visiting Washington D.C.

disneykins

DIS Veteran
We want to visit DC this summer and need to find out about theme parks in the area. We plan on 2 days touring DC and museums, and maybe 2 more days near Philadelphia, so a day at a park would be a reward for the kids after the sightseeing stuff. Anything else interesting around Washington, Philadelphia area in early August? Where would be a good place to stay, moderate price maybe outside the big cities and we could drive in for the day.
Thanks.

Have you thought about Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia? There is an amusement park and a water park nearby, too.

amusement parks:

Williamsburg's a 2 hour drive south of D, but Busch Gardens is great.

King's Dominion is in Richmond, that's about an hour or so south of DC.

if your kids are young, Sesame Place and Dutch Wonderland are near Philadelphia.

in the philadelphia area I've stayed in Valley Forge -- a 20 mintue drive to downtown and much less expensive than staying in the city. I've stayed in Arlington, VA and driven into DC -- also a quick trip.

There is a Six Flags amusement park near Washington and another near Philly (in New Jersey).

don't waste your money at the six flags in between baltimore and dc. it is really not worth the money (dh and i went there once, never again).

the Six Flags in Jackson, NJ -- I didn't really think of it as being in "Philly" but it isn't that far -- is not up to "Disney" standards but has a lot of thrill rides, two kiddie ride areas and some interesting shows. we always seem to have a good time.

Philly...

Lets see, there is so many things to do.

Valley Forge Park is a beautiful park full of amazing things. And best of all its free. ON a summer day, you will find many things to do.. explore the visitors center, marvel at the artifacts there, climb into the huts, touch cannons, hike, walk, run, ride bikes, its wonderful....

Also there is other things to do... lets see, in the Valley Forge area there is also other things to do.

A
In Wayne, there is a quant fun shopping village.. very swanky. also in Wayne, there is Chanticleer, a very amazing walk through garden. It is very stunning, and I got to go for free as well. There is also the QVC studio tour in West Chester. Also in West Chester there is a helicopter musuem, my kids liked that. They also did free helicopter rides a while back.

Also there is Longwood Gardens a fun an stunning place to go. Near Longwood Gardens is another national park, Brandywine.. sometimes there are battle reenanctments there. About ten minutes further from Longwood Gardens is a very cool place for kids.. the Herr's Potato Chip Factory. They get to see a film, and walk through the factory.. they get to see what the machinery looks like, how pretzels are made, how long it takes to coat a Cheeto, etc.. the other wonderful thing is that anyone gets to taste potato chips hot off the cooker.. there is nothing like that, and the kids like it. You also get another sample as you leave. usually a bag of something new that they are trying to get samples of .

Best yet , the Herrs potoato chip factory tour is FREE! Yes free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter