Viva Italia Trip report 9/30-10-8,2007

disneytraveler

<font color=purple>will the real celeb please step
I arrived at Rome airport around 12:15 pm on Sunday. I waited
for my luggage to make its way around the carousal . Finally around an hour later i picked it up and i was on my way out ! I was greeted by Leo, one of the Adventure by Disney Guides. He asked me why i chose Disney and if i traveled overseas before. I chose this tour because its a Disney product and it has features that other tours do not have. As for the second half of the question, i have traveled previously before to Ireland,London, Switzerland, Germany all on group tours. Last year i went to Sweden to attend a magic convention. This was my first time to Italy!

I was taken to the Exedra Hotel by my driver .It took about 45 minutes to get there. At the reception desk , i met Heidi , the other Adventure Guide. While at the hotel, i met some of the other people who were on the tour. Heidi took us on a tour of the hotel. By the time it was finished , my luggage was already in my room with a nice surprise, a gift bag!

After resting for a short time, i visited a church across from the hotel. It is named the Santa Maria degli Angell . The inside of it so beautiful!
It was hard to decide what to photo. I did finally take some pictures.(photos
coming soon!)

In the evening, there was a nice group reception at the hotel where
we met each other. It was followed by dinner. I ordered sea bass with dill
and spinach! For dessert, a warm pear tart with icecream. The dinner was wonderful.

To be continued! :love: :wizard:

Thanks the beginnings of your trip report! Since we are doing this trip in 2008 it's great to be reading your experiences.

I was taken to the Exedra Hotel by my driver. It took about 45 minutes to get there. At the reception desk , i met Heidi , the other Adventure Guide. While at the hotel, i met some of the other people who were on the tour. Heidi took us on a tour of the hotel. By the time it was finished , my luggage was already in my room with a nice surprise, a gift bag!

I see you did not stay at the advertised Bernini Hotel. I realize ABD states they can change accommodations but were you satisfied with the Exedra? Was it in a good location? Did you know which hotel you were staying at before you left for Rome? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just so exited. ;)

Steve, don't know where I should ask my questions, but I think I'll do it on this thread because the others reading might be interested in your answer.

How did you handle the jet lag? Were you wishing you had gone early or were you able to adjust? I noticed you spent some time resting after you got there...were you OK after that?popcorn::

Redzinner, I remember Steve saying before he left that he was staying at the Excedra...

Steve, don't know where I should ask my questions, but I think I'll do it on this thread because the others reading might be interested in your answer.

How did you handle the jet lag? Were you wishing you had gone early or were you able to adjust? I noticed you spent some time resting after you got there...were you OK after that?popcorn::

Redzinner, I remember Steve saying before he left that he was staying at the Excedra...

Hi 3P!:) I was able to adjust ok to the jet lag. I just rested a very short time
i think. I wanted to shave and unpack so i just took maybe an a little over an hour to relax. From last years travel i was more used to the jet lag .

As for the hotel, i thought the hotel was beautiful. My room was rather small
and did not have a chair for the desk. The size of the room maybe due to Romes spaces or geography. The room was nice and very comfortable to sleep in. The meals that we had were wonderful. Breakfast buffet with lots
to offer , the group meal was great. Its location was right in the center of Rome.

After breakfast we left at 830 am by bus to drop us off across the Coloseum where the walking tour will start. Our local tour guide was terrific!:wizard: The bus dropped us off at a great spot for pictures across the street from the Coloseum. Then we had a private tour inside of it. It is actually oval in shape and not a circle or round! It is amazing that this is still
so preserved. You can see Constantines Arch from here also. There are lots of steep steps to walk up to the top level. If you don't want to walk there is
a good elevator to take you up. I took the elevator.;) From the Coloseum,
we walked over to the Forum. Just before it is the Arch of Titus!

It was now 12:30pm and time for lunch! The tour included lunch at Re Degli
Mamici . Its a family run place. A nice salad followed by 4 different brick oven
pizzas were served. If this was not enough , then dessert , Tiramsu and coffee!:)

After lunch, the tour continued to the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain
and finally the Pantheon! I did not walk up the Spanish Steps but took a few
pictures of it. The fountain was great to see also. Our guide told us that if we throw a coin in the fountain over our right shoulder , then it means we will
return some day. Italy so far has been amazing and beautiful. So i tried my luck and threw a coin in.

The rest of the day was left to us to enjoy Rome. I exlpored the streets on my own. Alot of street signs are on the buildings. I wandered around for a few hours and found a outside cafe for dinner. I ordered fettucine with porcine mushrooms. It was big plate full of it and i ate all of it. No room for dessert!:goodvibes

Next day its off to the Vatican:)

Looking forward to your continued report! Thanks for sharing!! ABD is something that I dream of doing one day with my family. In the meantime, I'm having fun living thru everyone else's adventures!!!

Great report so far Steve! Looking forward to reading more!:)

Hi Steve :wave2:

The trip is sounding like so much fun! Of the places you visited on the first day which one stood out the most to you?

I'm looking forward to your next installment! :)

Hi Steve :wave2:

The trip is sounding like so much fun! Of the places you visited on the first day which one stood out the most to you?

I'm looking forward to your next installment! :)

:wave2: Hi Tammy!
The Coloseum stood out most to me. Thanks:goodvibes

subbing:) I look forward to doing a european adventure in the near future, interested to read your report.

Next day -Vatica City and St Peters Basillica. The Vatican Museum has alot of rooms ,about 22 ! To see them all it would take a week to visit them. We had a reservation to see 2 of the rooms. Theres the map room and the entrance way with the all the statues. It was amazing to see all these statues preserved! Some of the statues were given glass eyes .

The inside of the Basillica is so beautiful. The paintings are actually a mosaic of various stones !

The tour finsined at 11:30 and we took the bus back to the hotel. We had until 6:15 pm as free for ourselves. I found a good place for lunch . I ordered 2 pannini sandwhiches . Thuy
were tasty. There was a dessert counter to. Heidi and Leo recommeded the conolo. It is a conoli! It was big also! The cream filling was so rich . A good recommendation i thought!
After lunch, i walked around for some exercise until i decided
to see one of the attractions for the last time. I went to see the Trevi Fountain again. It was very hot and sunny so i bought a gelato . I took some more pictures of the fountain
while i was there.

We had our last dinner in Rome at the Marino Restaurant. The dinner was 3 course meal starting with an antipasti mix and then a ricotta chese crepe. This was really delicious!

We had a choice for the main courseof either baked chicken or lemon escalope(veal). I ordered the veal. It was very tender ! Veal with lemon and olive oil is very different and yet
taste better than the veal in the US! I shared a bottle of wine with the people i was sitting with. Dessert was an assortment of homemade desserts.

I will get my Rome pictures developed before continuing.

Hurry, Hurry, I can't hardly wait for your next installment!!!:yay: :yay:

Italy is a dream of mine.

My question concerns my 7 year old...were there many kids on the trip, how did they seem to enjoy it, was it too much information overload for them?

Thanks in advance!!:cutie:

Hurry, Hurry, I can't hardly wait for your next installment!!!:yay: :yay:

Italy is a dream of mine.

My question concerns my 7 year old...were there many kids on the trip, how did they seem to enjoy it, was it too much information overload for them?

Thanks in advance!!:cutie:

On my trip there were several families with chidren. The adventure giudes really paid alot of attention to them. The junior adventurers often had their own activities with the guides. It was a joy to see families traveling! The kids enjoyed the trip alot . I dont think it was an overload of information.

I can certainly vouch for the children having a tremendous time. My daughter, Anna, who is 4, had an awesome time. I assisted her with writing, but she felt so important being with the older kids. She loved the activities at the Colosseum, the Disney movie night, etc. I can't go into much detail yet, as I am still recovering from jet lag. Going was not so much a problem, as was adjusting to coming back. We are all still a little thrown on that one.

scan0006.jpg

At the Coloseum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter