VMK Unleashed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well theres still some hope with me. however even if they DO go through with
it it just wont be the same, I'd sign up for sure but i just dont know I mean I've
already moved on. Plus Spring 09 is a long time to wait so i wont worry about it
now :) But id be happy to discuss.

But, due to VMK's complexity over Habbo, wouldn't a retro be far harder to create?

I'm not completly sure, but if some of our DIS'ers can find out the information that they have, like the database, some could have gathered more then that. Though you are asking the wrong person about this, I still stick to my belief and think that some did take some VMK programing files and have it.

I'm not completly sure, but if some of our DIS'ers can find out the information that they have, like the database, some could have gathered more then that. Though you are asking the wrong person about this, I still stick to my belief and think that some did take some VMK programing files and have it.

So your saying, I could've pulled together a retro will all the files. I was told we couldn't do it like habbo.

THE ABOVE DOES NOT MEAN I WAS EVER GOING TO DO IT.

So your saying, I could've pulled together a retro will all the files. I was told we couldn't do it like habbo.

THE ABOVE DOES NOT MEAN I WAS EVER GOING TO DO IT.

In a way, I dont believe that someone could easily put it together like a habbo retro, but I believe that someone could put together a VMK retro over time. And judging by the many computer savy people, I was surprised that it took this long to do it. Then if someone actually pulled it off they could give out the tools they used to make it with or just upload the entire game itself to where you needed to host it somewhere, then thats where the trouble starts. This VMK Unleashed should be careful about what they use and they should make sure that this isn't a VMK retro because Sulake has been known to sue, they even sued 4 teenagers for scamming $4000 dollars worth of virtual items, and won, they all went to jail too. And now that they have a bigger company that is even more worried about copyright infringements they should watch out, Disney lawyers even went after the Oregon Ducks for using donald duck as their mascot after Walt Disney said it was ok and he died, they eventually showed the lawyers a picture of Walt and the coach, shaking hands, both wearing Oregon Ducks jackets with Donald Duck on the front. Just an example of how ruthless Disney lawyers are.

I have a feeling that this could be very well like a Retro Habbo Hotel, yes I dont think for a second that some people didn't gather up VMK's programing files and kept it, I mean they had about a month or two to get it done. There are thousands of Habbo Retros on the internet and I'm surprised that a VMK retro or clone or whatever hasn't been made by now. Someone will probably create a easy to set up VMK game zip file and then everyone and their mothers can host an illegal VMK game. However, since alot of the items on VMK were probably hand drawn it wont be as easy to make items for a VMK retro. But then again I have no clue on how VMK items were made.

Sulake is very bad with people stealing game programing, it has both happened to Habbo Hotel and Coke Music, so its only a matter of time for VMK.

What this person is saying is that it is VMK and then its not, which sounds a lot like VFK.

ETA: I would also like to point out GPDOT's VMK Revisited, GPDOT has stated that he will be allowing people to download VMK Revisited to their computer, now this may be a bit controversial, what GPDOT is doing is he is giving the tools to the person, all the person has to do is plug in the working MMO game parts and they have themselves a brand spanking new VMK MMORPG free to do whatever they please with it. Unless GPDOT can make his program air tight, meaning that he makes it almost impossible to hack, I wouldn't suggest releasing it to the public.

Interesting thought, but the fact that it is in the public space means that you yourself with a small amount of effort and a bit of knowledge (non-hacking) could download and have it for yourself without the need for me to bundle it. I maintain that if I am asked by Disney or a subsidiary that I will pull the site and materials immediately.

Turning it into a MMOG after that would still require a fair amount of knowledgeable effort on the part of an individual or group. At that point they have modified my piece and made it their own. True they would be leveraging my work, and it would make it quicker for them, but they would still be bearing the full burden of breaking a copyright.

I can tell you that the Sulake system is based in Adobe Director and Flash from the standpoint of VMK. The ART is the main point of this situation. The MMOG portion of a game can be generated by MANY other means. There are off the shelf and freeware MMOG software programs available.

Disney's copyright is the ultimate deciding factor. I love Disney, the real Disney. I would not look to use their images for monetary gain, only for the joy they inspire. This is the reason I don't allow paid advertisements, sell items, or accept donations. Disney, the true Disney is important to me.

...This VMK Unleashed should be careful about what they use and they should make sure that this isn't a VMK retro because Sulake has been known to sue, they even sued 4 teenagers for scamming $4000 dollars worth of virtual items, and won, they all went to jail too. ...

This is a case of theft not copyright infringement; the key factor was that their members paid money for items that were taken/stolen.

Thanks

GPDOT

It ain't gonna happen.

Not and maintain the Disney imagery. Disney themselves would immediately put a stop to it.

If you want VMK back, keep bugging Disney about it. Don't expect someone else to create it again. It will fail miserably and the people who put their time and effort into it will either be heavily fined, go to jail or both.

I still don't know what those pictures WWEDUDE found in the database were for. They had a bunch of pirate people that looked like VMK characters come to life.

Jacksparrow, and a bunch of others.

I still don't know what those pictures WWEDUDE found in the database were for. They had a bunch of pirate people that looked like VMK characters come to life.

Jacksparrow, and a bunch of others.

That was VMK Stories, which was a game meant for VMK but never happened,

What was VMK Stories?

Who told you about VMK Stories? VMKS was an action-adventure game that we were developing as a possible addition to VMK, some of you got a peek at it when pictures of it got leaked by an industrious player who found a backdoor to the VMK Central computer.

Remember my pal PirateVinnie? He made an appearance in VMKS!

VMK Stories was like many things we develop here at the Walt Disney Company – we try and test many rides, technologies and other forms of entertainment at Disney, some get things made and some don't.

Interesting thought, but the fact that it is in the public space means that you yourself with a small amount of effort and a bit of knowledge (non-hacking) could download and have it for yourself without the need for me to bundle it. I maintain that if I am asked by Disney or a subsidiary that I will pull the site and materials immediately.

Turning it into a MMOG after that would still require a fair amount of knowledgeable effort on the part of an individual or group. At that point they have modified my piece and made it their own. True they would be leveraging my work, and it would make it quicker for them, but they would still be bearing the full burden of breaking a copyright.

I can tell you that the Sulake system is based in Adobe Director and Flash from the standpoint of VMK. The ART is the main point of this situation. The MMOG portion of a game can be generated by MANY other means. There are off the shelf and freeware MMOG software programs available.

Disney's copyright is the ultimate deciding factor. I love Disney, the real Disney. I would not look to use their images for monetary gain, only for the joy they inspire. This is the reason I don't allow paid advertisements, sell items, or accept donations. Disney, the true Disney is important to me.

This is a case of theft not copyright infringement; the key factor was that their members paid money for items that were taken/stolen.

Thanks

GPDOT

To reply to the last part, yes I know that :) but it just shows you that Sulake has a knack for lawsuits as well.

So not only Disney would go after the person that owns the retro, Sulake might as well too because they are using their work and programming without any permission whatsoever.

Even though VMK was a lot of fun in the beginning, no one will ever be able to reproduce it.

I'm not gonna lie, way back when I was Flipperman. Flipperman was poor and decided to use a certain code generator. 10 Year Ban.
Flipperman go bye-bye. Now a Jedi he swore to never again follow the Dark Side that is cheating.
Of note, a certain VMKU made this code generator.

I'm not gonna lie, way back when I was Flipperman. Flipperman was poor and decided to use a certain code generator. 10 Year Ban.
Flipperman go bye-bye. Now a Jedi he swore to never again follow the Dark Side that is cheating.
Of note, a certain VMKU made this code generator.

I can back up his story about the VMKU part,

heres a link from a DIS archive: http://www.disboards.com/archive/index.php/t-1234839.html

I'm not sure what VMKU stand for but I have a pretty good guess...

However It can be likely it stands for something else.

But just being able to make a code generator for a game isn't education enough to make a fully functioning MMORPG like VMK.
Anyone (and I include myself) can make a macro to get the Sparrow codes.
It is BUTT simple to do.

But can I code a game? No way.

But more power to them. I hope they can succeed, but if they do have success I bet either Sulake or Disney has something to say about it.

No the original point was the coding of a MMORPG is difficult for any group of people to just make. You don't just wake up and say OMG I know how to use Macromedia Director and can program lines and lines of code.

Then someone said that he got HIS previous Sparrow code generator from a member of the VMKU team....thereby, giving some sort of coding credence to their team.

Same difference.
The team who is strategizing on how to put together VMK Unleashed.

I would rather be coy and say the VMK Unleashed team had a member who supposedly had written a code or something similar to cheat at getting Sparrow Codes that to say a Member of Falling Star had someone who supposedly cheated. It just seems nicer. :P

But once again the argument still stands, making a cheat to get Sparrow codes does not a fully functioning MMORPG make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter