Viva Italia and the Rest Trip Report - Almost Live!

whayes

Mouseketeer
We will be going to Europe in less than one week. I cannot believe it! I thought it would be fun to blog about our trip so that others can enjoy it as well. This is my first blog, so I beg you to bare with me. I don't think I will be as eloquent as others on DISboards, but I will do my best. I have already posted a pre-trip post. Feel free to check it out http://vivaitalia2008.wordpress.com! Enjoy!

One carry-on for 18 days under 20 pounds! :upsidedow I am so impressed!

Have a great trip. I look forward to reading your blog, after we return from our European holiday.

Yippee! I will be on that same trip with William (whayes). I too am impressed with your light packing, William. We just bought more light weight luggage, so I can stay under 50 pounds. DH and I are packing two 25" suitcases (checked) and one 17" carry on. And I still feel that I am going to be short on clothes. I am bringing a bit of Tide to hand wash things as needed. But I don't want to have to carry around wet clothes with me all the time either.

I have avoided reading any trip reports because I don't want to spoil any surprises. I also decided just to watch a few specials on each of the cities, mostly Rick Steve's. This is totally different for me. I am usually a super planner and read every guide available. But I want the whole tour to be an entire learning experience for both of us. Plus, I have a tendency to play tour guide, if I have done a lot of study on a destination. That can get on DH's nerves a bit, especially if we already have a tour guide.

Wow, am I ever excited!

We had to cut down on our clothes in order to pack light. We plan on handwashing as much as possible. We got very lightweight clothes in order to do this effectively. We also plan to wash at a laundromat as often as needed. According to some tips from other DISers, it does not take much more than an hour to do it since the laundromats are near the hotels in Rome and Venice.

Eva - I'm sure you will be very surprised going without knowing the "secrets". Most of the trip reports did not tell the really good secrets, so I still think I will experience the surprises.

It is almost here! I cannot wait any longer. Does anyone have a time machine? ;)

Well I have my 1 suitcase packed and need to know if I overdid it. I have 1 pair of jeans , pants, dress pants, capris, and 2 shorts. Three dress tops and 5 tee shirts. I also brought my bathing suit. Do I need that? Everything esle I know i am ok on. Any suggestions are welcomed. I also bought a necklace wallet for my money and credit cards. Thanks for your help.
Whooper

That sounds good to me! If you want some more help, check out the packing list from Rick Steves. Here is the link. I think it is a good idea to bring a swimsuit. You never know when you might want to take a dip or sit in a spa and sooth away sore muscles. There is a nice picture of a pool at the Borgo di Artimino. I think it will still be pretty warm there right now, so a dip in the pool might be the thing to do.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! It is less than 4 days for me now!!

Whayes,
Thank you for your help! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my e-mail. I know you must be getting ready for your trip too.Enjoy your Viva Italia trip!!
Whooper

We are finally on our way. I have updated my blog. Please check it out and check back often. I will try to post as often as I have internet access.

Thanks!

Arrivederci!

:cool1:

Yippee! I will be on that same trip with William (whayes). I too am impressed with your light packing, William. We just bought more light weight luggage, so I can stay under 50 pounds. DH and I are packing two 25" suitcases (checked) and one 17" carry on. And I still feel that I am going to be short on clothes. I am bringing a bit of Tide to hand wash things as needed. But I don't want to have to carry around wet clothes with me all the time either.

I have avoided reading any trip reports because I don't want to spoil any surprises. I also decided just to watch a few specials on each of the cities, mostly Rick Steve's. This is totally different for me. I am usually a super planner and read every guide available. But I want the whole tour to be an entire learning experience for both of us. Plus, I have a tendency to play tour guide, if I have done a lot of study on a destination. That can get on DH's nerves a bit, especially if we already have a tour guide.

Wow, am I ever excited!

Have a wonderful trip, Eva and Steve! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

We have officially started our Viva Italia tour. We met Eva and Steve and had a great first evening.

If you are reading my blog, am I doing at least an OK job. It is my first and I don't want to be boring.

Thanks!

If you check in again during your trip...tell Janet T that Mary says Ciao and we miss her at work :)

Checked out your trip report - great start! Who are your tour guides? If you have James - tell him mary & chad wish they were there.

If you check in again during your trip...tell Janet T that Mary says Ciao and we miss her at work :)

Checked out your trip report - great start! Who are your tour guides? If you have James - tell him mary & chad wish they were there.

I will say hello for you! We have Cinzia and Tina. They are great!

Thanks for giving Janet a big hello from us!

We had Cinzia last year - I didn't realize she was back with ABD. She was great - if she remembers the Tuscany Tour conga around the bus - that was our group.

Enjoy every moment.

We are enjoying your trip report

Glad you're enjoying yourself! Looking forward to more of your report! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

I'm actually enjoying the pictures of the food! My son and I are not very adventurous eaters, so seeing "regular" food is comforting. I read somewhere today that the water in Rome is all potable, so you can just drink it or fill up your water bottle from any fountain anywhere. Have you tried that? I wouldn't do that in a million years here!

I'm actually enjoying the pictures of the food! My son and I are not very adventurous eaters, so seeing "regular" food is comforting. I read somewhere today that the water in Rome is all potable, so you can just drink it or fill up your water bottle from any fountain anywhere. Have you tried that? I wouldn't do that in a million years here!

I have been a little lax recently with the food pics. I will try to take more!

I have had the city water several times. It is supposed to flow to the city directly via the aqueducts. One of the guides took a photo of me drinking the water near the "Spanish Steps" It is not that bad. It kind of tastes like mineral water.

Thanks for all of the comments! It is kind of fun to relive the day by keeping a blog!

Cool! I have enjoyed reading your trip report. Although, you have done little for my trepidation in regards to the ice breaker game. Not looking forward to that part, really. :rolleyes1

I just found your blog and I'm enjoying it!

Say "Hi" to Fred & Mary Ann, they are my parents and are touring with you. I keep trying to see if they are in any pictures you post on your blog, but so far they are not.

Your Blog is wonderful, the trip sounds like an amazing time.

Thank you for sharing with us all, and hope the rest of the trip is all you dream it would be.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter