Visitor Toll Pass update

leebee

DIS Veteran
I got this in my email this morning (in response to an email I sent months ago):

"Thank you for contacting Visitor Toll Pass (VTP) Support. We do apologize for the delay.
You may get the Visitor Toll Pass through the Google Play store and/or Apple App store. Once you have downloaded the app, you may pick up a hangtag at our Visitor Toll Pass vending machine located on Level 1, Terminal A, at Orlando International Airport.

Visitor Toll Pass is a hangtag that is placed on the rental vehicle’s rearview mirror. Using VTP, drivers can automatically pay tolls electronically on all Florida toll roads without needing to stop in cash toll lanes. Those using a hangtag pay the lowest toll rate and avoid incurring any additional fees. Visitor Toll Pass offers an alternative to costly rental car toll payment programs while traveling in Florida.

At the end of your trip, you have three options to return the pass:
1. Drop the hangtag in the large grey, purple and orange Visitor Toll Pass drop/mailbox located at the Orlando International Airport in the:

• Pedestrian tunnels from rental car return parking garage to Terminal A
• Pedestrian walkways from rental car return parking garage to Terminal A

2. Drop the hangtag at the toll pass counter on Level 1, Terminal A, of Orlando International Airport. The counter is open seven days a week from 8 AM to 12 AM (Midnight) Eastern Standard Time.

3. Mail the VTP hangtag to: 4974 ORL Tower Rd. Orlando, FL 32807. Include the reservation name and account/reservation number in the envelope with the hangtag.

Please be aware that should you forget to return the hangtag, a $10 fee will be charged to your credit card saved on file, a minimum of 21 days after the end of your trip. However, if we receive the hangtag, you will be reimbursement the $10 fee.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to review our FAQ section or call VTP Support at 407-690-5300. VTP Support is open Monday- Friday from 7:30 AM to 7 PM and Saturday 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM Eastern Standard Time."

SO... maybe it's starting up again?

Hoping someone who is going in the next few months can confirm this is up and running again. It worked wonderfully 2 years ago, I missed it on our trip last November. We have another trip in November this year, we fly in from west coast so it is a great option.

I set up the app and will check it out on my upcoming trip in 2 weeks… will report back.

A status update is on the agenda for the CFX board meeting on Thursday. I'll check the video as soon as it's up and report back.

Thanks for the update! This was not active during my trip in Feb and I was wondering if the program would make a comeback. Made going thru the tollbooths easy and worry free in the past!

Any idea if this can be started at the Miami Airport? We're combining this trip with a cruise so flying in and out of Miami instead of Orlando.

Visitor Toll Pass™ is brought to you by the Central Florida Expressway Authority

They are the ones who own/operate toll roads in greater Orlando that are not state owned .... they don't exist in Miami . . .

OK -- so this may be redundant at this point, but I just watched the board meeting on the county's TV channel, and it is confirmed that the system went live on June 8.

The Visitor Toll Pass operation is now fully automated, requiring registration via the smart phone app and obtaining the transponder from a vending machine which reads the QR code on phone screen. I emailed them asking if there is a provision for people who don't have a smart phone, and the answer was NO.

An interesting point revealed in the meeting Q&As: the app takes a $10 deposit when the transponder is dispensed. If the tag is not returned in one of the drop boxes, the deposit is retained. However, users are free to keep the tag and use it on their next trip. The only reason I can see for intentionally doing that might be if someone is arriving at MCO but departing FL thru some other gateway, and they might want to use it on travels outside the Orlando area. The tag is valid only on Florida roads, both CFX & Turnpike (i.e., E-PASS & SunPass); it is not valid on E-ZPass roads in other states.
Any idea if this can be started at the Miami Airport? We're combining this trip with a cruise so flying in and out of Miami instead of Orlando.
At this time, it is only available at MCO. However, the automation makes it scalable, and CFX intends in the future to offer it to other agencies for a licensing fee. I could certainly see it expanding to Orlando-Sanford Airport, as that's within (or bordering) the CFX service area. They're also looking into the possibility of selling E-ZPass compatible UNI transponders from the same vending machines in the future.

Last edited:
OK -- so this may be redundant at this point, but I just watched the board meeting on the county's TV channel, and it is confirmed that the system went live on June 8.

The Visitor Toll Pass operation is now fully automated, requiring registration via the smart phone app and obtaining the transponder from a vending machine which reads the QR code on phone screen. I emailed them asking if there is a provision for people who don't have a smart phone, and the answer was NO.

An interesting point revealed in the meeting Q&As: the app takes a $10 deposit when the transponder is dispensed. If the tag is not returned in one of the drop boxes, the deposit is retained. However, users are free to keep the tag and use it on their next trip. The only reason I can see for intentionally doing that might be if someone is arriving at MCO but departing FL thru some other gateway, and they might want to use it on travels outside the Orlando area. The tag is valid only on Florida roads, both CFX & Turnpike (i.e., E-PASS & SunPass); it is not valid on E-ZPass roads in other states.

At this time, it is only available at MCO. However, the automation makes it scalable, and CFX intends in the future to offer it to other agencies for a licensing fee. I could certainly see it expanding to Orlando-Sanford Airport, as that's within (or bordering) the CFX service area. They're also looking into the possibility of selling E-ZPass compatible UNI transponders from the same vending machines in the future.
Thank you for all the extra information. Remember if you decide to keep the tag make sure you unassign your rental vehicle at drop off.

Thanks for posting this! After years of only using ME it has been a new learning experience catching up on rental cars and driving info. Dont know what I would do without Disboards!

Can someone please report back how their experience was? We used this a while ago and loved it. We would like to know how the new procedure works. TIA

With the news that all FL toll roads now accept EZPass you should be able to bring your own transponder or order one from any of the states in the eastern half of the country that use EZPass. I'm sure someone will do a writeup on which is the cheapest and easiest to obtain soon. I know that with my IPass from IL, it takes me just a couple minutes to input the rental car information through the website.

Does one generally need to remove or disable any devices/transponders that the car rental agencies put in their vehicles in order to avoid being double charged, or is it enough to display the Visitor Toll Pass (or supply your own device if you have it)?

Does one generally need to remove or disable any devices/transponders that the car rental agencies put in their vehicles in order to avoid being double charged, or is it enough to display the Visitor Toll Pass (or supply your own device if you have it)?
Depends on the rental company, some of them have a switch you have to have in the correct position, some have a box the rental company's tag has to be slid into, and some only use toll by plate so you don't have to do anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter