Point looks very nice, is it very crowded at lunch time mid week? Thanks for your help. May I say again how nice it was to read the 1st few and the last few pages of this thread!!

I agree with this. I love this restaurant. Also, I have gotten lucky and been seated in a smaller area overlooking the pool, lake, & back at Wilderness. Quieter in this area, and also if you go at 5 PM. I always enjoy a walk on the catwalks following dinner to view MK & watch the monorail sail by. Well, that's it for my unsolicited two cents..
It was solicited. Thank you! Very helpful.

RellingTwin - so very nice to have you join in our fun! :welcome:

The best (and only in my opinion) way to travel to Wilderness Lodge from MK is by boat! There is no walking path or monorail access. Once off the boat at WL its a short walk to Geyser Point. I don't think you'll have any difficulty finding seating. But if you do, there should be other seating available nearby; by the pool or the new outdoor seating by Roaring Fork and the main lodge.

Again, welcome!

What a lovely thread!I think I found the right place to ask a question. My twin sister and I will be at WDW Dec10-15. We celebrate our birthdays together every year since turning 50. Each year we do something different, tour the Christmas decorations, or hit he spa... this year we want to try as many outdoor, bar/restaurants. We will not eat full meals and don't want to be tried down by reservations...so, here is my question, If we send the morning at MK, and want to have lunch an an adult beverage at Geyser Point what is the best way to travel between the two. Should we take the boat, or is there a walking path? The menu at Geyser Point looks very nice, is it very crowded at lunch time mid week? Thanks for your help. May I say again how nice it was to read the 1st few and the last few pages of this thread!!
I agree with DiznyDi--take the boat. You can take a bus, but the boat is so much more enjoyable. We've only eaten at GP once (back in May), and it was superb, especially the salmon BLT I had. We didn't try a drink at the bar since we were staying at the Lodge and had, ummm, access to our own stock of wine which we may or may not have poured into a plastic cup and carried with us. I understand it can get crowded sometimes, but I don't think you'll have much issue finding seats with just two of you, and since the temperatures will likely be moderate, you shouldn't have to be under an awning or roof to eat.

Now that business is taken care of, :welcome: We're glad you stumbled upon us and hope you come back often!

The best (and only in my opinion) way to travel to Wilderness Lodge from MK is by boat! There is no walking path or monorail access. Once off the boat at WL its a short walk to Geyser Point. I don't think you'll have any difficulty finding seating. But if you do, there should be other seating available nearby; by the pool or the new outdoor seating by Roaring Fork and the main lodge.

I agree with DiznyDi--take the boat. You can take a bus, but the boat is so much more enjoyable. We've only eaten at GP once (back in May), and it was superb, especially the salmon BLT I had. We didn't try a drink at the bar since we were staying at the Lodge and had, ummm, access to our own stock of wine which we may or may not have poured into a plastic cup and carried with us. I understand it can get crowded sometimes, but I don't think you'll have much issue finding seats with just two of you, and since the temperatures will likely be moderate, you shouldn't have to be under an awning or roof to eat.

RellingTwin...welcome to our little thread where we talk all things Wilderness Lodge, VWL and CCV. As Di and Sleepy have pointed out, the boat directly from Wilderness Lodge to MK is a great way to travel between the two. The fastest is probably the bus. If you are not in a hurry, there's a third option.

There is a boat that circles Bay Lake stopping at Wilderness Lodge, then Fort Wilderness, then The Contemporary Resort. There is a second boat that runs in the opposite direction. If you get on one of these boats coming from Fort Wilderness, the next stop is the Contemporary. We have often taken that boat to CR and then walked to MK from there. We don't mind walking and it can be faster if the MK boat wait is running long.

As for Geyser Point, on our last trip we found it very crowded on the weekends at meal times. During the week we had much better luck but we tried to avoid it right around noon or 6:00 pm when so many people are looking for a bite to eat. We may bump into you there as the week you will be there is a very popular one for DVC members and us VWL Groupies! :)

Welcome RellingTwin!!! I'll make that 4 for 4 to take the boat. The other option is the bus and while I tout it as the best bus ride at WDW that's for convenience, not ambiance. :) I wouldn't expect you to have difficulty in finding a spot for lunch as most resort locations are slower at that time as so many are at the parks then. Christmas time is such a great time at the lodge so be certain to leave a bit of time to take in the beautiful decorations too! :santa:

RellingTwin - so very nice to have you join in our fun! :welcome:

Again, welcome!
Thank you for the information and the welcome!

Now that business is taken care of, :welcome: We're glad you stumbled upon us and hope you come back often!
Thank you for the information! Looking forward to our visit.

RellingTwin...welcome to our little thread where we talk all things Wilderness Lodge, VWL and CCV. As Di and Sleepy have pointed out, the boat directly from Wilderness Lodge to MK is a great way to travel between the two. The fastest is probably the bus. If you are not in a hurry, there's a third option.

There is a boat that circles Bay Lake stopping at Wilderness Lodge, then Fort Wilderness, then The Contemporary Resort. There is a second boat that runs in the opposite direction. If you get on one of these boats coming from Fort Wilderness, the next stop is the Contemporary. We have often taken that boat to CR and then walked to MK from there. We don't mind walking and it can be faster if the MK boat wait is running long.

As for Geyser Point, on our last trip we found it very crowded on the weekends at meal times. During the week we had much better luck but we tried to avoid it right around noon or 6:00 pm when so many people are looking for a bite to eat. We may bump into you there as the week you will be there is a very popular one for DVC members and us VWL Groupies! :)
Thanks! We will not be is a hurry (I refuse to hurry on vacation!) Since you will be there that week are you planning to go to Moonlight Magic? I love Disney in early Dec. But I try not to talk it up....Can't let too many people in on the secret!

Thanks! We will not be is a hurry (I refuse to hurry on vacation!) Since you will be there that week are you planning to go to Moonlight Magic? I love Disney in early Dec. But I try not to talk it up....Can't let too many people in on the secret!

We would like to go to Moonlight Magic, assuming we remember to book it! :)

We would like to go to Moonlight Magic, assuming we remember to book it! :)
I'm also considering attending the Midnight Magic in EPCOT for our stay. I might be able to talk my mom into coming along, it's been almost a decade since she's stepped inside a Disney Park. There's no point in assuming my dad will make it, 9PM is long past his bed time.

Rumblings are that Epcot is slated to get two new rides by 2020. It looks like Ellen's UoE may be down by December which would be a total deal breaker for us if it is (... I kid ;) )

Can't wait to see the Holiday Decor in the resorts and parks!

Last edited:
Twins - Don't miss the opportunity to take a sleigh ride thru the Christmas lights at Ft. Wilderness! DiznyDi and I love that adventure. You have to sign up ahead of time. It is a nice ~20 minute sleigh ride pulled by a nice big Percheron (similar to Clydesdale - sorry if I just stepped on Horselover's toes!:rolleyes:). You can meet them in the horse barn during the day. The ride is memorable, the lights impressive (the RVs more impressive - Jeese Louise $).

I have to chime in and agree with Dad about the RVers decorations in Ft Wilderness. While we've not taken a sleigh ride there at Christmas, we've toured the lights on our own, and those RVers have some of the cutest displays around. Well worth even walking to FW (about a mile one way, then a bit more to walk around the area) or biking--you can rent bikes at the WL front desk, currently--to see the lights.

Welcome to the groupies RellingTwin!!!!
I confer to others here, take the boat!! Its peaceful relaxing, and a nice way to approach the Lodge. We are staying at the villas at the Lodge Dec. 4-10 and have great hope of snagging the DVC night at Epcot too.

We celebrated my folks 60th wedding anniversary last night with a small gathering of some special folks. It was very nice and I think they really appreciated it. My Dad doesn't say much(not sure where I got my gift of gab from)but he spoke last night and was very open about how he felt about all in attendance. Very sweet moment:-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter