• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Visiting the theme parks AFTER your cruise?

This is what we are doing.

3 day cruise
2 night Universal - Loews Royal Pacific
10 night Disney - AKL

We tried everything to make it work the other way round but we are already having to take 14 days off work for this -and my bf is self employed. To do an end of stay cruise meant getting back on a Tuesday for a 3 night or skipping universal and only doing 10 days in Disney. It just made more sense.

TBH we are go go go all the time at home - both work long hours and with the long flight before (coming from uk) i think a couple of more chilled days before going crazy at wdw will be just what the doctor ordered.

We have done many a cruise but never a relaxing one - just planning to chill, relax, get used to the time difference and enjoy some quality time before hand.

The only reason we do parks first cruise second is that we have to arrive at least one day early anyway to avoid the risk of missing embarkation, and since we are paying for a pre-night hotel anyway it is more economical to extend that stay than to book both a pre-night and a post-cruise WDW stay. But I would not hesitate to stay after if we could.

Reactions: NAB
We did the parks after a 4-night cruise on the Dream and absolutely loved it! While my mom did say that we should try out doing it first next time, we still had a blast knowing that while on the ship we still had the time after we got off of the ship to check out the parks.

Another plus was kind of the timing of it all. Our cruise left on a Monday and while yes that would mean we would be in Disney World over the weekend, it wasn't that busy for us, we went in September 2018.

We've booked a 4 night Dream cruise for next spring break, so we're planning on Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) for the weekend before the cruise and Disney (a DVC rental at Bay Lake Tower) the weekend after.

We have done it both ways and overwhelmingly prefer to do the cruise first. We find it to be much more relaxing arriving the day before the cruise, stay at a Disney resort, then use Disney transportation to port Canaveral. Then after the cruise, head back to Disney to finish up our vacation.

I agree with the paying for food concept. We got off our cruise and went to Narcoosies for dinner. We ordered apps and dessert, thinking like we were on the cruise again. It was hard to be looking at prices and checking yourself to see what you 'really' wanted as opposed to what you thought you'd give a try.

We like to do the cruise first. Going to the parks after makes getting off the ship easier since we have something to look forward to, not just going home.

Last edited:
Same here, DH and I sailed 7 nights Caribbean last April and 4 days of WDW. The cruise was perfect and relaxing, but 4 straight days at the park after, from morning 'til night. It's just too much for us. We will do the park first then the cruise after on our next trip so we can relax before going back to work.

We have done both ways. When we did after for just 3 days the kids almost forgot that we just got off a cruise. They would say was that only a few days ago seemed like a long time ago now because they were all into the parks. My husband didn’t like this because the cruise was more expensive . Even when we got home they talked about WDW first. It seemed like two different vacations even though they were the same if that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter