VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

:wave:

So guess what I'm doing in a little over a month? Spending a night at CCV! Shall we guess what view I'll get there? :rotfl:
Kathy, the only units I can see folk not wanting are the ones up right off the lobby (see the yellow highlight below on google shot). I had a room there once and if I ever have one again I'd move to Port Orleans Riverside, not kidding. Being right off the lobby they're very noisy but there's no escape on the balcony side either due to them facing the bus stop and having the rooftop to echo the noise.

I'd put in a request to be as far away from the lobby as possible. It sounds silly but the walk isn't that far even to those end units.

upload_2018-3-14_11-30-18.png

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the old quiet pool. Very small but rarely crowded with no features (except the bubbles that you can see in the picture). It was nicely nestled among the trees.

View attachment 308810

Having said that, I am in the minority in that I think the new pool will be very nice once the trees grow in. They planted a whole bunch of trees so I think it will once again be nestled among them. I'm okay with the quarry theming, and as long as they don't do the loudspeaker games and music there (cruise ship antics as DDad calls it) I think the new pool will end up being very nice with the zero entry.
I agree. I miss the old pool. When we went to WDW in December (stayed at OKW) we made a couple passes by the Lodge and saw the new amenities for the first time. While I like the new pool's looks, I definitely miss the enclosed, secluded feel of the old pool. That being said, I agree that the new pool will be very nice once the trees grow in, but that will be quite a while.

Here's a picture of the old quiet pool. Very small but rarely crowded with no features (except the bubbles that you can see in the picture). It was nicely nestled among the trees.

View attachment 308810

Having said that, I am in the minority in that I think the new pool will be very nice once the trees grow in. They planted a whole bunch of trees so I think it will once again be nestled among them. I'm okay with the quarry theming, and as long as they don't do the loudspeaker games and music there (cruise ship antics as DDad calls it) I think the new pool will end up being very nice with the zero entry.

Thanks for posting that! We also never got a chance to see the old quiet pool and those bubbles look fun especially for kids. Do we know why they got rid of them? I'm not a huge fan of the mining theme but it doesn't bother me either; overall I just love the peaceful, woodsy ambience of the resort and grounds. We never stayed at WL before staying at CCV in December and promptly fell in love. Every night when we entered the lobby our 2 year old would exclaim, "BIG CHRISTMAS TREE!!"

What view did you request? I would think that one of the great parts about CCV is that the views should be pretty good on either side of the wing. Except for ground floor which I would probably not care for.

I'm doing a Moose Dust dance for you to get the best room possible for your stay!

Thanks Granny! I haven't put in a request yet. Probably will just try inner courtyard and high floor like I used to do when it was part of the hotel. But it's only 1 night and a walk in shower so a) I'm not certain where the studios with walk in showers are and b) our 1 night stays have often ended up getting assigned to either HA rooms or ground floor rooms. Now I ran across this little gem of a view although am not positive any of these moved over to CCV but I think they may have. Will I be so lucky? :scratchin

CCV (2).JPG

Kathy, the only units I can see folk not wanting are the ones up right off the lobby (see the yellow highlight below on google shot). I had a room there once and if I ever have one again I'd move to Port Orleans Riverside, not kidding. Being right off the lobby they're very noisy but there's no escape on the balcony side either due to them facing the bus stop and having the rooftop to echo the noise.

I'd put in a request to be as far away from the lobby as possible. It sounds silly but the walk isn't that far even to those end units.

View attachment 308915

That's the area I'm expecting! :rotfl:

Thanks Granny! I haven't put in a request yet. Probably will just try inner courtyard and high floor like I used to do when it was part of the hotel. But it's only 1 night and a walk in shower so a) I'm not certain where the studios with walk in showers are and b) our 1 night stays have often ended up getting assigned to either HA rooms or ground floor rooms. Now I ran across this little gem of a view although am not positive any of these moved over to CCV but I think they may have. Will I be so lucky? :scratchin

View attachment 308972

.. Those rooms should never have been hotel rooms to start with in my opinion. I felt like I was in prison.

SIDE NOTE -
I just saw Humphrey's page posted about the sneaky new up-charges Disney has added to the room reservations. Thankfully, not when staying in villas on points (for now). The details seem to be that starting for any Disney hotel reservation made after March 21 the nightly parking fee will be either $13 for value resort /$19 for Moderate /$24 for Deluxe or Villas.

YIKES! They really don't want us bringing our own vehicles in now, do they?

SIDE NOTE -
I just saw Humphrey's page posted about the sneaky new up-charges Disney has added to the room reservations. Thankfully, not when staying in villas on points (for now). The details seem to be that starting for any Disney hotel reservation made after March 21 the nightly parking fee will be either $13 for value resort /$19 for Moderate /$24 for Deluxe or Villas.

YIKES! They really don't want us bringing our own vehicles in now, do they?

Actually there is no parking charge, per the announcement, for those staying in DVC Villas whether on points or cash. And if we use our points for the Concierge Collection to stay at regular resorts, we don't pay for parking then either. Per the discussion I've seen elsewhere on this board, Disney can't charge DVC members (even recent resale members) for parking since our dues pay for upkeep of the parking lots as part of our ownership interest.

I'm just hoping that they ramp up Magical Express to keep up with the potential increase in usage.

Julie (Horselover) and me at the Flower & Garden Festival a couple weeks ago. This was about 30 min before I spilled that drink all over my shirt! I can laugh about it now.....lol
I do hope you are surviving that nasty storm Julie!!!! See ya in the Fall!

View attachment 308972

I have been wondering if the two rooms, there are only two, above the lobby on the seventh floor have that kind of view. I guess we won't know until you stay there KAT4DISNEY, with your luck. The balconies look tiny as well.

BTW, we found out last week that if we request a high floor room that means rooms on 5, 6, and 7. Most of the rooms on 7 are the enclosed balconies, but then there are some of them on the lower floors that have the rock faced balconies. The rock looks great from the outside, but inside it must make the rooms especially dark. And there are only small windows to stand and look out.

Julie (Horselover) and me at the Flower & Garden Festival a couple weeks ago. This was about 30 min before I spilled that drink all over my shirt! I can laugh about it now.....lol
I do hope you are surviving that nasty storm Julie!!!! See ya in the Fall!

Maria...great pictures of you and Julie! Looks like you had way too much fun. :thumbsup2

And that drink of yours doesn't look like it would be good to mix with your shirt. I hope you were able to salvage the shirt.

Thanks for the photos....it's always great to see Groupies getting together for good times at WDW. :)

Our first stay at the Lodge was in December 1999 with our two young sons. We had a Junior Suite on the 1st floor facing the lake. First time at WDW for the boys also. Dream trip all around. Promptly bought lincoln logs for the boys for Christmas to build their own lodge. Bought in to VWL in 2001 and had multiple stays in the villas and the lodge. We spent many wonderful vacations and even a couple of hurricanes at the lodge. Last trip to VWL was in 2009 with friends. After that many trips to BCV & BWV because our trips were during the festivals. We are FINALLY returning in early December 2018 and we are over the moon! Can't wait to be back home and discover again all that we loved and all that is new. I had the pleasure of meeting ranger Stan on our trip in 2009. What a lovely man!

I have been wondering if the two rooms, there are only two, above the lobby on the seventh floor have that kind of view. I guess we won't know until you stay there KAT4DISNEY, with your luck. The balconies look tiny as well.

BTW, we found out last week that if we request a high floor room that means rooms on 5, 6, and 7. Most of the rooms on 7 are the enclosed balconies, but then there are some of them on the lower floors that have the rock faced balconies. The rock looks great from the outside, but inside it must make the rooms especially dark. And there are only small windows to stand and look out.

:laughing: I'll be sure to let everyone know what the view from them looks like!

Sooo ready to be there! Hectic work week, & my wife’s BFF had cancer surgery on Tuesday ( my wife was down there in the evening following six hours in surgery and six in recovery. Rough deal, she crashed due to pain relieving narcotics and quit breathing — all while my wife was there!). Two days later and her BFF is progressing positively, but obviously a long road ahead. We are both ready to be on vacation. If we could find some ruby red slippers to click together I’m certain we would use them.

Oh Ron, I'm sorry to hear your wife's best friend is having such a hard time. Glad she was there for her. Friends like that are hard to come by.
Here's wishing her a speedy and full recovery, and for you and your wife to get some restful vacationing in soon.

I know there's a few other Groupies headed down later in April so wanted to share the FYI I got from Tourinplans that hours have been extended at MK - at least during the week of the 16th. From several 9pm closings to 10pm. I haven't verified but it should have changed EMH from 11 to midnight close.

Of course MK hasn't had a lot of 9pm closings in April in years and years so I took that worth a grain of salt to begin with. That particular thing of starting with short hours that they've started doing in the past couple of years is just beyond frustrating for me.

I know there's a few other Groupies headed down later in April so wanted to share the FYI I got from Tourinplans that hours have been extended at MK - at least during the week of the 16th. From several 9pm closings to 10pm. I haven't verified but it should have changed EMH from 11 to midnight close.

Of course MK hasn't had a lot of 9pm closings in April in years and years so I took that worth a grain of salt to begin with. That particular thing of starting with short hours that they've started doing in the past couple of years is just beyond frustrating for me.

Kathy...I agree that it is simply amazing that Disney gets park hours changing so often. Nobody has more and better attendance information from years and years of history where this should be a total no-brainer.

It's almost like the Disney folks are sitting around a meeting table...

"We'll announce shorter hours, and hope we have enough resorts booked and anticipated crowds that we're good. But if resorts don't fill up as well as we'd like...then 30 days out or so we'll announce longer hours as a guest experience enhancement"
Sheesh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter