VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

[B said:
DVCTigger[/B]....glad you had a great trip. Haven't eaten at Trail in many years. How was it? I want to give my family some nearby options for dining. Not all of them will have a car and most aren't going in to the parks. They plan to just relax and enjoy VWL and all it's ambience (as Jimmytammy mentioned). I could be happy doing the same. They are only staying for 3 nights.

We really enjoy Trails End. We had both breakfast and dinner this trip, and usually go out of our way each trip for a meal at Trails End. It's one of the best deals on property, and it's just good food. Menu is still classic American, BBQ type food. Nothing fancy, just good. Lunch is a la carte and they have a decent pizza if you just want to get a quick meal. Breakfast and dinner are buffet, both the cheapest buffets on property.

[/B]

Exciting things dvctigger!!. At least you got to sneak a trip in! ;)

:thumbsup2 And excited for another for our 25th anniversary trip to Aulani in August! Good luck with your upcoming celebrations!

We really enjoy Trails End. We had both breakfast and dinner this trip, and usually go out of our way each trip for a meal at Trails End. It's one of the best deals on property, and it's just good food. Menu is still classic American, BBQ type food. Nothing fancy, just good. Lunch is a la carte and they have a decent pizza if you just want to get a quick meal. Breakfast and dinner are buffet, both the cheapest buffets on property.
The buffets at TE are the best bang for the buck at Disney. We're more fans of the breakfast and enjoy the walk to and from FW as it gives us a chance to be alone and to work some of the calories. ;)

Maria Another fan of Trails End breakfast here. At VWL, we will walk the trail, eat, walk back. If at other resorts, we drive, catch bus at front, which is usually very quick trip to TE. We love the breakfast there! The waitstaff are the same from many yrs back, and we have over heard Ken, a longtime waiter say that they love working there, and are like a big family.

Rusafee
Thanks for the list, lots of things we wouldnt consider, but very much needed. I pasted and copied to my email

Eliza
We just got back from 1.5 week trip in a 1 bed stay at BLT. I was reluctant as Contemp never appealed(not much into the modern look)but was very surprised at how much I was taken to it. Amenities at BLT are huge in comparison to other DVC resorts we have stayed at. Plus proximity, to MK, amenities at Contemp, the whole thing made for a very nice stay, felt at home. Does it override my love for VWL, lets not get crazy here;)

Maria Another fan of Trails End breakfast here. At VWL, we will walk the trail, eat, walk back. If at other resorts, we drive, catch bus at front, which is usually very quick trip to TE. We love the breakfast there! The waitstaff are the same from many yrs back, and we have over heard Ken, a longtime waiter say that they love working there, and are like a big family.

Rusafee
Thanks for the list, lots of things we wouldnt consider, but very much needed. I pasted and copied to my email

Eliza
We just got back from 1.5 week trip in a 1 bed stay at BLT. I was reluctant as Contemp never appealed(not much into the modern look)but was very surprised at how much I was taken to it. Amenities at BLT are huge in comparison to other DVC resorts we have stayed at. Plus proximity, to MK, amenities at Contemp, the whole thing made for a very nice stay, felt at home. Does it override my love for VWL, lets not get crazy here;)
We especially love the pulled pork eggs benedict at the Trail's End breakfast. Be sure to get them when they're first brought out or replenished, though. We love the walk, too, as it's relaxing, never crowded, and is full of nature's abundance.

Like you, JT, I've never been a huge fan of the modern look and feel of CR or BLT. However, we did stay there one night last summer (and Luv has stayed there on a trip a few years back), and the convenience factor alone makes it a worthwhile selection: monorail, walk to MK, and TOWL to name a few. My 13-year old daughter will be going with us in August, and she assumes we'll be at VWL as normal. We're planning to surprise her when we pull up to BLT instead. ;)

snip....

Eliza

JT, you have written exactly how I feel about BLT (you too Sleepy ;)).
Eliza, I'll be interested in your take on it.

Spring is right around the corner!! :cheer2:

Thanks everyone for the thumbs up on Trail's End :thumbsup2
Looks like we'll be adding it to the agenda again :drinking1:stitch2:

***Oh....and how long is the walk to Trail's End?? Or is the boat to Ft Wilderness the best way to go??

And yes DVCTigger.....I sent my family some pics and sort of a how-to-navigate WL/VWL guide that I made on my computer and printed out. But the photos just don't do the "real thing" justice :lovestruc

We have never tried Trail's End, but now I feel like I have to add it to the list for our Christmas trip. :thumbsup2

I always like to try somewhere new each trip, and unfortunately both ADR's we have this trip are repeats. So, we are going to make sure to try a few new QS places. :thumbsup2

I know I want to try Sleepy Hollow and Gaston's Tavern this time. Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the thumbs up on Trail's End :thumbsup2
Looks like we'll be adding it to the agenda again :drinking1:stitch2:

***Oh....and how long is the walk to Trail's End?? Or is the boat to Ft Wilderness the best way to go??

And yes DVCTigger.....I sent my family some pics and sort of a how-to-navigate WL/VWL guide that I made on my computer and printed out. But the photos just don't do the "real thing" justice :lovestruc
Right at one mile each way. No, I don't believe the boat is better; then again, I am a runner. ;) Luv and I prefer walking as you are surrounded by nature, and the walk doesn't seem any longer than the interminable hallways of Kidani. :lmao: You can follow the paved trail that leads off from the bus stop, or you can start beside the bike/boat rental building and follow the shoreline of the lake for about 1/3 of a mile. The trail then diverges: if you go straight, you'll eventually come out in a CM parking area of FW where you'll have to bear to the right and you'll come out near the stables; if you take the path to the right at the divergence, you'll wind up hitting the original paved trail in a couple of hundred yards. Turn left onto the main trail then. Either way, you'll wind up near the stables and will have walked close to a mile. Along the way, we've seen many deer, rabbits, turtles, and I once saw a hawk sitting on the ground, prey in its talons. Very cool! :thumbsup2

Right at one mile each way. No, I don't believe the boat is better; then again, I am a runner. ;) Luv and I prefer walking as you are surrounded by nature, and the walk doesn't seem any longer than the interminable hallways of Kidani. :lmao: You can follow the paved trail that leads off from the bus stop, or you can start beside the bike/boat rental building and follow the shoreline of the lake for about 1/3 of a mile. The trail then diverges: if you go straight, you'll eventually come out in a CM parking area of FW where you'll have to bear to the right and you'll come out near the stables; if you take the path to the right at the divergence, you'll wind up hitting the original paved trail in a couple of hundred yards. Turn left onto the main trail then. Either way, you'll wind up near the stables and will have walked close to a mile. Along the way, we've seen many deer, rabbits, turtles, and I once saw a hawk sitting on the ground, prey in its talons. Very cool! :thumbsup2

Thank you Sleepydog!!! I am a runner too :thumbsup2 So I would definitely go the scenic walking route. But some of my family might need the boat. I have a spry 85 yr old aunt, but still think this might be too tiring for her. The father of my soon-to-be sil had a pacemaker put in this past June. He is only 57 years old but had a rough recovery in ICU for a week afterwards. Either way, I'll explain both options to them. :goodvibes

Thank you Sleepydog!!! I am a runner too :thumbsup2 So I would definitely go the scenic walking route. But some of my family might need the boat. I have a spry 85 yr old aunt, but still think this might be too tiring for her. The father of my soon-to-be sil had a pacemaker put in this past June. He is only 57 years old but had a rough recovery in ICU for a week afterwards. Either way, I'll explain both options to them. :goodvibes
Definitely the boat would work, especially for the aunt and SIL's dad--it's certainly enjoyable. If they catch the boat right away, they might even beat you there should you walk instead. ;) Luv and I usually take the sandy nature trail before hooking up to the main, paved path. However, when I go for my runs, I follow the nature trail around the lake. As I said, it feeds into some parking lot (I've heard this might be near the old water park, but I'm not sure of that info) that turns you toward FW proper. Along the way, I've encountered many deer, turtles, and the occasional CM walking or riding in a golf cart between the two resorts. No one has ever said anything to me near the parking area, but that might have to do with the fact they can see I'm actually running and not snooping. Once to FW, I just find a road or sidewalk and run until I feel it's time to turn back. During the Christmas season, it's a real hoot to see all the decorations at FW as I run. On my return leg, I usually take the paved path for variety. :thumbsup2

I envy you runners. :goodvibes I downloaded an app called "Get Running", so I can start small and try to run more. When I was doing Zumba and basic running was when I felt my most fit and comfortable in my own skin. I haven't run at all in years, and I have never been 'good' at it. I am hoping to start small, and maybe start running a bit more once the weather clears up a bit. :cool1:

The trails around VWL seem amazing and serene. Even just to take walks in the morning to get the blood pumping. :cheer2:

I envy you runners. :goodvibes I downloaded an app called "Get Running", so I can start small and try to run more. When I was doing Zumba and basic running was when I felt my most fit and comfortable in my own skin. I haven't run at all in years, and I have never been 'good' at it. I am hoping to start small, and maybe start running a bit more once the weather clears up a bit. :cool1:

The trails around VWL seem amazing and serene. Even just to take walks in the morning to get the blood pumping. :cheer2:
Like Disney resorts, running is a term that encompasses many levels and styles. All that is relevant is that you make the effort to run if you are physically able and halfway enjoy doing it. I've been running for decades, but the body isn't able to do the miles I once did. . .and I'm slower than even 3-4 years ago. However, running is a mindset, and though I slack off during the winter, I get back at it come spring. I would suggest setting some modest running goals, that way you have something at which to aim. For example, find a local 5K that has a 1-mile fun run and train for the latter. If you enjoy that, then set your sights on running an entire 5K. Find a fun-looking, smaller 5K, and set your mind to do it. That way, you've given yourself reasonable goals to attain, and you might find yourself truly enjoying it.
Above all else, call yourself a runner no matter the speed or distance you run. I've always felt as though the term jogging made the activity seem like a transient fad rather than a lifestyle. ;)

I would suggest setting some modest running goals, that way you have something at which to aim. For example, find a local 5K that has a 1-mile fun run and train for the latter. If you enjoy that, then set your sights on running an entire 5K. Find a fun-looking, smaller 5K, and set your mind to do it. That way, you've given yourself reasonable goals to attain, and you might find yourself truly enjoying it.

This is pretty much exactly what I did! I signed up for the "Dirty Girl Mud Run" in June, and plan on signing up for a Pittsburgh Pirates 5K where you get tickets to a game after completing it. I wanted to use the Pirates run to 'get out there' and then start to train more seriously for the mud run. There are a lot of obstacles that go along with it, and I hope to be in better shape to do all of them. :yay:

Both of those runs are after our trip next month, so I think I will try to set a goal to run at least a little bit every day when we are at WDW. If I start the day off well, maybe I won't feel as guilty about all the food and drinks I will obviously be having. LOL.

I think I will start researching trails near BWV. :thumbsup2

Are there any pictures of the 5th person bed in a VWL studio?

I know Sleepy gave you the link to the old page, but I took the liberty of "borrowing" Cosmos' picture:

p779593412-5.jpg

I do really like the background mural there. One of the few things in the refurb that they seemed to remember that what resort they were refurbishing.

Like Disney resorts, running is a term that encompasses many levels and styles. All that is relevant is that you make the effort to run if you are physically able and halfway enjoy doing it. I've been running for decades, but the body isn't able to do the miles I once did. . .and I'm slower than even 3-4 years ago. However, running is a mindset, and though I slack off during the winter, I get back at it come spring. I would suggest setting some modest running goals, that way you have something at which to aim. For example, find a local 5K that has a 1-mile fun run and train for the latter. If you enjoy that, then set your sights on running an entire 5K. Find a fun-looking, smaller 5K, and set your mind to do it. That way, you've given yourself reasonable goals to attain, and you might find yourself truly enjoying it.
Above all else, call yourself a runner no matter the speed or distance you run. I've always felt as though the term jogging made the activity seem like a transient fad rather than a lifestyle. ;)

I have not been running nearly as long as Sleepy. I started Jan 2010. I was faced with trending labs towards diabetes. Scared the nilly out of me. So I was HIGHLY motivated by this. My doctor is very impressed that I had my labs down to normal in 3-4 months after the initial diagnosis threat. I lost 40 lbs in less than 6 months. I have put about 10 of that back on so I feel I can never stop running.

And I also slack off in the Winter because I HATE HATE running on the treadmill---I prefer outdoors. I think it's part of the joy of running to be out in nature. I am also not fast at all.....I run 3 miles in about 33-35 min. So not too much to be impressed with. But the way I look at it---hey, I'm still moving. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter