VWL and general restaurant advice

amyngary

Mouseketeer
We are planning a last-minute Thanksgiving trip, and we will be at VWL for the first time. We have been to Whispering Canyon cafe several times, and we have done Hoop-Dee-Doo as well. If we can only fit in one VWL restaurant for breakfast and one for dinner, which would you choose?

And secondly, since we are DVC members and have been to WDW many many times and have eaten at MANY on-property restaurants (and sadly cannot get ADRs for most of our favorites), I'd love to hear your favorite newer restaurant anywhere on property except Disney Springs. We are not big fans of that area - I always wish we could go without kids - it looks like tons of fun for adults, but not as much fun with 3 kids :-)

Thanks for your help!

If you can only fit in one, Artist Point. It happens to be amongst the easiest to get an ADR for.

And while not newer, Sanaa is actually easier to get an ADR for and is lovely and kids would enjoy a late lunch there.

I'd do breakfast at Roaring Fork or lunch at Whispering Canyon.

Favorite newer restaurant that I've tried so far is Skipper Canteen.

Thanks for the advice. I did snag ADRs at both Artist Point and Skipper Canteen. I was on the fence about Artist Point mostly because it's more expensive and we have three kids. I wondered if we'd be better off doing the Fort Wilderness dinner instead, but I think I'll keep AP for now.

And I'm glad to hear you liked SC - I've read mixed reviews.

I do plan to do a couple of quick breakfasts at Roaring Fork as well, and it's good to hear an endorsement for it. We usually stay at Bay Lake, and their QS is only OK for breakfast (but their flatbreads at lunch/dinner are YUMMY). BUT I've always loved the QS breakfast at Mara (AKL), so I thought we'd give VWL QS a try this trip.

We have also enjoyed Sanaa on prior trips; however, since it's been YEARS since we've done Boma, we are doing that instead of Sanaa this time. I figure if we have an evening that is unfilled during the portion of the trip when we are staying at AKL, we can generally find a table at Sanaa last minute.

Thanks again!

Our last trip dh and I ate at AP and the kids ate at roaring forks and watched a movie in the room. :) If you have littles that is not an option! Our kids would have liked AP fine but they certainly would not appreciate it well enough for the price!

Go to Olivia's. It usually is not that difficult to get an ADR there.

Thanks for the advice. I did snag ADRs at both Artist Point and Skipper Canteen. I was on the fence about Artist Point mostly because it's more expensive and we have three kids. I wondered if we'd be better off doing the Fort Wilderness dinner instead, but I think I'll keep AP for now.

And I'm glad to hear you liked SC - I've read mixed reviews.

I do plan to do a couple of quick breakfasts at Roaring Fork as well, and it's good to hear an endorsement for it. We usually stay at Bay Lake, and their QS is only OK for breakfast (but their flatbreads at lunch/dinner are YUMMY). BUT I've always loved the QS breakfast at Mara (AKL), so I thought we'd give VWL QS a try this trip.

We have also enjoyed Sanaa on prior trips; however, since it's been YEARS since we've done Boma, we are doing that instead of Sanaa this time. I figure if we have an evening that is unfilled during the portion of the trip when we are staying at AKL, we can generally find a table at Sanaa last minute.

Thanks again!
well Ft. Wilderness is not VWL but I do think that with 3 kids, Trail's End will be a much better fit. It gets great reviews, it is much less expensive and there is a holiday sleigh ride there.

well Ft. Wilderness is not VWL but I do think that with 3 kids, Trail's End will be a much better fit. It gets great reviews, it is much less expensive and there is a holiday sleigh ride there.

Oooh, I forgot about the sleigh ride. I will have to look into that! That's been on our list for years.

I know Ft. Wilderness is not exactly VWL, but I figure while we are close, it's our chance to visit Ft. Wilderness since we usually don't want to deal with the travel required.

Go to Olivia's. It usually is not that difficult to get an ADR there.
We stayed at OKW last trip, so we got a lot of Olivia's then. With three kids, I always try to coordinate our dining with places near where we are staying - we usually stay at a new place every year or so, and it gives us an excuse to try new restaurants :-)

But we did enjoy Olivia's a lot. In fact, my DD11 who is named Olivia just asked me the other day if we are going to eat there. They even gave her a signed card since the restaurant "was named after her".

Background - we are DVC owners homed at VWL. 12 years with WL Restaurants....

EVERY DAY - breakfast at Whispering Canyon. 12 years, 16 days per year. This is the place to eat Breakfast :). But have a ressie.... seen too many walk ups with 3 children stuck for a very long time.

Artist's Point - Jury still out. One day Great, next day sad. Personal suggestion? CAB - to the Grand Floridian, or to the Contemporary. Pick one of Citrico's, Narcoosses, or California Grill.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

It might not be that "special" but the favourite new place on our last trip was Blaze Pizza. Tiffins was the worst.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter