• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

vision disability and rides with stairs

madaboutMickey

DIS Veteran
So when I qualified for the GAC, I was always instructed to use the FP line/alternate entrance to avoid the stairs. How will that be handled now? I know I will have to explain to the CM what my needs are. Will I get a return time even though I don't have a DAS?

pretty much the same way.. tell the CM at the ride entrance that you cannot do stairs. they will then give you the appropriate instruction for that ride.

You aren't likely to get a return time unless for some reason they direct you to an alternate accessible entrance that is using "wheelchair return times" (not to be confused with the DAS). At the majority of rides, the mainstream line can be accessed (or splits off) without stairs -- by mentioning to each CM you encounter in the queue, they will direct you appropriately to avoid any stairs.

Enjoy your vacation!

You aren't likely to get a return time unless for some reason they direct you to an alternate accessible entrance that is using "wheelchair return times" (not to be confused with the DAS).

So are there specific rides that always have "wheelchair return times"? Or does it depend on how long the SB lines are? Or how many people are waiting for the accessible entrance?

Here's some examples of rides I was wondering about. I was always sent directly to the alternate entrance at BTMRR and Star Tours. And if I'm remembering correctly, they sent me through the FP lane at Space Mountain because the SB line has steps.

I went last may and only got a wheel chair return time once, but I forget which ride it was. Basically, any ride that uses the FP entrance for HA, if the standby wait time is significantly longer than the FP wait time (say a half hour or more longer), you may get a return time in order to make your wait comparable. You get a paper form with a time written on it, and return after that time to go straight through the FP line.

I don't think that this has a cutoff like FP does -- I think that if your return time is in a half hour and you return an hour later, it's no problem, but I can't swear to it. We had a 30 min wait time and returned in about 45 min, and nothing was said.

I'm fairly certain that there's a 60 minute window on wheelchair return cards. So you have an hour starting at the return time on the card in which you can use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter