Visiting new ports

Babysaurs

Mouseketeer
I've notice in the summer release Disney is apparently going to some ports they have never been too before. When they visit them for the first time do they do anything special for it or is it just like visiting any other port?
Considering the 7 night british isles cruise with new port of elfast......was origionally planning the wbta.....maybe both lol

I've notice in the summer release Disney is apparently going to some ports they have never been too before. When they visit them for the first time do they do anything special for it or is it just like visiting any other port?
Considering the 7 night british isles cruise with new port of elfast......was origionally planning the wbta.....maybe both lol
Often, the first time a ship/cruise line visits a port there's some dignitaries that will board and get a tour of the ship (possibly lunch) and present a plaque to the Captain. You can find these plaques mounted somewhere onboard. Typically not anything that involves the guests onboard.

its usually the port authorities and the local tourist board that organise something. I know for Dublin port it was a big deal that Disney put Dublin on the itinerary. It was big news for months beforehand. The cruise ships bring alot of revenue to the ports and surrounding areas and the tourist board use it as a major PR exercise. The tourist board will arrange with Disney for various groups to tour the ship while it is in port, travel agents, local media, city dignitaries so that they can promote Disney Cruise Line. Having the Disney ship in port for Dublin in particular is a sign that the economy is recovering so when Magic docked in Dublin for the first time in 2016 on the transatlantic route, there was a Welcome to Ireland display of local musicians and dancers. These events are not really for the onboard guests, but more to promote the local area and to promote Disney Cruise Line. For example, most Irish people would not have known about Disney Cruise Line before The Magic came to Dublin.

I've been on a Disney Cruise when we visited a new port and I loved that the locals came out to view and cheer the ship as we docked. It was very memorable.

Some ports have the local fireboats spray water, most have locals cheering, it all depends. Disney also sometimes gives everyone onboard a commemorative lithograph

We were on the inaugural Hawaii cruise and the ship was greeted in Kauai with a helicopter dropping thousands of tiny white orchids on it.

Common for an inaugural voyage. Not so much for an inaugural port.

That sounds awesome, are there any pictures anywhere of this?
Sometimes I think my heads screwed down a little bit too tight..I was thinking “cool I wonder what other countries/places could do this...” (thinking who else is known for one thing) “...maybe Hawaii could drop pineapples!” (Yup, not only did I pick the area that we just read about...but offered to drop pineapples on everyone’s heads!) Think I’m going to get some coffee now.

Often, the first time a ship/cruise line visits a port there's some dignitaries that will board and get a tour of the ship (possibly lunch) and present a plaque to the Captain. You can find these plaques mounted somewhere onboard. Typically not anything that involves the guests onboard.

This is what happened for the first trip to Bonaire in January. They also brought the characters down to deck 4 for the residents to have a nice send off - it was very nice seeing families lining the dock waving to the ship as we departed. :)

We were also on the first stop in San Juan, but I don't recall anything special there either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter