Visiting the Park with Injuries?

Kyjin

Mouseketeer
My dad was planning to come to LA with me right after the new year to help me move to my new apartment, and like every trip when he comes down, we were planning on doing at least a day down in the parks. Unfortunately, he was hit by a car while out on his bicycle three weeks ago. He's doing much better, and while he really can't help with my move at this point, he'd still like to come out with me for moral support. (And also because he's cooped up at home recovering and is bored out of his mind.) At this point, as long as the doctor okays it, he's still going to come out. We've been talking about what we might do while he's out here, depending on how recovery is at this point, and he mentioned still wanting to go down to the parks if possible. He has two broken ribs, and his wrist is in a cast from surgery. He's okay with walking around and will probably be more recovered by the time he comes next month, but I'd plan on taking it easy with lots of breaks/etc while we're there.

Questions:
1) What rides are downright out for him with broken ribs and a cast on his arm? (I'm assuming all the thrill rides at least)
2) What activities do you recommend for a low-key day at the parks for someone who's recovering?
3) Is this a good idea? Or should I talk him out of it?

For background, we're both huge Disney fans. I previously had APs for DL, and will be getting another one this year. He's only been to DL/CA a couple times, but was just in WDW and the Tokyo parks this year, so I don't think he'll be too bummed if he can't hit up everything. We're definitely up for more shows/trying new restaurants with much of our time as well. (Trader Sam's is a must-do since he's never been, and I think he'd like Blue Bayou since we went in Tokyo this year.)

Thanks for your advice!

I’m so sorry about your dad, that’s rough :(. I don’t have much advice except to suggest going slow and not push him with too much. DL is a ton of walking and I imagine it won’t be easy with broken ribs. I think they give special passes for injuries so he might not have to wait in long lines but I’m not positive about that.

The cast on his wrist won’t stop him from anything. My son had a cast from shoulder to wrist and nothing at Disneyland or DCA was forbidden to him.

The ribs on the other hand might be a problem. I would not go on Matterhorn, for instance. Probably not on big thunder or space, because they jolt a bit. Ah, Screamin’ is probably out too. That blastoff hurts my rib cage and I don’t have anything broken!

Doesn’t sound like he’ll have problems walking around and sightseeing, but do try to keep him protected from other guests. They do tend to walk into other people.

Have fun!

OP, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this! The easiest things to me are: Animation Academy (always fun), movie previews (boring I know), World of Color Dessert Party & Fantasmic dining package with Riverbelle Terrace Seating. (I can't imagine standing for fireworks or any evening shows are an option with the potential for strangers to shove him around.)

so any attraction where he has to brace himself, that is where he has to extend his arms to emotional support the thrill of the ride, may not be a good idea. The constant bracing may become a problem as in a typical day, most of our not extending our arms for bracing against a force, so the repetition may cause discomfort. so buzz would be good, but not much Star tours,. pirates good, not so much splash. A great trip to take in Main street, the train, mr. lincoln, Fantasyland, Tiki room, cinema and the fun acts on Main street. All the strange theme perks of disneyland. One of the obstacles to visiting Disneyland is the touring mind set that without thrills, there is no fun in disneyland. There are many elements for you two to see that perhaps you don't even know exist or why they exist, from Palm trees to the coke light to the family op at Mad hatter store to the train station at Main Street.

One that I would mention that might be out of the ordinary but I would watch out for is Peter Pan. Right at the end of the ride when you make the final turn into the unloading area is rough. Just last month i went with my family and my little sister had a bruised rib from her karate thingy and when we bumped in that final turn, she grabbed her side in pain. Just my opinion.

With the broken ribs, I'd highly recommend an ECV. Under normal circumstances, any inclines would be easy for him, but anything that may strain or cause him to have to breathe heavy is going to hurt those ribs in ways you can't imagine.

As for rides, for sure i'd avoid Matterhorn and Screamin'. Space and Big Thunder would come down to pain tolerance. Just take it easy and trust your body. It will tell you if a ride isn't going to feel good.

Thanks for the advice everyone! My dad pointed out that by the time we get to the parks, he'll be at six or seven weeks recovery, so he's hoping the ribs will be mainly healed by then. That said, I am definitely following advice on here. Our current plan is to do an easy day in DL (skipping CA since there are more thrill rides there.) Skipping all thrill rides, and focusing on more of the slower dark rides. (Luckily, his favorites are Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise, which should be doable!) I'm looking into the Fantasmic packages and might do that as a surprise for him. :) Thanks again!

I'm not a doctor, but my understand is that a fractured rib takes about six weeks to heal. I bet he'll be able to do more than expected.

I think a lot depends on his overall health and on his age.

MY father is 75. He would take longer to heal. If you are young and your father is MY age, it won’t take as long. :)

Ds didn’t need to worry about bracing his arms on anything when he had his huge cast on; he and I long ago learned to use our cores to brace, even for the pirates drop. But it’s those pesky ribs that’ll get him there.

(Truly can’t see missing dca though. Chew chew train and monsters inc? How can you miss those???)

Toy Story is probably out too. That ride is pretty rough too during movements.

I think a lot would depend on where he is with recovery with those ribs. With broken ribs, a slight sneeze or a chuckle can hurt tremendously much less a moving ride. If he is 4-6 weeks into recovery, he might be ok to go on quite a few things. I would have him test the waters on something relatively mild and then work his way up to more turbulent rides if he doesn't feel any pain or discomfort.

Some obvious ones to avoid would be Indiana jones and Star Tours. Less obvious would be Maters which does a good job of whipping you around (and into the person you are sharing the seat with). I will second the ECV recommendation. My wife now has to use one and we were worried how they would be getting around in a crowded park and it ended up making the day so much easier for her. I would also suggest renting them off site (we use one stop in the Camelot Inn and they were great) rather than the Disney ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter